Netapp F760 upgrade

Old October 28th 06, 03:58 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Fabio Erri

Default Netapp F760 upgrade

Hello,
we currently have a Netapp F760 with two FC9 shelfs doing NFS storage
for mail servers.
We have experienced a lack of performance in the last weeks: the cpu
level is still under 50%, so we suppose that the problem is the
read/write access to disks.
In your opinion, upgrading to F8xx NAS Server it would be a good choice?
Is available somewhere a performance benchmark for these old Netapps?

Bye.
F.
Old October 28th 06, 10:03 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:58:10 +0200, Fabio Erri
wrote:

Hello,
we currently have a Netapp F760 with two FC9 shelfs doing NFS storage
for mail servers.
We have experienced a lack of performance in the last weeks: the cpu
level is still under 50%, so we suppose that the problem is the
read/write access to disks.
In your opinion, upgrading to F8xx NAS Server it would be a good choice?
Is available somewhere a performance benchmark for these old Netapps?

Bye.
F.

Well, both the 700 and 800 models have been EOL'd (end of life'd) so
you can't buy them from NetApp anymore. In fact, support for the 700
models was discontinued in June but I don't know about the 800's.
Heck, even the 900's have had an EOL anounced though it hasn't taken
effect yet.

My recommendation would be to look at the 30x0 series, either the 3020
or 3050. Both are significant improvments over the 700 series
(somewhere around 3X) and are in mid-range for pricing.

For benchmarks look at specfs.org.

~F
Old October 29th 06, 11:01 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Fabio Erri

Faeandar ha scritto:
Well, both the 700 and 800 models have been EOL'd (end of life'd) so
you can't buy them from NetApp anymore. In fact, support for the 700
models was discontinued in June but I don't know about the 800's.

I thought to buy refurbished appliances, buying two complete systems to
have cold spare.
If possible, i wish to use present FC9 shelves and disks...

F.
Old October 30th 06, 07:40 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 12:01:37 +0100, Fabio Erri
wrote:

Faeandar ha scritto:
Well, both the 700 and 800 models have been EOL'd (end of life'd) so
you can't buy them from NetApp anymore. In fact, support for the 700
models was discontinued in June but I don't know about the 800's.

I thought to buy refurbished appliances, buying two complete systems to
have cold spare.
If possible, i wish to use present FC9 shelves and disks...

F.

Well, to answer your original query, I doubt it's a good choice to
upgrade to an 800. That is a 4 year old system and performance on
mid-range NAS out there is significantly better now than anything the
800 series would put together.
Now an 880 may still be comparable to today's mid-range but it's out
of support, so still not a good choice imo.

Check with a local VAR for options. Sun has a NAS appliance now
(STK?) that may do what you need.

~F
Old November 17th 06, 02:44 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

If you want to compare performance check out

http://www.spec.org/sfs97r1/results/

Just remember that these results are submited by the vendors
themselves.

The storage market is on fire right now and I would recommend that you
review what's available before buying used equipment.

Hope that helps.

Tom C.

Old November 19th 06, 02:29 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:39:04 +0100, Fabio Erri
wrote:

ha scritto:
The storage market is on fire right now and I would recommend that you
review what's available before buying used equipment.

What do you mean?

F.

I can only guess but my take is this: there are a large number of
vendors out there and many are ready to make a killer deal. Shop
around for new stuff before settling on old for price. You might be
suprised to find that new is cheaper....

~F