Window is stealing my HD size

Old June 12th 06, 06:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Window is stealing my HD size

hi to everyone and sorry for the engrish , but i really need help with
my hd so here is the problem
i buy a new hd 200gb maxtor , and i use partition magic to create two
partitions and of 10 gb for the os
and the rest for random data but the problem is with the *******
windows i go to proterties and i see a wrong free space in the second
partition
windows say that i got 54 gb used
http://ciudad.latinol.com//neko008/troublesooting.GIF
but that is not true!! look
http://ciudad.latinol.com//neko008/troubleshooting3.GIF that all my
data in that partition

and other thing i got 200gb so if i use 10 for one partition i suppose
to have 190 in the second right? so look
http://ciudad.latinol.com//neko008/troubleshooting2.GIF

and when i use partition magic to look my space he says that i got 55
used and 129 free , and 184 in that partition
http://ciudad.latinol.com//neko008/troubleshooting4.GIF

so i dont know what trust i already scan my pc with like 9 diferent
antivirus looking for virus ,trojan or something like that but
nothing
i used windows scan disk and nothing

i dont know what to do...

Old June 12th 06, 07:42 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Fatso wrote:

hi to everyone and sorry for the engrish , but i
really need help with my hd so here is the problem

i buy a new hd 200gb maxtor , and i use partition magic
to create two partitions and of 10 gb for the os and the
rest for random data but the problem is with the *******
windows i go to proterties and i see a wrong free space
in the second partition windows say that i got 54 gb used
http://ciudad.latinol.com//neko008/troublesooting.GIF
but that is not true!! look
http://ciudad.latinol.com//neko008/troubleshooting3.GIF
that all my data in that partition and other thing i
got 200gb so if i use 10 for one partition i
suppose to have 190 in the second right?

Nope, the 200G is using decimal GBs, so is 200,000,000,000 bytes.
The 180G is using binary GBs and is 193,273,528,320 bytes

so look
http://ciudad.latinol.com//neko008/troubleshooting2.GIF

Thats fine.

and when i use partition magic to look my space he says
that i got 55 used and 129 free , and 184 in that partition
http://ciudad.latinol.com//neko008/troubleshooting4.GIF

so i dont know what trust

Just accept that the numbers are fine.

Old June 12th 06, 04:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:42:03 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Nope, the 200G is using decimal GBs, so is 200,000,000,000 bytes.
The 180G is using binary GBs and is 193,273,528,320 bytes

Anyone remember the lawsuit against monitor that the advertised CRT
size is not the actual viewable size? I wonder if someone would try
to bring the lawsuit against hard drive stating advertised size and
actual size don't match. Even though nowday hard drive boxes do state
the disclaimer that advertised size is 1GB = 1,000,000 bytes
Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.
Old June 12th 06, 04:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

wrote:

Nope, the 200G is using decimal GBs, so is 200,000,000,000 bytes.
The 180G is using binary GBs and is 193,273,528,320 bytes

Anyone remember the lawsuit against monitor that the advertised CRT
size is not the actual viewable size?

Any such lawsuit is doomed to fail, as the method of measurement for CRTs
(in the US anyway) is prescribed by statute or regulation (I forget which
now) and the manufacturers have no choice in the matter.

I wonder if someone would try
to bring the lawsuit against hard drive stating advertised size and
actual size don't match. Even though nowday hard drive boxes do state
the disclaimer that advertised size is 1GB = 1,000,000 bytes

No doubt someone has tried it.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Old June 12th 06, 05:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

wrote:

Nope, the 200G is using decimal GBs, so is 200,000,000,000 bytes.
The 180G is using binary GBs and is 193,273,528,320 bytes

Anyone remember the lawsuit against monitor that the advertised CRT
size is not the actual viewable size? I wonder if someone would try
to bring the lawsuit against hard drive stating advertised size and
actual size don't match. Even though nowday hard drive boxes do state
the disclaimer that advertised size is 1GB = 1,000,000 bytes

Well, good luck, since the drive manufacturers are only doing
what the law requires. The legal units and prefixes for measurements
are the SI prefixes. Check the law, if you do not believe me.

RAM sizes, e.g., are not measurements, they are size-clases.
That is the reason RAM manufacturers get away with their
mis-labeling.

Arno
Old June 12th 06, 05:33 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

wrote:

Nope, the 200G is using decimal GBs, so is 200,000,000,000 bytes.
The 180G is using binary GBs and is 193,273,528,320 bytes

Anyone remember the lawsuit against monitor that the advertised CRT
size is not the actual viewable size?

Any such lawsuit is doomed to fail, as the method of measurement for CRTs
(in the US anyway) is prescribed by statute or regulation (I forget which
now) and the manufacturers have no choice in the matter.

I wonder if someone would try
to bring the lawsuit against hard drive stating advertised size and
actual size don't match. Even though nowday hard drive boxes do state
the disclaimer that advertised size is 1GB = 1,000,000 bytes

No doubt someone has tried it.

As the law requires SI units and prefixes, this is entirely futile.

Arno
Old June 12th 06, 07:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Impmon wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Nope, the 200G is using decimal GBs, so is 200,000,000,000 bytes.
The 180G is using binary GBs and is 193,273,528,320 bytes

Anyone remember the lawsuit against monitor that the
advertised CRT size is not the actual viewable size?
I wonder if someone would try to bring the lawsuit against
hard drive stating advertised size and actual size don't match.

Trouble is that they match fine with hard drives.

The hard drive data sheets make it clear that decimal GBs
are being used, and that is in fact the ISO standard too,
so the manufacturers are completely bullet proof on that.

Even though nowday hard drive boxes do state the
disclaimer that advertised size is 1GB = 1,000,000 bytes

1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes actually.

Thats all they have to do, and its the ISO standard anyway.

Old June 12th 06, 10:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

J. Clarke wrote:
As the law requires SI units and prefixes, this is entirely futile.

What law where?

http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/...ric-conv.html:
"The Metric Conversion Act of 1975 (later amended by the Omnibus Trade
and Competitiveness Act of 1988, the Savings in Construction Act of
1996, and the Department of Energy High-End Computing Revitalization
Act of 2004) designated the metric system as the preferred system of
weights and measures for US trade and commerce, and directed federal
agencies to convert to the metric system, to the extent feasible,
including the use of metric in construction of federal facilities."

"Sec. 205b. Declaration of policy

It is therefore the declared policy of the United States--

[...]
(2) to require that each Federal agency, by a date certain and to the
extent economically feasible by the end of the fiscal year 1992, use
the metric system of measurement in its procurements, grants, and other
business-related activities, except to the extent that such use is
impractical or is likely to cause significant inefficiencies or loss of
markets to United States firms, such as when foreign competitors are
producing competing products in non- metric units;
[...]"

Federal agencies are by law required to deal in SI units. Part of the
SI are the decimal prefixes (like k,M,G etc). See also the NIST
publications about the SI -- there are some quite good ones. Start
he http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/introduction.html.

Also interesting in this context may be this:
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html -- even though it seems
the involved industries at large would rather remain in the never
ending
confusion as to whether a k means 1000 or 1024 than to standardize on
anything else for 1024.

If you think this isn't a problem, you probably have never worked
between computer programmers (used to the 1024 meaning, like in a
"kilobyte") and communication engineers (used to the 1000 meaning, like
in "kbps" or "kilobits per second"). More of the same:
http://meta.ath0.com/articles/2005/0...lea-for-sanity

Some more about metrication in the USA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrica..._United_States
http://hpcrd.lbl.gov/staff/olken/metrication.htm