Adding DDR3 Memory, Compatible With Existing

Old July 11th 14, 02:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
cropduster

Default Adding DDR3 Memory, Compatible With Existing

Hi folks. Nice to see a usenet group still fairly alive with a good
signal to noise ratio.

I'd like to add RAM to my system, and want it to work with the existing
RAM.

System is:
Gigabyte P55-USB3, LGA1156
Intel Core I5-650 Clarkdale CPU
2x Corsair XMS3 2GB 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
CMX4GX3M2A1600C9, total 4GB
All standard default timings (no overclock)

I also have a system with
MSI P55-GD65, LGA1156
Intel Core I3 540 3.06G 4M R
2x GSKILL F3-10600CL9D-4GBNS, total 4GB.
All standard default timings (no overclock)

The Corsairs and Gskills work fine by themselves on either mobo/CPU.
However... as an experiment I once tried combining them all to get 8GB,
and neither system would POST with all four modules in. Since I was only
running 32 bit WinXP, I didn't pursue it any further. I did alternate the
modules in the slots the way the manual instructed.

Now I'd like to add RAM to the Gigabyte board, since I'm running 64 bit
Linux and would like to use VMs. I'd like to add two 4GB modules to get a
total of 12GB if possible. What specs are important to match to ensure
that the new RAM plays nicely with the Corsairs?

Thanks.
Old July 11th 14, 03:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

cropduster wrote:
[...]

G.SKILL F3-10600CL9D-4GBNS
4GB (2 x 2GB)
DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
Timing 9-9-9-24
Voltage 1.5V
ECC No

CORSAIR CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
4GB (2 x 2GB)
DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Timing 9-9-9-24
Voltage 1.65V

Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) Support

*******

I would:

1) Disable XMP. XMP can have more than one profile, but
typically the only profile provided is for two sticks,
and not for four sticks. If placing all the RAM in the
one computer, I would disable XMP before installing the
RAM.

2) One module needs only nominal (1.5V) to meet timing.
The other module needs a boost. You could try raising VDimm
to 1.65V so all modules are happy. The BIOS should have
selected DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 anyway, which would be less
demanding of the second module, so maybe it wouldn't need
the 1.65V to work.

*******

Both products appear to still be in stock, so you
could always buy more.

*******

To allay your superstitions, I would prefer you to get
the existing four sticks working as a group. In either
motherboard. When your new sticks arrive, you're still
going to be working with four sticks (12GB) config,
so the more you learn about "taming" the RAM, the
better off you'll be when the new RAM arrives.

1) Always test with memtest86+ (memtest.org) first.
Do *NOT* boot the Windows OS, with the memory detuned.
The registry can get corrupted.

2) After you've adjusted the RAM so memtest86+ passes with
no errors, you're still not done. The second step, is
booting a Linux LiveCD, and going to mersenne.org/freesoft
and getting a copy of Linux Prime95 (torture test). That's
better at finding errors than memtest86+ is. The memtest86+ test
helps find stuck-at errors, while Prime95 helps more with
dynamic faults (never strikes the same place twice).

Only after some testing of this type, would I boot Windows
to see if it works.

Note that, despite my best intentions, I've had one poster
follow the instructions, only to have Windows fall over :-(
Because of this fact, I would have to recommend a "step 0".

0) Make sure you have a backup of your working Windows OS,
before making changes to RAM.

If you make the backup first, you have something to go back
to, if Windows dies a horrible death on your mixed RAM config.

Considering the size of RAM now, personally I'd just buy
2x8GB and put the other ones out to pasture. They might
get slightly better cooling that way. On my current
4x2GB DDR2 config, I have a fan blowing down onto the RAM sticks,
because I noticed they were running hot (and they're not
even voltage boosted!). The 2x2GB that came before those
sticks, ran much cooler for some reason. Sometimes the spacing
doesn't lead to good cooling. If you use just a two stick config,
usually better cooling is a side effect.

Paul
Old July 11th 14, 04:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 10/07/2014 9:10 PM, cropduster wrote:
[...]

It's possible that because two types of RAM are of vastly different
speeds that they wouldn't work together. Although I would've assumed
that they would've at least dropped to the slower common speed.

Yousuf Khan
Old July 11th 14, 11:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 01:10:20 GMT, cropduster
wrote:

However... as an experiment I once tried combining them all to get 8GB,
and neither system would POST with all four modules in. Since I was only
running 32 bit WinXP, I didn't pursue it any further. I did alternate the
modules in the slots the way the manual instructed.

Now I'd like to add RAM to the Gigabyte board, since I'm running 64 bit
Linux and would like to use VMs. I'd like to add two 4GB modules to get a
total of 12GB if possible. What specs are important to match to ensure
that the new RAM plays nicely with the Corsairs?

I haven't experienced Linux for memory testing purposes, primarily on
Windows when having run memory intensive iterations variously over
time without anything I'd particularly care to call impressive.
Everything I've owned has failed in that regard, over time, under a
rigor of such as Prime95, as intended, at some point.

Practical application however may be entirely another matter, although
I will say I do want memory matched well enough for default BIOS
timings. I neither overclock.

Generally I've taken the standpoint of better, faster memory for
seating alongside used memory that's of course no longer manufactured
and less likely if at all to be now sourced for an exact match (who's
to say when or what affects memory physically, besides, may exhibit
from a toll exacted upon usage).

