who has deskstar gxp 75 dtla-307060 electronics?

Old May 27th 06, 05:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default who has deskstar gxp 75 dtla-307060 electronics?

An IBM deskstar DTLA-307060 has just crashed. I pulled it out of the pc
and tested it on another. You can feel the disk spin but the drive is
not accessible nor is it recognized in the bios. The spinning of the
platters seem to indicate that the a component of the electronics board
has failed. Is the fact that it is not accessible or recognized while
the disks spin a confirmation of that?

Anyway, before resorting to a professional recovery service, I would
like to know if someone has a similar drive laying around and of which
the disk has crashed. Would he or she be willing to send me the
electronics thereof? It looks like it is easy to replace the board.

Old May 27th 06, 02:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Previously Michael Cecil wrote:
On 26 May 2006 21:03:28 -0700, "jrt" wrote:

An IBM deskstar DTLA-307060 has just crashed. I pulled it out of the pc
and tested it on another. You can feel the disk spin but the drive is
not accessible nor is it recognized in the bios. The spinning of the
platters seem to indicate that the a component of the electronics board
has failed. Is the fact that it is not accessible or recognized while
the disks spin a confirmation of that?

Anyway, before resorting to a professional recovery service, I would
like to know if someone has a similar drive laying around and of which
the disk has crashed. Would he or she be willing to send me the
electronics thereof? It looks like it is easy to replace the board.

You're aware of the history of that drive model and had no backup?

The 75GXP just got awarded the #18 "worst tech product of all time"
by PC magazine:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...125772,00.asp#

Making unreliable products is bad enough. Then lying to the customer
should send those responsible to jail.

Arno

Old May 30th 06, 03:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

jrt wrote:

An IBM deskstar DTLA-307060 has just crashed. I pulled it out of the pc
and tested it on another. You can feel the disk spin but the drive is
not accessible nor is it recognized in the bios. The spinning of the
platters seem to indicate that the a component of the electronics board
has failed. Is the fact that it is not accessible or recognized while
the disks spin a confirmation of that?

For the vast majority the 75GXP is fast and reliable.

Anyway, before resorting to a professional recovery service, I would
like to know if someone has a similar drive laying around and of which
the disk has crashed. Would he or she be willing to send me the
electronics thereof? It looks like it is easy to replace the board.

Your anti-IBM slime campaign has now been widely discredited.

Old May 31st 06, 07:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Rod Speed wrote:

This is just this ****wit playing juvenile games.

Thats all it ever does.

Said by a card carrying member of the anti-IBM slime campaign.

Old May 31st 06, 08:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Previously chrisv wrote:
jrt wrote:

An IBM deskstar DTLA-307060 has just crashed. I pulled it out of the pc
and tested it on another. You can feel the disk spin but the drive is
not accessible nor is it recognized in the bios. The spinning of the
platters seem to indicate that the a component of the electronics board
has failed. Is the fact that it is not accessible or recognized while
the disks spin a confirmation of that?

For the vast majority the 75GXP is fast and reliable.

Well, if 10% of there drives were trash, then IBM lied. It also
seems that all sold here were trash. Your statement is definitely
untrue if geography is taken into account.

Arno
Old June 9th 06, 02:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously chrisv wrote:
jrt wrote:

An IBM deskstar DTLA-307060 has just crashed. I pulled it out of the pc
and tested it on another. You can feel the disk spin but the drive is
not accessible nor is it recognized in the bios. The spinning of the
platters seem to indicate that the a component of the electronics board
has failed. Is the fact that it is not accessible or recognized while
the disks spin a confirmation of that?

For the vast majority the 75GXP is fast and reliable.

Well, if 10% of there drives were trash, then IBM lied. It also
seems that all sold here were trash. Your statement is definitely
untrue if geography is taken into account.

Arno

I don't want to get into IBM bashing. I had taken note of all the
discussions relating to the quality of the deskstar series, but I have
had that drive some 6 or 7 years and it had functioned to my
satisfaction. It's my own fault that I did not take the signals of an
impending failure (smart, but not me) serious. So I have no one else to
blame than myself. But that does not get me anywhere.

Does anyone have an old, and maybe dead, DTLA 307060, or higher
capacity, laying around? I am assuming that the mb will read, if
possible, the hard disk of the 307060..

Old June 9th 06, 03:02 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"jrt" wrote in message ups.com
Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously chrisv wrote:
jrt wrote:

An IBM deskstar DTLA-307060 has just crashed. I pulled it out of the pc
and tested it on another. You can feel the disk spin but the drive is
not accessible nor is it recognized in the bios. The spinning of the
platters seem to indicate that the a component of the electronics board
has failed. Is the fact that it is not accessible or recognized while
the disks spin a confirmation of that?

For the vast majority the 75GXP is fast and reliable.

Well, if 10% of there drives were trash, then IBM lied. It also
seems that all sold here were trash. Your statement is definitely
untrue if geography is taken into account.

Arno

I don't want to get into IBM bashing.

Hey, it's babblemouth you're talking to.

I had taken note of all the
discussions relating to the quality of the deskstar series, but I have
had that drive some 6 or 7 years and it had functioned to my
satisfaction. It's my own fault that I did not take the signals of an
impending failure (smart, but not me) serious. So I have no one else to
blame than myself. But that does not get me anywhere.

Does anyone have an old, and maybe dead, DTLA 307060,

or higher capacity,

Or lower.
IBM have capacity recorded on platters, not in electronics/firmware.

Old June 9th 06, 04:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

jrt wrote:

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously chrisv wrote:
jrt wrote:

[...]

The chances of a board swap proving successful with this drive is about
zero.

Don't spend too much time or effort on it - honestly.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Old June 9th 06, 09:28 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Previously Odie wrote:
jrt wrote:

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously chrisv wrote:

[...]