How do I use this thing?

Old August 7th 05, 06:00 AM
George Hester

Default How do I use this thing?

http://www.dcponline.com/instock/SYNOPTICS-2803.htm

It is a hub. I have a router that has 4 ports but is maxed out. I want =
to add more machines to the Network and someone gave me this hub. How =
do I use it? Thanks

--=20
George Hester
_______________________________

Old August 7th 05, 07:05 AM
kony

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 05:00:27 GMT, "George Hester"
wrote:

http://www.dcponline.com/instock/SYNOPTICS-2803.htm

It is a hub. I have a router that has 4 ports but is maxed out. I want to add more machines to the Network and someone gave me this hub. How do I use it? Thanks

Plug it into one of your router ports. Next plug the cable
(system) that was plugged into that port, into the hub.
Check the link lights to confirm the connectors are good.

If you wanted to do it the safest way, power down the router
and hub first then power them on again after replugging the
cables. As it relates to your other thread, you would then
plug your other equipment into another hub port.

However, my prior suggestion about a switch was made under
the presumption of semi-modern equipment, because 100Mb
switches have been common for several years now. The hub
you linked is only capable of 10Mb which will be faster and
more reliable than a wireless 802.11b connection, and still
more reliable than a 802.11g connection, but not necessarily
faster if even as fast.

Not all people need 100Mb worth of throughput though, since
you already have the hub you might try it, and if you find
it's too slow for any particular use then seek an
inexpensive 100Mb-capable switch, which might cost anywhere
from $0 (after a rebate) to $40 (usually less).
Old August 7th 05, 05:59 PM
Grinder

wrote:

http://www.dcponline.com/instock/SYNOPTICS-2803.htm

It is a hub. I have a router that has 4 ports but is maxed out. I want to add more machines to the Network and someone gave me this hub. How do I use it? Thanks

Plug it into one of your router ports. Next plug the cable
(system) that was plugged into that port, into the hub.
Check the link lights to confirm the connectors are good.

It looks like you might be able to set port 1 to be an uplink port --
wouldn't he need to do that, and plug his line from the router in there?

Old August 7th 05, 07:34 PM
Bob

wrote:

http://www.dcponline.com/instock/SYNOPTICS-2803.htm

It is a hub. I have a router that has 4 ports but is maxed out. I want to add more machines to the Network and someone gave me this hub. How do I use it? Thanks

Plug it into one of your router ports. Next plug the cable
(system) that was plugged into that port, into the hub.
Check the link lights to confirm the connectors are good.

It looks like you might be able to set port 1 to be an uplink port --
wouldn't he need to do that, and plug his line from the router in there?

If it's a Linksys BEFSR41, then there is a port which is designated
for hub expansion. Unfortunately it makes port 4 of the switch
inactive.

The best place to get the answer is to consult the manufacturer's
instructions.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"The societal purpose of the media is to inculcate and defend the
economic, social, and political agenda of privileged groups that
dominate the domestic society and the state. The media serve this
purpose in many ways: through the selection of topics, distribution
of concerns, framing of issues, filtering of information, emphasis
and tone, and by keeping debate within the bounds of acceptable premises."
Old August 7th 05, 07:52 PM
kony

wrote:

http://www.dcponline.com/instock/SYNOPTICS-2803.htm

It is a hub. I have a router that has 4 ports but is maxed out. I want to add more machines to the Network and someone gave me this hub. How do I use it? Thanks

Plug it into one of your router ports. Next plug the cable
(system) that was plugged into that port, into the hub.
Check the link lights to confirm the connectors are good.

It looks like you might be able to set port 1 to be an uplink port --
wouldn't he need to do that, and plug his line from the router in there?

Yes, I'd overlooked that one without automatic uplink would
need this.
Old August 9th 05, 03:53 PM
George Hester

Couldn't find it. All the links for the documentation were dead.

--=20
George Hester
_______________________________
"Bob" wrote in message =
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 16:59:26 GMT, Grinder
wrote:
=20
kony wrote:
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 05:00:27 GMT, "George Hester"
wrote:
=20
=20

Old August 9th 05, 04:12 PM
Bob

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 14:53:43 GMT, "George Hester"
wrote:

Couldn't find it. All the links for the documentation were dead.

This is a perfect example of why people should not top post.

I have no idea what you are referring to. Your newsreader has garbaged
the original text to the point where it is difficult to read, and I do
not know where to look.

Are you referring to the Linksys I mentioned? I have no idea.

Please remove extraneous material and then post your reply next to the
text you are replying to so the reader can understand what you are
saying.

---

George Hester
_______________________________
"Bob" wrote in message =
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 16:59:26 GMT, Grinder
wrote:
=20
kony wrote:
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 05:00:27 GMT, "George Hester"
wrote:
=20
=20

Old August 9th 05, 09:49 PM
George Hester

wrote:

http://www.dcponline.com/instock/SYNOPTICS-2803.htm

It is a hub. I have a router that has 4 ports but is maxed out. I want

to add more machines to the Network and someone gave me this hub. How do I
use it? Thanks

Plug it into one of your router ports. Next plug the cable
(system) that was plugged into that port, into the hub.
Check the link lights to confirm the connectors are good.

It looks like you might be able to set port 1 to be an uplink port --
wouldn't he need to do that, and plug his line from the router in there?

If it's a Linksys BEFSR41, then there is a port which is designated
for hub expansion. Unfortunately it makes port 4 of the switch
inactive.

The best place to get the answer is to consult the manufacturer's
instructions.

--

Actually your newsreader garbled the Quoted Printable. But be that as it
may I think you can now see why I said, "Couldn't find it. All the links

Old August 9th 05, 10:42 PM
Bob

wrote:

[...]

If it were my newsreader, then why did this post come out clean?

Usually when something like that happens, it's the OP's newsreader
putting out weird codes.

"The best place to get the answer is to consult the manufacturer's instructions."

I had no problem finding it.

http://tinyurl.com/99cco/

There's a link to the Users Guide on the right sidebar.

Old August 13th 05, 12:53 AM
George Hester

wrote:

[...]

Boy that is nothing like what I have. I provided an image in my original
post. I have a 14-port hub called a "SYNOPTICS LATTISHUB 2803"
You provided a link to a "
EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch V4.0
"

Am I missing something here?

--
George Hester