Build Gaming PC Advice

Old May 11th 11, 11:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Craig Coope

Default Build Gaming PC Advice

On Wed, 11 May 2011 08:55:35 -0400, Paul wrote:

Craig Coope wrote:
On Fri, 06 May 2011 11:16:54 +0100, Craig Coope
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking to get back into PC gaming and want to build my first PC.
I'm by no means a PC novice but I've been out of the scene for 7 years
or so, so I'm oblivious about current CPUs and Mobos etc.

I'm looking to spend around £800 (or maybe a bit more) on the
components excluding the monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I would like to go down the Intel route and probably start on the
Nvidea path as I've always been ATI previously.

I was looking at this CPU:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel...che-95w-retail

What mobo would be best for this?
And then which RAM and PSU should I get?

When I bought my old AMD A64 3400+ back in the day the whole line (of
that socket set) was about to be phased out which to be honest wasn't
a problem as I never wanted to upgrade the CPU. Now I don't want to
buy something that's about to die. Are we on the cusp of something new
I need to wait for?

Thanks

Also this may sound retarded but is everything pretty much 64-bit now?
My 7 year old PC is an AMD 64 but I never installed a 64 bit OS as at
that time there wasn't much support.

--
The Zero ST

By the way, there are currently (13) Z68 based motherboards listed on newegg.com.
Priced from $119 to $349. I tried to download the manual for the $349 one,
but apparently it isn't on the Gigabyte site yet.

And the first Z68 review for Anandtech just went up. The LGA1155 limits
the video configurations to x16/x0 and x8/x8, similar to LGA1156, and
that is the only limitation someone interested in SLI or Crossfire might
be concerned with. And there really aren't a lot of review articles that
test that out.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4330/asus-p8z68v-review

Supports ATI Crossfire
Supports NVIDIA SLI

So now you can decide whether Z68 is the right answer, or punt and go LGA1366
(budget permitting).

HTH,
Paul

Thanks Paul and everyone else...

Will look into all of this.

--
The Zero ST
Old May 12th 11, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Craig Coope

wrote:

[...]

Would the following go together well?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/267772

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/252535

--
The Zero ST
Old May 12th 11, 03:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Craig Coope wrote:

Would the following go together well?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/267772

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/252535

The 2600K is listed here for the P8Z68-V PRO.

http://support.asus.com/Cpusupport/L...20PRO&p=1&s=39

It would be nice to have a downloadable PDF manual
for the motherboard to read first, but a previous
poster has noticed that only the German version
of the manual is available for download as of
today. I suppose you can always look at the pictures...

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...8Z68-V-PRO.zip

Paul

Where and How to build the ultimate gaming beast Rison Homebuilt PC's 2 September 16th 07 12:27 PM
! I Want to Build a Video Workstation. NOT GAMING AT ALL Whats best? Asus Motherboards 2 December 29th 06 12:37 PM
Build It: $800 Gaming PC NuQ General 1 May 16th 06 11:46 PM
Build an $800 Gaming PC Ablang Homebuilt PC's 6 June 5th 05 03:55 PM
How to build a gaming machine with a tight budget? Ivan Overclocking 9 December 22nd 04 11:07 AM