Why this configuration not working?

Old November 12th 05, 08:08 AM

Default Why this configuration not working?

Do NOT buy anything from Acronis.
Do NOT install any of their trial software!

Old November 12th 05, 09:51 AM
Rod Speed

Get ****ed.

Old November 13th 05, 04:44 PM
Terry Pinnell

"Rod Speed" wrote:

If you dont want to go that route because of the effort involved,

you should be able to get the same result by copying the install
that is on the 60G drive to each of the 200G drives, BUT ITS
ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL TO MAKE THE COPY WITH SOMETHING
LIKE TRUE IMAGE FROM THE BOOTED CD SO YOU CAN STOP
ONCE THE COPY HAS BEEN MADE AND PHYSICALLY DISCONNECT
THE 60G DRIVE BEFORE BOOTING THE COPY OF XP FOR THE
FIRST TIME.

Presumably my Drive Image 2002 (or 5.0 which sits in its
box uninstalled) is equivalent to True Image in this context?

In capability, yes. Not as convenient to use tho because you
can just boot the TI CD and do it from there and using the
bootable CD makes it very easy to pause once the copy
has been done and physically unplug the 60G drive before
the first boot of XP after the copy has been made.

I'm back on the case and am seriously considering my next step.

I spent most of today getting away from the messy situation where I
was booting into disk 1 partition 1, H. That resulted in confusion
about where applications were recording their settings, as discussed
in separate thread 'Which partition for recording changes?' I am now
booting into disk 0 partition 1, C. I had to make a lot of changes to
drive labels, shortcuts etc, but I feel more comfortable now.

So the current status is as shown in this revised screenshot:
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/I...entStatus2.gif

As you probably saw, right now I *don't* have the OS copied to the
second 200GB disk, although the partition is ready for it. That is
therefore probably my next step.

Although it would be good to be using the same tool as you, TI, I'm
hesitant. Not just because of its 50 USD price, when I've already
bought DI and PM, but because it's yet one more learning exercise. So
unless I get urgent warnings to the contrary, I think I'm now going to
use DI 2002 Copy Drive to copy C to F. I *think* I should be able to
find some way to get it to stop before it automatically reboots into
the risk mode you and others have warned me about. But, if I'm wrong
on that point, then presumably I need to be around in the end stages
of its 4-5 hour run, and maybe just power off? Have to say though that
it seems crazy to me that if the risk really is that serious, there
isn't some no-brainer way to avoid it, and stop the PC long enough to
disconnect one of the disks! Perhaps some of the DI users here can
comment please?

BTW, I already do have a week old image file of C made with DI, called
J:\IMAGES\CtoJ-7Nov05.pqi. I suppose I could instead restore that to
F? The upside might be some time saved, but the downside is that it
wouldn't include all the tweaks and changes I've made in that week. Do
most experienced users do their copying/restoring via images or via
clones?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Sun 13 November 2005, 16:41 UK time
Old November 13th 05, 07:38 PM
Rod Speed

Terry Pinnell wrote
[...]

Dangerous business...

I spent most of today getting away from the messy situation where
I was booting into disk 1 partition 1, H. That resulted in confusion
about where applications were recording their settings, as discussed
in separate thread 'Which partition for recording changes?' I am now
booting into disk 0 partition 1, C. I had to make a lot of changes to
drive labels, shortcuts etc, but I feel more comfortable now.

So the current status is as shown in this revised screenshot:
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/I...entStatus2.gif

As you probably saw, right now I *don't* have the OS
copied to the second 200GB disk, although the partition
is ready for it. That is therefore probably my next step.

You should really consider if clones are a good way to go.

The only real advantage with a clone is that you can come
up faster if something screws the original, but most home
systems dont actually need to be able to do that. There are
some, like say online stock market trading etc, but even then,
you really need to go further and have a fully duplicated system
because you've got a problem if the motherboard dies etc.

Although it would be good to be using the same tool as you, TI,
I'm hesitant. Not just because of its 50 USD price, when I've already
bought DI and PM, but because it's yet one more learning exercise.

Yeah, there certainly can be time lost due to that.

I do it anyway, basically because you can
end up with a much more usable system.

Not always tho, I basically wasted my time with Ghost.

So unless I get urgent warnings to the contrary, I think I'm now going
to use DI 2002 Copy Drive to copy C to F. I *think* I should be able
to find some way to get it to stop before it automatically reboots into
the risk mode you and others have warned me about.

Yes, one way of doing that is to use DI from the floppys or CD.

But, if I'm wrong on that point, then presumably I need
to be around in the end stages of its 4-5 hour run,

Not if you run DI from the floppys or CD.

and maybe just power off?

Yep.

Have to say though that it seems crazy to me that if the risk
really is that serious, there isn't some no-brainer way to avoid
it, and stop the PC long enough to disconnect one of the disks!

Yep, just run it from floppys or CD.

Perhaps some of the DI users here can comment please?

It is what I used before I changed to TI. I still use it a bit because
I have a whole series of canned installs for the test machine done
with DI, havent bothered to redo all the images with TI yet.

BTW, I already do have a week old image file of C made with DI, called
J:\IMAGES\CtoJ-7Nov05.pqi. I suppose I could instead restore that to F?
The upside might be some time saved, but the downside is that it
wouldn't include all the tweaks and changes I've made in that week.

Yep.

Do most experienced users do their copying/restoring via images or via clones?

Most use images, few use clones. Images have a number of advantages,
particularly you can normally have more than one image on the same space,
you can have incremental images now with the latest imagers, post DI 2002,
and you dont have to be careful about the drives plugged in when you do the
first boot after a restore either.

The only real advantage with a clone is that you can have
a usable system quicker if something screws the original.