News: Dell refunds Windows price for Linux User

Old October 19th 09, 08:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Default News: Dell refunds Windows price for Linux User

Presented in case you'd find it interesting, otherwise pass on by...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10..._linux_refund/

William
Old October 19th 09, 09:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

Default Dell refunds Windows price for Linux User

i tired this years ago on a system that was being loaded with novel server
software right out of the box. dell would only allow me to return the
entire system, not just the microsoft software. will try again the next
time i am not going to use windows on a machine that comes pre-loaded but
wonder if there is something different about the laws in the uk then in the
usa. as to point number 4 in the persons blog (link below) about only being
able to accept the new microsoft eula, i think that turning off/unplugging
the computer would be an effective way to state that you do not accept the
terms of the agreement.
http://gwa.tumblr.com/

Old October 20th 09, 06:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jef Roe

"William R. Walsh" wrote in message
Presented in case you'd find it interesting, otherwise pass on by...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10..._linux_refund/

William

I wonder what he is going to do with Linux.

Old October 20th 09, 07:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

I wonder what he is going to do with Linux.

Browse, check email, pretty much anything you might want to do under
Windows - although it might not always be as pain free or easy to do.

On the other hand, while linux isn't 100% secure (nothing is), he'll
have pretty much zero hours per year devoted to securing and cleaning
****e off his machine, no AV "lag" to worry about, and so on.
Old October 21st 09, 06:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Alpha[_2_]

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message ...
I wonder what he is going to do with Linux.

Browse, check email, pretty much anything you might want to do under
Windows -

I am tired of hearing this. That is false. I have 25 important programs
that perform functions in multimedia, statistics, etc that have no Linux
versions.

Old October 21st 09, 09:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Lake

"Alpha" wrote in message

"Colin Wilson" o.uk
wrote in message
I wonder what he is going to do with Linux.

Browse, check email, pretty much anything you might want to do under
Windows -

I am tired of hearing this. That is false. I have 25 important programs
that perform functions in multimedia, statistics, etc that have no Linux
versions.

While the actual programs may not be available in Linux, programs that
perform the same *functions* are. That's what the person was saying.
If you name some of those twenty-five programs, I'm sure some one
can come up with an equivalent list of programs for Linux. They may
not work exactly the same as what you're used to using and may not
provide the output in the same exact format but they would give you
the same results. (BTW, I use Windows 7 exclusively just because
I like it)

Tom Lake

Old October 22nd 09, 12:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

I am tired of hearing this. That is false. I have 25 important programs
that perform functions in multimedia, statistics, etc that have no Linux
versions.

Might I just add then that you're not exactly a typical user then...

If it has no directly comparable linux versions (or do you mean
official ports) have you perhaps tried using them under wine ?
Old October 22nd 09, 02:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

"Alpha" wrote in message

"Colin Wilson" o.uk
wrote in message
I wonder what he is going to do with Linux.

Browse, check email, pretty much anything you might want to do under
Windows -

I am tired of hearing this. That is false. I have 25 important programs
that perform functions in multimedia, statistics, etc that have no Linux
versions.

you might have applications that are tied to a specific operating system,
but most people do not.
most people don't need anything more than a web browser, hence the
overwhelming success of netbooks.
thanks to microsoft's blunder with vista many large companies are not
jumping on the windows 7 bandwagon and instead are actually sticking with xp
for the foreseeable future and looking at alternate operating system. for
those that have already switched and faced with the same dilemma that you
have, namely an application that only works under a particular operating
system, they put it on a virtual server and use a remote desktop type
application to run it under the other operating system or in a web browser.
there is always a way to keep a legacy application alive. change is good.