Help with options for data back-up Raid SCSI?? Just some ideas

Old June 24th 05, 11:47 PM
Fishhead

I figure my apps and WinXP are safe on single SCSI drives. and if they
crash I can always reinstall from CD... (which isn't always a bad
thing)

How do I upgrade/replace my IDE data drives.
2 PC's with their own data.
I would like redundant data swapped between each PC.
My photos I work with on PC 1 are backed up on PC2
My video's I work with on PC 2 are backed up on PC1

SCSI SATA IDE RAID?? What do I need?

Old June 24th 05, 11:49 PM
Ron Reaugh

"Fishhead" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am doing video editiing and photo editing.
The SCSI drives are a big bonus!!!

NO!! There is NO bonus when using SCSI over [S]ATA when doing video
editiing and photo editing. The only place SCSI has an advantage is when
doing saturated small record random I/O like on a server.

Old June 24th 05, 11:49 PM
Ron Reaugh

"Fishhead" wrote in message
oups.com...
My primary concern for backup (redundancy) is harddrive failure.

The question is whether you concern is primarily for the last hour's/day's
work where RAID helps. OR whether your bigger concern is losing the entire
contents of the HD where backup is the solution. Until you are covered by a
good backup scheme any thought of RAID is a waste of time.

I keep my OS (winXP) and progam files and data on 3 separate drives.
I need a redundant real time back-up for my data drives

NO, you need backup. Then you can think about redundancy.

Old June 24th 05, 11:52 PM
Rod Speed

Ron Reaugh wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote

This would not be a major problem if I kept up with my DVD back-ups...
so I need something automatic and redundant.

It isnt hard to do completely automated backup to a SATA drive.

Speedo gets it wrong again.

We'll see...

Automated image backups to SATA drives are easy.

Wot I said, ****wit.

That will fix the problem with a virus or user stupidity.

If its a removable drive, and you are prepared to take the
drive offsite and have another thats used when one is offsite,
that will fix the problem with fire/theft/flood etc too.

Not ideal if you are prone to dropping things tho.

Use a shock mounted tray like a KingWin KF-83 and get a padded
carrying case. That reduces the "drop threat" to very acceptable levels.

Depends on how much you drop it.

Non-spinning current HDs are not all that shock sensitive.

Bull****. Try dropping them onto a concrete floor some time.

They are shipped all over the world daily in
two layers of bubble wrap with few problems.

Pity about dropping the drive before it gets into that packing.

Old June 24th 05, 11:52 PM
Fishhead

I have no back-up...
unless I start buring to DVD...

I could care less about an day/hour of work.
It is the total drive

Old June 24th 05, 11:54 PM
Fishhead

Could I make 1 PC into a sort of Data server... that would store and
back it all up. (my wife could still use it to surf the web)

And then my main PC to do all the work???

Old June 24th 05, 11:56 PM
Rod Speed

Fishhead wrote in message
oups.com...

My primary concern for backup (redundancy) is harddrive failure.

It does however make sense to have a solution
that handles the other problems as well.

I keep my OS (winXP) and progam files and data on 3 separate drives.
I need a redundant real time back-up for my data drives

Completely routine to automate backup to an extra drive.

The only real advantage of RAID1 is that in theory you can
come up faster after a drive failure. In practice its got its
own downsides, so theory and practice can have quite
a chasm between them and you are very vulnerable to
failure of whatever you use to do hardware RAID too.

Software RAID is better there, but standard XP doesnt do that.

On the other hand, automated backup isnt perfect either,
you can still lose a day's work if say its done overnight.

Old June 24th 05, 11:59 PM
Ron Reaugh

"Fishhead" wrote in message
oups.com...
I figure my apps and WinXP are safe on single SCSI drives. and if they
crash I can always reinstall from CD... (which isn't always a bad
thing)

Usually a very labor intensive and therefore expensive proposition. Keep a
regular image backup of the OS HD as you'll find that much valuable setup,
update, configuration and tuning is kept there.

How do I upgrade/replace my IDE data drives.
2 PC's with their own data.
I would like redundant data swapped between each PC.
My photos I work with on PC 1 are backed up on PC2
My video's I work with on PC 2 are backed up on PC1

SCSI SATA IDE RAID?? What do I need?

You need nightly/periodic backups to a removable media and keep a copy
offsite. The best option there is a couple of removable [S]ATA HDs in shock
mounted trays like KingWin KF-83. Keeping two copies on different PCs in
the same room covers VERY FEW threats.

Old June 24th 05, 11:59 PM
Ron Reaugh

"Fishhead" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have no back-up...
unless I start buring to DVD...

I could care less about an day/hour of work.
It is the total drive

EXACTLY what I've been telling you.

Old June 24th 05, 11:59 PM
Ron Reaugh

"Fishhead" wrote in message
ups.com...
Could I make 1 PC into a sort of Data server... that would store and
back it all up. (my wife could still use it to surf the web)

Why do you insist on avoiding the obvious solution.. REDUNDANT OFFSITE
BACKUPS.