Blue screen when trying to install XP.

Old February 25th 05, 03:09 AM
OM

Default Blue screen when trying to install XP.

I've got brand new parts for everything: quality Asus SATA motherboard,
SATA hard disk, Kingston memory.

I'm trying to boot up and istall XP.
It loads up...
And somewhere along the line, I get the bluescreen.

I think I'm right in saying that it crashes when leaving the DOS mode
and goes into full Windows XP mode: this is when I get the error.

What could be causing the problem?
This happens everytime.
What should I check/look out for?

Thanks.

OM

Old February 25th 05, 03:36 AM
GFree

OM wrote:
I've got brand new parts for everything: quality Asus SATA motherboard,
SATA hard disk, Kingston memory.

I'm trying to boot up and istall XP.
It loads up...
And somewhere along the line, I get the bluescreen.

I think I'm right in saying that it crashes when leaving the DOS mode
and goes into full Windows XP mode: this is when I get the error.

What could be causing the problem?
This happens everytime.
What should I check/look out for?

Thanks.

OM

I find it rather ironic that the first phase of any XP/2000 installation
consists of staring at text on a bluescreen, in any case.

As for your problem, did you at least get past the first phase? Did the
installer manage to format & dump a whole lot of files and then reboot
normally? I'm guessing the problem occurs after the XP logo appears for
a bit and you're supposed to get into the second phase (with mouse and
all). If it's crashing here... video card problems?

I assume the proper SATA drivers were installed initially as well? I'm
sure they are, otherwise you wouldn't be able to get as far as I said.
Old February 25th 05, 07:16 AM
S.Heenan

OM wrote:
I've got brand new parts for everything: quality Asus SATA
motherboard, SATA hard disk, Kingston memory.

I'm trying to boot up and istall XP.
It loads up...
And somewhere along the line, I get the bluescreen.

I think I'm right in saying that it crashes when leaving the DOS mode
and goes into full Windows XP mode: this is when I get the error.

What could be causing the problem?
This happens everytime.
What should I check/look out for?

Did you copy the SATA drivers to a floppy and press F6 during the first 30
seconds of setup ?
--
"Even a broken clock is going to be once twice a day." - Jedidiah in
cola

Old February 25th 05, 09:51 AM
OM

thanks for both replies.

SATA drivers... erm... gulp... what SATA drivers? : )
that may be the root of my problems then?
where do i get the drivers?
the manufacturer website?
it's a seagate hard drive.

i didn't think i'd need a floppy
so i didn't get one!
can i put this on a cd?
else... i will get a temporary floppy.

Old February 25th 05, 10:38 AM
S.Heenan

OM wrote:
thanks for both replies.

SATA drivers... erm... gulp... what SATA drivers? : )
that may be the root of my problems then?
where do i get the drivers?
the manufacturer website?
it's a seagate hard drive.

i didn't think i'd need a floppy
so i didn't get one!
can i put this on a cd?
else... i will get a temporary floppy.

You will need the SATA drivers from the Asus motherboard CD or d/l then from
Asus. You will also need a floppy drive and a floppy. You will need to copy
the files to the _root of A:_ not a folder on A:.

For example, in the instance of the A7N8X Deluxe Rev2, you would copy
Si3112r.mpd, TxtSetup.oem, Si3112r.sys, and Si3112r.inf to the floppy. Press
F6 during the when prompted by setup, then install them when prompted
again.

The procedure will be similar for your motherboard.

Old February 25th 05, 01:13 PM
OM

A7N8X - hey that's what i got.
the thing is it didn't mention anything at all in the manual??

anyway... i will get a floppy drive and will give it a go.
will let u know if i have any success.

Old February 25th 05, 01:42 PM
S.Heenan

OM wrote:
A7N8X - hey that's what i got.
the thing is it didn't mention anything at all in the manual??

anyway... i will get a floppy drive and will give it a go.
will let u know if i have any success.

Okies.
If you want to slipstream the SATA drivers to CD, this will help:
http://www.maximumpc.com/how_to/reprint_2005-01-05.html

Old February 25th 05, 11:20 PM
OM

thanks for all the replies.
u were right, it was the sata problem.
i searched the asus website, but couldn't find a single reference to
the problem??
i went through every page of the damn manual: nothing.
i think i'm going to sue them for wasting several hours of my life.

and the maximumpc link above is really kewl.
i didn't use it this time, it was much quciker to install via floppy
(even though i had to frggin borrow one just to use it!).
i'll definitely use that in future.

THANKS!!