Dust covers for computer ports

Old May 11th 11, 10:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default Dust covers for computer ports

Timothy Daniels wrote:

... What the PC needs right now is a good blow-out with compressed air
and a good vacuuming, ...

Hopefully you are using a vacuum that has been certified for use with
computers (and not just some "computer" vacuum that's meant to cleanup
the keyboard). With typical vacuum cleaners, the air rushing into the
nozzle generates static electricity that will zap your electronics.
Old May 11th 11, 03:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Nobody > (Revisited)

On 5/11/2011 2:53 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
Timothy Daniels wrote:

... What the PC needs right now is a good blow-out with compressed air
and a good vacuuming, ...

Hopefully you are using a vacuum that has been certified for use with
computers (and not just some "computer" vacuum that's meant to cleanup
the keyboard). With typical vacuum cleaners, the air rushing into the
nozzle generates static electricity that will zap your electronics.

I hate to start this old hogwash all over again, but how many failures
have you seen *personally* over this?

I'm not downplaying ESD. I've worked QA on both the "Assurance" and
"Analysis" sides, even as far as slicing and dicing components and
looking at the guts with microscopes (even the electron variety). I've
seen the craters. But I've also seen the fights where a vendor tried
using the "ESD Crutch" to try to weasel-out on truly bad components as
well.

But then again, this was back in the 70's and early 80's. Back then,
both components and boards never got the design idea of ESD. Chips
weren't including those tiny little clamping diodes (and sometimes just
very-high ohmage bleed resistors) on I/O pins, and boards weren't
designed that way either.

It's well-known that there's a "pink bag and toestraps" mafia out there.

--
"**** this is it, all the pieces do fit.
We're like that crazy old man jumping
Old May 11th 11, 05:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"VanguardLH" offered:
Timothy Daniels wrote:

... What the PC needs right now is a good blow-out with compressed air
and a good vacuuming, ...

Hopefully you are using a vacuum that has been certified for use with
computers (and not just some "computer" vacuum that's meant to cleanup
the keyboard). With typical vacuum cleaners, the air rushing into the
nozzle generates static electricity that will zap your electronics.

In the past, I've blown the dust into the air with an electric air compressor,
and held the end of a vacuum cleaner hose about a foot away to suck up
the airborne dust - which can be seen glinting in the air under the fluorescent
desklamp. Nothing touches the electronic parts during this operation, and
nothing comes close enough to allow an electrostatic discharge. The operation
is noisy, though, with both electric appliances going. The fan, OTOH, is a
purely manual operation with a damp paper towel and Q-tips.

*TimDaniels*

Old May 12th 11, 01:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Timothy Daniels wrote:
"VanguardLH" offered:
Timothy Daniels wrote:

[...]

I take mine outside and use the air compressor on it. Main thing is
to not let the air nozzle touch the fan blade if they start spinning.
I've accidentally broken a couple of fan blades like this. I've
wondered about the dust getting into the CD/DVD drives and causing
problems when blowing the dust around but so far they seem to work OK
afterwards. I usually open the CD/DVD drive if I remember and blow air
in there also. Amazing how dusty and clogged some computers can get and
still work.
Old May 12th 11, 06:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Wed, 11 May 2011 09:36:13 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
wrote:

In the past, I've blown the dust into the air with an electric air compressor,
and held the end of a vacuum cleaner hose about a foot away to suck up
the airborne dust - which can be seen glinting in the air under the fluorescent
desklamp. Nothing touches the electronic parts during this operation, and
nothing comes close enough to allow an electrostatic discharge. The operation
is noisy, though, with both electric appliances going. The fan, OTOH, is a
purely manual operation with a damp paper towel and Q-tips.

I like the idea--more effective than either by itself.

I've never had both available when I needed to blow out a computer,
though. I've usually just done it by taking it outside and grabbing
the air hose.
Old May 12th 11, 06:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Wed, 11 May 2011 19:37:18 -0500, FatterDumber& Happier Moe
wrote:

in there also. Amazing how dusty and clogged some computers can get and
still work.

Yeah--I used to work for a woodworking factory. We had dozens of
computers on the shop floor itself. Most of the time when a computer
started acting up the cure was to grab an air hose--it wasn't unusual
to find half an inch of sawdust in them. I'm amazed we didn't fry a
bunch of them from overheating but it worked.