What Intel processors have all Intel instruction sets and features?

Old April 23rd 11, 02:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark F[_2_]

Default What Intel processors have all Intel instruction sets and features?

Is there a table of Intel chips that lists which instruction set
extensions are supported by the chip?

Is it even possible to get all of the features on one processors? If
not, what are the things that are no longer relevant?

I want to make sure that the processor that I use in a new machine
has everything, but I can't find a table that shows all of the
features. Does anyone know of such a table?

Some extensions/features/whatever a
. additional instructions for encryption support
. support for 64-bit addressing
. support for virtualization of 64-bit operating systems
. MMX
. SSE, SSE2, SSE3 (Is SSE3 a superset)
. AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) these are for
a proposed standard. Some Intel CPUs have them,
but I'm not sure if there are other extensions for
encryption that Intel has that may be needed.
. AES-NI (I'm not sure if this the name Intel's implementation of
AES, or an add-on to AES
. TXT (Intel Trusted Execution Technology)
. VT-x (Intel Virtualization Technology)
. maximum memory support - not an extension, but an important
parameter

There also are some graphics things, including:
Intel HD Graphics, Intel Flexible Display Interface, Intel
Clear Video Technology, and Intel Clear Video HD Technology.

I don't know if any of the graphics things are of interest if
the system contains a graphics card.

There is at least one mo
. FMA3 (for 128-bit "fused multiply-add)
but I don't know if this is available yet.

(I will consider things like number of processors per chip, power
usage, speed, Turbo Boost Technology, Hyper Threading Technology,
chip set functionality, and cost when deciding what to buy,
but I don't want to choose a processor that I can't run my virtual
machines on or runs at only 1/20 the speed for encryption or some
other thing that I overlooked.)
Old April 23rd 11, 04:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Mark F wrote:
[...]

Intel's "ark" web site provides details on their processors. Wikipedia
recommended this link, to get a list of processors with AES support.

http://ark.intel.com/MySearch.aspx?AESTech=true

And sometimes, this site offers a few tidbits you can't find on
the Intel site. This particular entry is still pretty bare, and
using Intel released info.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/I...20E3-1280.html

And Wikipedia has all sorts of references, which you can use in
your investigations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES-NI

I don't think I've ever seen processors compared at the single instruction
level. Apparently, there are somewhere around 1000 instructions now, and
the compiler people just can't keep up. If you wanted real performance,
you may have to hand code critical routines in assembler (like the author
of Prime95 did for his FFT routines).

The "CPU AES benchmark" in Everest shown here, shows impressive gains for
an AES equipped processor.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...on,2538-7.html

Paul
Old May 11th 11, 09:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Such a list doesn't exist it seems, but many other lists exists which have
this kind of information in the "headers".

This is a good start, then simply select the list of processors you most
interested in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...icroprocessors

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 16th 11, 08:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shaun

.home.nl...

"Mark F" wrote in message
[...]

BloodShame,

You know so little about electronics, I wouldn't recommend that you attempt
to build your own machine. Buy a high end computer with an intel processor
from a reputable manufacturer, make sure you get the real Windows 7 install
disks with it. If you want encryption; go with windows 7 ultimate.

All the instruction sets that you listed are short cuts for programmers.
What I mean is an MMX or a SSE set is a list of special instructions and
each one is made up of simpler instructions that that processor already
recognises. These instruction sets run faster that the individual simpler
instructions because they are hard coded into the processor. If the
processor in the computer you buy doesn't have all of those instruction
sets, Windows will compensate for it.

Shaun

Old May 17th 11, 10:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Links have little to do with programming, links have to do with
information/details about processors/chips which is what OP was asking
about.

And yes programmers that want to make sure that a certain chip/processor has
these instruction sets would consult these lists.

Furthermore windows does not really compensate for these missing instruction
sets in a statisfactory way, sometimes windows might have alternative code
paths... but if applications have this remains to be seen, depends on
compiler used and macro's used
and libraries used and so forth.

Software emulation of instruction sets is not what OP was asking about.

Also perhaps some processors will execute these instruction sets differently
in regards to micro-ops and cycle count... so further close examination of
how fast these instructions really are on a certain processors (latency)
documents might be interesting.

Then there are other factors like L1 cache which is oddly never mentioned
(usually it will be 64 KB) I would make sure it is first before buying it...
32 KB would probably be very bad, though might be a bit faster too but only
for very small programs.

If original poster was interested in all these instruction sets for software
emulation he would need to look elsewhere and investigate massive ammounts
of documents for each window version and each application, this leaves
information about windows updates to be desired.

