All in one printer with serious drivers

Old April 30th 12, 07:41 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mario Giammarco

Default All in one printer with serious drivers

Hello,
I have just had a bad experience with an ink jet all in one hp of a customer of mine (I get paid by hour for repairs):

- I go there to install the driver in a new windows 7 pc;
- driver is 300 MB (the version with scan support they need) so 15 minutes waiting for download (the customer is looking me doing nothing and get paid)
- the HP printer was wireless but the driver incredibly wants an usb cable for first installation!!!! It was out of question moving the printer
- next day I go there with 10 meters usb cable: the driver now says: I am sorry but it is already installed... are we joking???

So I need to suggest a new all in one, preferably laser this time, to my customer.

But all reviews in web are not useful to me: they barely scratch the surface of the printers reviewed.

An example: now the HP8600 receives a lot of positive rievews (faster than laser, low ink costs) but can I trust it anymore?

Can you suggest me a color allinone of epson/canon/(hp)/other brands? without hidden/drivers problems? Preferably with postscript/pcl6 support so I can use also with generic drivers or with Macintosh

Thank you very much in advance,

Mario
Old April 30th 12, 12:09 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jan Alter

I've used newegg.com user reviews for years to get an inkling (pardon the
expression) of what others think of the items they've bought. Usually
finding a product that is popular with 4 or 5 stars has given me
satisfaction. Of course reading the reviews, especially the 1 and 2 star
reviews, gives me more insight to the negatives about the product.

--
Jan Alter

Old April 30th 12, 02:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Mario Giammarco"

Hello,
[...]

I steer away from HP all-in-one printers because their code is too OS
intrusive and bloated. All too often I have come across HP printer software
issues.

My suggestion:

The Brother MFC-9460CDN (colour laser, PCL6 emulation) and directly
supports: Mac OS® X 10.4.11, 10.5.x , Mac OS® X 10.6.x and Higher.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old May 2nd 12, 02:27 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_7_]

HP driver problems have made me crazy repeatedly, and I'm going
through hell right now with both a printer and a scanner. I'm
finding an incredible lack of documentation on their web site,
misleading over-generalized advice, and really lousy descriptions
of drivers. I'm having to just hurl myself against their site and
software over and over again, hoping for some miracle. Yeah: I've
always been able to get their stuff to work, but the price in
time and aggravation has been too much.

By contrast, here's a different story. My son was given an old
Canon printer that had been sitting in storage for over a half
year. Downloading the driver from Canon's site was easy and fast.
Installing the driver was easy and fast. The printer fired right
up and worked perfectly, despite being stored.

The ink for my HP printers costs an unconscionable fortune, and
probably paid for Carly Fiorina's multi-million dollar run for
Barbara Boxer's California senate seat.

Having worked with consumer electronics, I've found product
reviews to often be ridiculous. I don't give a damn how a product
works when it's new. What I want to know is what the thing is
like to live with two years later, and what the true cost of
ownership really is.

I have given my son two printers that were absurd to live with.
They suffered from paper feed problems because they fed paper way
too fast in order to impress people with a print speed
specification. If these machines had run a little slower, they
might have been successful. And feeding paper from the top made
them faster, but meant that they accumulated tons of dirt inside.
I'm sick of printers that run too fast and thus, rip themselves
apart. Hello?

Watch for stupid engineering!

Richard
Old May 4th 12, 07:05 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Mario Giammarco"

Feedback based upon replies is strongly urged such that those who respond
know if they gave a good response or a bad one. This feedback loop improves
replies as well as determines if this thread ends or needs further
information.

NOTE: People are less likely to reply in the future if a poster just posts
and ignores the thread they created.

Old May 11th 12, 04:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mario Giammarco

Il giorno luned́ 30 aprile 2012 13:09:49 UTC+2, Jan Alter ha scritto:
I've used newegg.com user reviews for years to get an inkling (pardon the
expression)

Good idea, infact I followed your suggestion and I discovered several hints..
Old May 11th 12, 04:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mario Giammarco

Il giorno luned́ 30 aprile 2012 15:47:04 UTC+2, David H. Lipman ha scritto:

The Brother MFC-9460CDN (colour laser, PCL6 emulation) and directly
supports: Mac OS® X 10.4.11, 10.5.x , Mac OS® X 10.6.x and Higher.

Thanks, infact probably I will buy a Brother mfc 9970 cdw.
Old May 11th 12, 04:33 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mario Giammarco

Il giorno venerd́ 4 maggio 2012 20:05:27 UTC+2, David H. Lipman ha scritto:

Feedback based upon replies is strongly urged

I give feedback... unfortunately I am very slow...
Old May 15th 12, 12:01 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Mario Giammarco"

scritto:

Feedback based upon replies is strongly urged

I give feedback... unfortunately I am very slow...

Almost three weeks is way too slow for a beneficial conversation.

printer drivers Juve General 1 October 20th 08 06:44 PM
Any *good* printer drivers for the HP Photosmart 7550 photo printer in the MAC format? Curious Printers 1 April 3rd 05 08:29 AM
Any *good* printer drivers for HP Photosmart 7550 Photo printer? Curious Printers 2 January 16th 05 05:46 PM
Any *good* printer drivers for HP Photosmart 7550 Photo printer? Curious Printers 0 January 16th 05 12:09 PM
Printer drivers Morgan Ohlson Printers 0 December 5th 03 01:02 PM