Help - gfx card driver install problems

Old January 12th 10, 01:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

Default Help - gfx card driver install problems

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:54:42 -0000, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

Just a wild guess but have you disabled any firewall or malware
protection? Sometimes error messages can be deceiving.

Yep, been there, done that - it was the first thing I did before
trying to install the first time :-}

Getting desparate, you might try to see if you can install this driver
in a dual boot that has a clean OS. If it works, then you know you
have a software conflict in the first OS. If not, then likely a
hardware error.

Colin, when you do solve this, can you tell us what it was? I'd like
to learn by it.
Old January 12th 10, 05:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Cmplx80

Colin Wilson wrote:
I'll chip in with a wild guess: are you trying to install from an encrypted
folder, or is your temp folder encrypted?

'fraid not - i've never used an encrypted drive / folder, as I know
how much more awkward it makes emergency data recovery !

I might have missed it, but I didn't see where you mentioned your OS.
If it's Vista, I recall a similar problem while trying to upgrade the
drivers for the ATI 2400 card. I finally did the following:

(Best to do the following in safe mode)
Open up a command window and navigate to the folder that has your ATI
drivers. Something like: "C:\ATI\Support\9-11_vista32_win7_32\Bin"

type:

"atisetup.exe -uninstall -output screen" to uninstall current driver.

next, type:
"atisetup.exe -install -output screen" to install driver.

Frank

Old January 12th 10, 08:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

Getting desparate, you might try to see if you can install this driver
in a dual boot that has a clean OS. If it works, then you know you
have a software conflict in the first OS. If not, then likely a
hardware error.

I suspect it isn't a hardware error, the hardware detects fine - but I
recall similar issues when trying to update using newer drivers from
ATI a while ago - _nothing_ would shoe-horn them into place, and I had
to revert back to the official 3 year-old Dell version.

I put it down to the original gfx card being a "hypermemory" variant
that shares system RAM, and something funky to do with that.

Colin, when you do solve this, can you tell us what it was? I'd like
to learn by it.

Sure will !
Old January 12th 10, 08:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

I might have missed it, but I didn't see where you mentioned your OS.
If it's Vista, I recall a similar problem while trying to upgrade the
drivers for the ATI 2400 card. I finally did the following:

I'm on XP, and i've used the GUI uninstall apparently successfully.
All other components go in OK (catalyst install manager, catalyst
utils, M$ C++ libraries etc) - it's just the drivers that fail
consistently every single sodding time :-(

I'll give it a whirl though, nothing lost at this stage !

Incidentally, I spoke to Dell Tech Support about it before, and they
couldn't give any clues either, saying they'd do exactly what I did -
get the official drivers from ATI and bung them in.
Old January 12th 10, 09:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:15:37 -0000, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

Getting desparate, you might try to see if you can install this driver
in a dual boot that has a clean OS. If it works, then you know you
have a software conflict in the first OS. If not, then likely a
hardware error.

I suspect it isn't a hardware error, the hardware detects fine - but I
recall similar issues when trying to update using newer drivers from
ATI a while ago - _nothing_ would shoe-horn them into place, and I had
to revert back to the official 3 year-old Dell version.

I put it down to the original gfx card being a "hypermemory" variant
that shares system RAM, and something funky to do with that.

Colin, when you do solve this, can you tell us what it was? I'd like
to learn by it.

Sure will !

I know this will sound dumb but I presume you are updating with new
"XP" drivers ? Sorry Colin but just had to ask.
Old January 12th 10, 09:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

o.uk wrote:

Getting desparate, you might try to see if you can install this driver
in a dual boot that has a clean OS. If it works, then you know you
have a software conflict in the first OS. If not, then likely a
hardware error.

I suspect it isn't a hardware error, the hardware detects fine - but I
recall similar issues when trying to update using newer drivers from
ATI a while ago - _nothing_ would shoe-horn them into place, and I had
to revert back to the official 3 year-old Dell version.

I put it down to the original gfx card being a "hypermemory" variant
that shares system RAM, and something funky to do with that.

Colin, when you do solve this, can you tell us what it was? I'd like
to learn by it.

Sure will !

Just came upon this. Does it help you??
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php
Old January 12th 10, 11:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

I know this will sound dumb but I presume you are updating with new
"XP" drivers ? Sorry Colin but just had to ask.

Yup
Old January 12th 10, 11:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

"atisetup.exe -uninstall -output screen" to uninstall current driver.
next, type:
"atisetup.exe -install -output screen" to install driver.

Still fails with "failed to load display driver"
Old January 12th 10, 11:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

Just came upon this. Does it help you??
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php

I spotted that the other day and didn't read enough about it - just
giving it a whirl now - thanks for the heads up :-)
Old January 12th 10, 11:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

Just came upon this. Does it help you??
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php

Slightly different warning this time - possibly an improvement, but
since i've already checked and it should be ignoring driver
signatures...

(FAIL) "Driver Install: the driver package is not signed"

feck :-(