So far the general idea now I will go into your bull**** because it's so
full of bull**** it needs a bit of anti-bull****, you simply begging for
some more insight lol, which you shall receive since you seem highly
confused, but just this once perhaps, because you could be a troll just
being deliberately fokked in the head

BloodShame,

You know so little about electronics

Original question is not about electronics but chips, which I wouldn't call
"electronics"... when I think of electronics I think of visible components
interacting with each other... these chips are integrated
"electronics"/circuits which is on a different playing field... 1 billion
dollar factory playing field

I wouldn't recommend that you attempt to build your own machine.

Already did.

Buy a high end computer with an intel processor from a reputable
manufacturer, make sure you get the real Windows 7 install disks with it.
If you want encryption; go with windows 7 ultimate.

Already did sort of

All the instruction sets that you listed are short cuts for programmers.

No.

What I mean is an MMX or a SSE set is a list of special instructions and
each one is made up of simpler instructions that that processor already
recognises.

Sounds more like a question to me !

In principle no: new instructions/instruction sets are designed to be
executed by new hardware circuits which can execute
faster than individual instructions together.

Otherwise it would be pointless.

In reality chip designed might cheat and first produce a first cheap chip to
see if the instruction set catches on... which it will not because it sux,
can't fool programmers like that. These fake chips will fake the instruction
and execute slower with the other instructions or micro instructions.

Then perhaps later a real chip will come out which executes the new
instructions at full speed.

These instruction sets run faster that the individual simpler
instructions because they are hard coded into the processor.

Here you seem to contradict what you wrote before, indeed this is the case,
hardwired so the execute faster (if it's not a cheating chip )

If the processor in the computer you buy doesn't have all of those
instruction sets, Windows will compensate for it.

Perhaps but this is useless for speed, it will at least make the software
work but slower.

And it's not necessarily windows which does this... it's the compiler which
compiles it in... sometimes applications themselfes... so it depends on the
software... if the software doesn't support it then the new instruction sets
don't get used.

So it takes some time before windows is recompiled for these new
instructions and applications and so forth... so perhaps next version of
windows perhaps updates and then later new media player, new codecs and so
forth.

The lists can simply be used to see if a certain range of processors support
certain instruction sets, so I don't see what the problem is here ?!

If you want more detailed information about the execution speed of the
instruction sets per processor then he/OP will have to consult "software
optimization manuals" from AMD or INTEL.

So his original question is somewhat programming and programmer related,
it's the software after all which has to use all of this...it doesn't happen
overnight... and to be able to tell if the chip is good more information is
required, which could be in the optimization manuals.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 17th 11, 04:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shaun

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
b.home.nl...

[...]

When I said "short cuts" I did not mean links. What I meant was that
instead of writing some code to accomplish a common task, lets say for 3D
graphics, Intel and AMD have already made special instructions that does all
that for you, probably the MMX instruction set, I'm not really sure, you
just have to use the right settings for the instruction and away you go.

I used to program in assembly for a Z80 , that is an enhanced version of the
intel 8086 processor so I know the basics. We had to wirewrap our own z80
system and then add more hardware and our software to make it do something
useful, I made a radio repeater system that interfaced to a receiver and
transmitter, it had voice, transmitted morse code for identification,
recognised DTMF tones and squelch tones from a radio, this made it remotely
controlled and it all worked.

I still say that you do not have the techical background to build a computer
and make it work properly, you know nothing about electricity.
You also ask really stupid questions on the Usenet, it makes you look like
the ass that you are.

Shaun

Old May 17th 11, 11:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

I can pretend to be as dumb/stupid as I want to be, doesn't necessarily make
me really dumb/stupid ! =D

If things can be simplified/explained/remembered more easy, I'm for it !

Let's see how much you will remember in 20 years lol.

I bet you already forgot all kinds of complex details ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Old May 18th 11, 02:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shaun

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
. home.nl...

I can pretend to be as dumb/stupid as I want to be, doesn't necessarily make
me really dumb/stupid ! =D

**If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

If things can be simplified/explained/remembered more easy, I'm for it !

Let's see how much you will remember in 20 years lol.

I bet you already forgot all kinds of complex details ! =D

**Yes I have, but I still remember the fundamentals, and that is what they
are trying to teach. The only part of fundamental you know is "mental" as
in case.

Shaun

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Old May 20th 11, 02:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Krypsis

On 18/05/2011 8:22 AM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
I can pretend to be as dumb/stupid as I want to be, doesn't necessarily make
me really dumb/stupid ! =D

You were pretending? Looked way too real to be an act. I reckon you're
typecast for the stupidity role!

If things can be simplified/explained/remembered more easy, I'm for it !

Let's see how much you will remember in 20 years lol.

In 20 years, 95% or more of what he knows now will be obsolete and will
need to be "forgotten" lest it clutter up his mind.

That will be no problem for you as it appears you don't even have a mind.

I bet you already forgot all kinds of complex details ! =D

Everyone forgets that which they no longer need or use.

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Krypsis