Hitachi DKR1B-J47SC modeselect to 512bytes/sector

Old September 14th 05, 11:27 PM
Corey

Default Hitachi DKR1B-J47SC modeselect to 512bytes/sector

I have quite a few DKR1B-J47SC (and a few DKR1C-J72SC) Hitachi
harddisks pulled from a decommissioned Lightning 7700E that we would
like to reuse. They are formatted at 520 bytes/sector. When I attempt
to issue a modeselect to change them to 512, they 'accept' the command,
but don't write the new value, even though it is marked as changeable.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get these drives to take this
change? Modeselects on other pages appear to function OK.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Old September 15th 05, 06:58 AM
Rob Turk

"Corey" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have quite a few DKR1B-J47SC (and a few DKR1C-J72SC) Hitachi
harddisks pulled from a decommissioned Lightning 7700E that we would
like to reuse. They are formatted at 520 bytes/sector. When I attempt
to issue a modeselect to change them to 512, they 'accept' the command,
but don't write the new value, even though it is marked as changeable.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get these drives to take this
change? Modeselects on other pages appear to function OK.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Got a bunch of these too. The disks are protected against reformatting to
512byte sectors by their firmware. Rumor is that there's a HDS tool that can
reflash the drives to take generic firmware, but I've been unable to get my
hands on it...

Rob

Old September 15th 05, 07:26 PM
Chevalier des bois

Rob Turk a écrit :
"Corey" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have quite a few DKR1B-J47SC (and a few DKR1C-J72SC) Hitachi
harddisks pulled from a decommissioned Lightning 7700E that we would
like to reuse. They are formatted at 520 bytes/sector. When I attempt
to issue a modeselect to change them to 512, they 'accept' the command,
but don't write the new value, even though it is marked as changeable.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get these drives to take this
change? Modeselects on other pages appear to function OK.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Got a bunch of these too. The disks are protected against reformatting to
512byte sectors by their firmware. Rumor is that there's a HDS tool that can
reflash the drives to take generic firmware, but I've been unable to get my
hands on it...

Rob

They are not protected, but hds' firmwares are tricky and ibm tools are
not very sophisticated compared to seagate.

I did make some drives, coming from a hds 9960 (dkr2d-j72fc), working,
using CU tools from IBM and they accepted to be formated at 512
bytes/sector after validating the write cache (without write cache
enabled they couldn't format ... do not ask me why !).
They work at the moment both with win2K an linux. Whenever you find out
a generic firmware I would be interested in it (I think they can be
flashed with the standard ibm (HGST) tools).
Old September 15th 05, 10:36 PM
Corey

I tried enabling WCE, the drive took the parameter and saved it, but
still refuses to format at 512 bytes/sector. I DO have a generic
firmware for 'DK31CJ-72' which appears to be the underlying drive for
the 72GB units I have. The version of CU tools I have from IBM (which
may be quite old!?) was not able to flash the drive.

Chevalier des bois wrote:
Rob Turk a =E9crit :
ups.com...