How to keep Windows clock accurate?

Old December 17th 11, 06:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Default How to keep Windows clock accurate?

Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
through the Internet?

Thanks.
Old December 17th 11, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

John Doe wrote:
Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
through the Internet?

Which Windows?

My XPs have an NTP/internet function.

These screenshots show it http://csg.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/tips/ntp/winxp

That article suggests that it doesn't always work and also suggests
automachron http://csg.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/tips/ntp/winxp

On Win98se I used to use a little app I got from NIST which has
information on the subject http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/its.cfm
Set your computer clock via the Internet
using tools built into the operating system

It is also informative to just wander around the NIST site.

--
Mike Easter
Old December 17th 11, 06:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
ToolPackinMama

On 12/17/2011 1:25 PM, John Doe wrote:
Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
through the Internet?

You can do that through the clock itself. Click clock on taskbar, link
at bottom, internet tab...

If your PC won't keep time, you might need to replace the CMOS battery.
Old December 17th 11, 07:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Not to take anything away from any current or future reply, but...
Instead of messing with the Windows utility like my subject line
suggests, I might try using a simple utility like DS Clock or
whatever.
Old December 17th 11, 07:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In message m someone
claiming to be John Doe typed:

Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
through the Internet?

Syncs what exactly? Windows synchronizes the current time/date
automatically already, and I'm not really sure what calendar you're
talking about.

--
It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.
Old December 17th 11, 08:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

DevilsPGD wrote:
John Doe

Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
through the Internet?

Syncs what exactly? Windows synchronizes the current time/date
automatically already, and I'm not really sure what calendar you're
talking about.

Since the NTP time is expressed in the number of seconds and fractional
seconds since a specific date, its conversion to UTC results in a
fractional seconds and a calendar date as well. And leap seconds when
appropriate.

The local problems of dealing with one's timezone and its time/date as
well as daylight time adjustments are left to the individual.

--
Mike Easter
Old December 17th 11, 08:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.UseNet,free.spam
John Doe

DevilsPGD Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage crazyhat.net wrote:

In message 4eecde9f$0$2217$c3e8da3$88b277c5 news.astraweb.com
someone claiming to be John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid typed:

Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar,
like through the Internet?

Syncs what exactly? Windows synchronizes the current time/date
automatically already,

Windows XP Date and Time Properties is a piece of **** clock and
calendar utility.

and I'm not really sure what calendar you're talking about.

You might not be old enough to remember Windows XP, but it does
have a clock and calendar. If you are playing semantics, in fact
Windows XP Date and Time Properties fits the definition of
"calendar".

From: DevilsPGD Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage crazyhat.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: How to keep Windows clock accurate?
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 12:11:02 -0700

Old December 17th 11, 08:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

xposting deleted, to achp-h only

John Doe wrote:

Windows XP Date and Time Properties is a piece of **** clock and
calendar utility.

To me, your initial post looked like you didn't know how XP date/time
worked for NTP, not that you were dissatisfied with it.

Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
through the Internet?

The replies you get will be best if you characterize which v. of Windows
you are using and what NTP agent functions you are already familiar.

What kind of trouble do you have with the default function? One of the
places I was reading and link I gave indicated there was some problem
with it.

"Some people may find that Windows's time synchronisation system is
temperemental (sic) and does not always work."

But, I didn't find any mention of that at NIST, except that they felt
some necessity to provide their own Win32 app.

--
Mike Easter
Old December 17th 11, 08:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:
John Doe wrote:

"Some people may find that Windows's time synchronisation system is
temperemental (sic) and does not always work."

But, I didn't find any mention of that at NIST, except that they felt
some necessity to provide their own Win32 app.

NIST also has a page that talks about firewall interference with good
NTP function http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/firewall.cfm There
are a number of points to consider if you have any type of firewall and
are planning to use it with the NIST Internet Time service.

They also have a recently updated page full of software providers for
NTP http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/softwarelist.cfm Publishers of
Time and Frequency Software

--
Mike Easter
Old December 17th 11, 09:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.UseNet,free.spam
John Doe

John Doe wrote:

Windows XP Date and Time Properties is a piece of **** clock
and calendar utility.

To me, your initial post looked like you didn't know how XP
date/time worked for NTP,

Looks like you don't know how to write. Spell out acronyms the
first time you use them.

not that you were dissatisfied with it.

I have always been dissatisfied with POS Microsoft utilities.
Microsoft's acquisition of Systernals is bewildering. Hopefully
Systernals influence is showing up in post-Windows XP. More likely
Microsoft will just crush them, intentionally or not.

Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and
calendar, like through the Internet?

The replies you get will be best if you characterize which v. of
Windows you are using and what NTP agent functions you are
already familiar.

That is obscure.

Being a regular here, you should know that I run circles around
other Windows users. Otherwise, if you are addressing the average
reader, you need to write much more clearly.

Your obscure "NTP agent functions" should have nothing to do with
keeping correct time in Windows, given the correct time zone. If a
user accidentally clicks on one of the dates on Microsoft's POS
Date and Time Properties calendar, Microsoft's hideous logic
assumes that he is changing the date of the calendar. WHAT IDIOT
ON EARTH WANTS TO EASILY CHANGE THE DATE ON HIS CALENDAR TO
SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE ACTUAL DATE??? A troll might, Mikey, but
nobody else does. And then there's the fact that Microsoft's
calendar is otherwise useless. And yeah I know, a user can get his
own. Poor Microsoft, it might take a little programming to provide
a useful calendar function and a clock that keeps accurate time.
Poor poor Microsoft.

What kind of trouble do you have with the default function? One
of the places I was reading and link I gave indicated there was
some problem with it.

"Some people may find that Windows's time synchronisation system
is temperemental (sic) and does not always work."

But, I didn't find any mention of that at NIST,

Speech recognition would allow you to spell out acronyms without
much effort, assuming you can speak well enough.

From: Mike Easter MikeE ster.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 12:30:10 -0800

ASUS A7V333 with Athlon XP 3000+ - Incorrect Clock Speed in BIOS and Windows [email protected] Asus Motherboards 1 January 16th 07 09:35 AM
Most accurate OCR? Roman Scanners 0 November 6th 04 03:17 PM
Core clock/memory clock vs engine/memory clock ftran999 Ati Videocards 2 August 6th 04 01:29 AM
GA-7N400 MB Clock ratio and Clock Sw settings Lloyd Hanning Gigabyte Motherboards 1 December 20th 03 12:49 PM
Is their any windows Xp software that shows PCI Clock divider ?? We Live For The One We Die For The One Asus Motherboards 2 July 28th 03 11:49 PM