Windows Explorer showing a phantom drive.

Old December 3rd 11, 07:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Jason

Default Windows Explorer showing a phantom drive.

I have Windows 7 ultimate SP1 and for some time a "CD Drive I" is
showing up in Explorer where in fact it doesn't exist. The two "DVD
RW Drives" showing are correct because there are two of them.

The two DVD RW drives are showing up correctly in Computer Management
DVD/CD Rom drives. Though these have identical names.

Peter
Old December 3rd 11, 07:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Peter Jason wrote:
I have Windows 7 ultimate SP1 and for some time a "CD Drive I" is
showing up in Explorer where in fact it doesn't exist. The two "DVD
RW Drives" showing are correct because there are two of them.

The two DVD RW drives are showing up correctly in Computer Management
DVD/CD Rom drives. Though these have identical names.

Peter

If you have a "SMART" external USB hard drive, that has a
"virtual CD" feature with permanently installed read-only
software.

When the drive is plugged in, or is detected, via autorun
that virtual CD will try to install software on your computer.

According to the manufacturer, the "virtual CD" can be hidden
but not completely removed. Before carrying out the "hide"
procedure, you're supposed to update the firmware on the
enclosure.

Part of the software function, has something to do with encryption,
and that software would give you a place to type the password,
to get into the drive. If the drive is not encrypted, then I
presume that software doesn't matter.

Paul
Old December 3rd 11, 03:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 12/3/2011 1:58 AM, Paul wrote:
Peter Jason wrote:
[...]

Just an extra $0.02. USB Mobile Broadband Devices (Modems) may also
have a virtual disc for installation functions.

Old December 3rd 11, 11:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Jason

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 02:58:48 -0500, Paul wrote:

Peter Jason wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I'll check all this out. I have many thumb drives, some come
with extraneous software.
Peter
Old December 13th 11, 01:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Jason

Peter Jason wrote:
[...]

Can I solve this problem by formatting every new thumb drive I get,
then wiping it as well, just to get rid of the imbedded software? I
just want storage. Someone I know dose this with his.
Old December 13th 11, 05:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Peter Jason wrote:
[...]

Some device types support removal of embedded software,
and others do not. The external disk drive with the virtual
CD function, the claim is, is cannot be entirely removed.
Only hidden by modifying the OS.

There were some drives with U3 software, and there was a
remover for that.

So it varies by device. You need to investigate the details
of the device first, to determine how "screwed" you are.

Paul
Old December 13th 11, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In message someone claiming
to be Peter Jason typed:

Can I solve this problem by formatting every new thumb drive I get,
then wiping it as well, just to get rid of the imbedded software? I
just want storage. Someone I know dose this with his.

As a rule, no. The virtual-CD or virtual-mass-storage-device
implementation (where you get two drive letters) requires additional
circuitry and isn't just a file stored on the drive, so it can't be
trivially wiped.

It may, however, be possible to disable it using a tool on that virtual
drive or from the manufacturer.

--
It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.
Old January 8th 12, 11:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Jason

Peter Jason wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I fixed it by just formatting (quick format) the thumb drive.
This wipes off all the imbedded software.

Peter.