I'd also like a brand well-received across a user poll of buyer
opinions, as also as much as possible, ultimately, for a particular
module model in question. Corsair qualifies both, although I might
settle for a somewhat lesser-known brand if the module model is well
rated. A present economic viability for population density may defray
all other overriding concerns, say, if I can buy a single 16 or 32G
stick with least technical considerations or adverse potentials
generally present when "mix 'n' matching" between brands.

(Given all else equal, I'll take two - but not four - modules of a
greater denomination over the singular instance.)

Like I said, though I've "gotten by" practically - a computer for me
never has ever been "that" stable, nor, for that matter, are two
computers ever exactly the same. There are simply too many factors,
within wider "proposed standards," to account for aspects of entropy
as an ultimatum in rendering the computer irrelevant.
Old July 26th 14, 01:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
cropduster

Flasherly wrote in
:

wrote:

However... as an experiment I once tried combining them all to get
8GB, and neither system would POST with all four modules in. Since I
was only running 32 bit WinXP, I didn't pursue it any further. I did
alternate the modules in the slots the way the manual instructed.

Now I'd like to add RAM to the Gigabyte board, since I'm running 64
bit Linux and would like to use VMs. I'd like to add two 4GB modules
to get a total of 12GB if possible. What specs are important to match
to ensure that the new RAM plays nicely with the Corsairs?

Update: The Egg had a sale and I bought:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...mit=ENE&DEPA=0
&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=cml8gx3m2a1600c9&N =-1&isNodeId=1

That's 2x Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9. They show up in Corsair's memory
finder for both of the boards.

They don't work in either.

On the MSI, I can't even get into the BIOS. The BIOS memory check fails
just past 1000 MB (locks up).

On the Gigabyte, slightly better, I can get into the BIOS, and run a 32
bit OS (Linux Rescue under Hiren 15.2) but 64 bit OS (Windows 7 Ultimate,
Robolinux, Memtest+86) all fail to load. Memtest locks up just past
6000MB.

I'm running dead stock settings (Load Fail-Safe Defaults in the BIOS).
Have a ticket open at Corsair, we shall see what they say.

Would it maybe help to pull the CMOS battery and go back to factory
settings?
Old July 26th 14, 01:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 00:11:41 GMT, cropduster
wrote:

[...]

Open ticket - yes, be interesting what they've, Corsair has to say,
although you're breaking my heart, because it's sad in first place --
those are two premium brand makes and the module's reviews match that.
If you've default BIOS settings I doubt pulling the battery (should be
a 3-pin jumper beside it to do the same thing) will amount to much.

Also try the modules for singularity -- is there anything readily
apparent, a big sore thumb about a 1) difference when running one
module at a 4G build, 2) between either module, then, for running
testing both at 4G (possibly - weird as it sounds, noting or not to
entirely discount what happens when slot seating assignments are
shuffled around).

....If one will run, then might not, say, a single 8G Corsair also run
better?

Pricey little suckers at close to $100. (Kinda opened by eyeballs.)
Hope that was good sale you got. Damn shame, really, you've a problem
at this level and quality. Very freakish behavior.
Old July 26th 14, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 08:41:01 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

Very freakish behavior.

Btw - Can't screw around at this point. You need working results now,
and can't have, just saying, a 30-day window closing in on you, to
where you're stuck (if NewEgg won't accept a return/refund) with a
potential product that won't work and is absolutely useless to you.

Never been in a grinder you're in, but how about a nearby BestBuy,
Staples, Office Depot for memory options (at least they're more likely
to be marked up at a premium price for potential returns -
NewEgg/Amazon/TigerDirect would also have their brands to verify that
aspect).
Old July 28th 14, 11:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark[_23_]

wrote:

Very freakish behavior.

Btw - Can't screw around at this point. You need working results now,
and can't have, just saying, a 30-day window closing in on you, to
where you're stuck (if NewEgg won't accept a return/refund) with a
potential product that won't work and is absolutely useless to you.

Never been in a grinder you're in, but how about a nearby BestBuy,
Staples, Office Depot for memory options (at least they're more likely
to be marked up at a premium price for potential returns -
NewEgg/Amazon/TigerDirect would also have their brands to verify that
aspect).

What about Crucial? IME they take returns no questions asked.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old July 28th 14, 02:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:51:19 +0100, Mark
wrote:

What about Crucial? IME they take returns no questions asked.

Sure - all good name brands, known good reputation, good product, good
service, et al. What I meant is your basic rights to return by law a
product you don't like or want - law stands, but exercise can range
from anywhere to a few to 90 days. The supplier/manufacturer has to
at least provide that operability factor, de facto, unless expressly
stipulated -as is-.

Otherwise - yep, "no questions asked" is excellent for finding what
suits your needs and want. (No restocking fees and various other
penalties/caveats.)
Old July 28th 14, 03:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark[_23_]

wrote:

What about Crucial? IME they take returns no questions asked.

Sure - all good name brands, known good reputation, good product, good
service, et al. What I meant is your basic rights to return by law a
product you don't like or want - law stands, but exercise can range
from anywhere to a few to 90 days. The supplier/manufacturer has to
at least provide that operability factor, de facto, unless expressly
stipulated -as is-.

Here you can return something (by law) if you don't want it (distance
selling only) for around 10 days. Some stores have a 'better' policy
than this. If the product is faulty or unsuitable then you generally
have longer.

Otherwise - yep, "no questions asked" is excellent for finding what
suits your needs and want. (No restocking fees and various other
penalties/caveats.)

Thankfully "restocking fees" are not permissable here.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?