"lifetime warranty" for Canon print heads?

Old January 24th 07, 04:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brendan R. Wehrung

Default "lifetime warranty" for Canon print heads?

I just bought a new computer and at some point plan to upgrade it to the
about-to-arrive Windows Vista. It appeaars that my present Lexmark Z65
won't have a Vista driver written for it so I'm shopping for a printer I
can get a great on with the computer purchase.

What seems to be on offer is the Canon MP-160 ($45 after rebate on printer
and extra black and color carts) and Canon MP-600 ($150 after rebate on
printer and 2 black carts). The MP-600 is touted as having much better
print quality, does have seperate ink tanks--and the clerk in store claims
Canon offers a "lifetime warranty" on print heads.

Say what? Canon print heads, their durability and availability when you
need one has been the topic of quite a bit of dispute on these pages.
Never have I heard of any warranty, only that they are likely to last 4-5
ink tank changes (probably a couple of years) and then be difficult to
locate when I need one.

Maybe it would be better to pay the $45 for the MP-160 and look for
something better when I get tired of it.

Brendan
Old January 24th 07, 05:40 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Dan G

You will be much happier with the MP600. After 2 or 3 sets of carts for the
160, you will have paid for the 600.
As for in-store clerks, I think you already know you should ignore them. The
MP600 should be a great multi-function for you for at least 2-3 years. If
you only use 4-5 tanks sets in a couple years, it could last a lot longer
than that.

I'm not sure where you get your info about head life, but it's way off. I've
got one that lasted for at least 100 sets of compatible tanks, and another
that's gone through about 50. The heads are plentiful, and cost about $50.

If you're happy with a cheapo printer, then buy one. But if you expect
top-quality prints, get the MP600. It's one of the highest rated
multifunctions you can get for the money.

Old January 24th 07, 05:51 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:
I just bought a new computer and at some point plan to upgrade it to the
about-to-arrive Windows Vista. It appeaars that my present Lexmark Z65
won't have a Vista driver written for it

A stroke of fortune

so I'm shopping for a printer I
can get a great on with the computer purchase.

What seems to be on offer is the Canon MP-160 ($45 after rebate on printer
and extra black and color carts) and Canon MP-600 ($150 after rebate on
printer and 2 black carts). The MP-600 is touted as having much better
print quality, does have seperate ink tanks--and the clerk in store claims
Canon offers a "lifetime warranty" on print heads.

Ask him what he smokes
Say what? Canon print heads, their durability and availability when you
need one has been the topic of quite a bit of dispute on these pages.
Never have I heard of any warranty, only that they are likely to last 4-5
ink tank changes (probably a couple of years) and then be difficult to
locate when I need one.

Maybe it would be better to pay the $45 for the MP-160 and look for
something better when I get tired of it.

That is trash
Brendan

Old January 24th 07, 05:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Dan G wrote:
You will be much happier with the MP600. After 2 or 3 sets of carts for the
160, you will have paid for the 600.
As for in-store clerks, I think you already know you should ignore them.

You should ignore the refiller plants in this ng
The
MP600 should be a great multi-function for you for at least 2-3 years. If
you only use 4-5 tanks sets in a couple years, it could last a lot longer
than that.

I'm not sure where you get your info about head life, but it's way off. I've
got one that lasted for at least 100 sets of compatible tanks,

Maybe you should believe the clerks at the store

Old January 25th 07, 12:05 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Although I cannot speak to your current printer, Vista will have many
more in box drivers than XP did when it came out, in fact, MS has asked
the printer manufacturers to consider writing new drivers for some
printers which were without drivers for XP, and some did, including
Epson. So, amazingly enough, some printers that have been without
drivers for XP may now have drivers for Vista.

Art