OCZ SDD drives destroyed by hard reset or power off?

Old December 17th 11, 10:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Default OCZ SDD drives destroyed by hard reset or power off?

I am getting the unpleasant feeling that my SDD is dying, again.

I have done a button style power off and one or two hard resets
recently. And now I am getting a CHKDSK error.

In any case, if the indication is correct, this will be the second
OCZ SDD that has gone belly up in my system.
Old December 18th 11, 12:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

On 17 Dec 2011 22:26:39 GMT, John Doe wrote:

I am getting the unpleasant feeling that my SDD is dying, again.

Although I don't use RAID, it seems like the only way to prevent down
time.

Old December 18th 11, 08:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
david

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 22:26:39 +0000, John Doe rearranged some electrons to
say:

I am getting the unpleasant feeling that my SDD is dying, again.

I have done a button style power off and one or two hard resets
recently. And now I am getting a CHKDSK error.

In any case, if the indication is correct, this will be the second OCZ
SDD that has gone belly up in my system.

Even solid state disks are not immune to failure. I recently had one
that admittedly is not in an office environment (it is in an amateur
radio repeater system) go bad after 3 years of 24/7 operation. The
failure mode was interesting... the system was still running (CentOS
Linux) but I could no longer write to any of the filesystem. Reads
worked fine, and the kernel was still running (without logging anything,
though). Once I rebooted it, it refused to start back up. We replaced
it, and restored the system with a backup. You do have a current backup,
don't you??
Old December 18th 11, 09:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

david none nospam.com wrote:

[...]

Lots. I would be off-line for at least 30 minutes...

I suppose a diagnostics utility from OCZ might be useful, but I
haven't looked (yet).
Old December 19th 11, 02:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie

On 12/17/2011 5:26 PM, John Doe wrote:
I am getting the unpleasant feeling that my SDD is dying, again.

I have done a button style power off and one or two hard resets
recently. And now I am getting a CHKDSK error.

In any case, if the indication is correct, this will be the second
OCZ SDD that has gone belly up in my system.

I recently (last week) had my OCZ SSD start acting badly. It was pretty
much unusable. I contacted OCZ to go through the procedure to send it
back. Jeff, a tech guy there emailed me to update the firmware on my
SSD. I did and it fixed the drive. I did have to erase the drive
(sometimes you don't) but I had a backup image on another drive, so
there was no loss.

Charlie

Old December 19th 11, 02:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 20:28:14 +0000 (UTC), david
wrote:

[...]

What you're seeing isn't a failure per se, but rather the drive
reached the end of the expected write life. There were no sectors
left that were listed as ok to write to so the drive went read-only.
Old December 19th 11, 03:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Loren Pechtel lorenpechtel hotmail.com wrote:

david none nospam.com wrote:
[...]

Then the manufacturer claims of 1.5 million hours mean time
between failure (MTBF) were all bogus. In that case, hopefully
they have stopped making those silly claims.
Old December 19th 11, 06:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In message m someone
claiming to be John Doe typed:

Loren Pechtel lorenpechtel hotmail.com wrote:

What you're seeing isn't a failure per se, but rather the drive
reached the end of the expected write life. There were no
sectors left that were listed as ok to write to so the drive
went read-only.

Then the manufacturer claims of 1.5 million hours mean time
between failure (MTBF) were all bogus. In that case, hopefully
they have stopped making those silly claims.

I don't think MTBF means what you think it means; A sample size of 1
isn't sufficient to determine whether it's bogus or not.

--
It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.
Old December 19th 11, 06:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

DevilsPGD Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage crazyhat.net wrote:

In message 4eeeb35a$0$5498$c3e8da3$eb767761 news.astraweb.com someone
claiming to be John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid typed:

Loren Pechtel lorenpechtel hotmail.com wrote:

What you're seeing isn't a failure per se, but rather the drive
reached the end of the expected write life. There were no
sectors left that were listed as ok to write to so the drive
went read-only.

Then the manufacturer claims of 1.5 million hours mean time
between failure (MTBF) were all bogus. In that case, hopefully
they have stopped making those silly claims.

I don't think MTBF means what you think it means; A sample size of 1
isn't sufficient to determine whether it's bogus or not.

Are you drunk?

From: DevilsPGD Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage crazyhat.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 22:26:25 -0800

Old December 19th 11, 11:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:

[...]

It's more likely to be a firmware issue. SSD drives have their own
processor inside, and a firmware load. And the SSD drive is "busy"
internally, even when you aren't using it. It's pretty hard to
test those firmwares, and remove all the bugs from them. The
firmware has to be "correct by design", because lab testing
simply won't uncover all the bugs. (This is something I learned
from my computer design days, is that lab testing, gets the
error rate in design down to a certain level. But if your
design techniques suck, it shows. And that's what modern
SSDs look like to me - inadequate designs, rushed out the door.)

I thought there was some SMART stat, which kept track of write life.
Maybe people should be eyeballing that, once in a while. Or perhaps,
simply recording the SMART stats every day. Then, when the device
fails, go back and look at the stats, and see if there is any reason
to suspect it was actually media.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

"233 0xE9 Media Wearout Indicator

Intel SSD reports a normalized value of 100 (when the SSD
is new) and declines to a minimum value of 1. It decreases
while the NAND erase cycles increase from 0 to the
maximum-rated cycles."

So there is a way to track it. Too bad there isn't much adherence
to standards out there. You can't really rely on all drives,
doing SMART exactly the same way. And that was true, even with
hard drives. The important parameters may be there, but many of
the others, differ from design to design.

You really need an article about SMART, that compares what the
various manufacturers and controller designs are doing, before
deciding indicators like that actually mean something.

Paul