Processor Upgrade

Old January 6th 04, 09:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
CW

Default Processor Upgrade

I am considering upgrading my motherboard and processor - from Athlon
M4(Thunderbird) 1.1 to an AMD XP 2800 - but will I need to get a new case
as well? I currently have a 300watt case, I would be grateful if someone
could advise me.

Colin Webb

Old January 6th 04, 09:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:04:57 +0000, CW wrote:

I am considering upgrading my motherboard and processor - from Athlon
M4(Thunderbird) 1.1 to an AMD XP 2800 - but will I need to get a new case
as well? I currently have a 300watt case, I would be grateful if someone
could advise me.

If you like your current case, just replace the PS, or you could just
upgrade the cpu only and keep the rest of your system.

Old January 6th 04, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
RJW

"CW" wrote in message

I am considering upgrading my motherboard and processor - from Athlon
M4(Thunderbird) 1.1 to an AMD XP 2800 - but will I need to get a new case
as well? I currently have a 300watt case, I would be grateful if someone
could advise me.
Colin Webb

Colin,
I just built a new 2800 system and used a Thermaltake V1000D case with an
Antec 480 Watt PSU and haven't had a single problem.
Good luck and let us know what happens.
Servo

Old January 7th 04, 12:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
CW

Thanks for all the info from everyone, I have since discovered I need a PSU
rated at least at 431Watts.
I think I shall just replace the PSU (along with the motherboard and CPU)
although a couple of the leads from the case (not the PSU) to the
motherboard look a bit daunting to re-attach to my new motherboard.
Did consider not replacing the motherboard but cannot upgrade the CPU on it.
Colin Webb

Old January 7th 04, 07:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:36:15 +0000, CW wrote:

Did consider not replacing the motherboard but cannot upgrade the CPU on it.

Why? Who told you you couldn't? That's what abit told me too. Does it have
at least a 50MHz FSB? If it does (and they didnt make any socket A boards
any slower than 100MHz) it should be able to run any socket A cpu made.
You just have to know how, and get the right one if you want it to be
easy. What board and chipset do you board have? See link below.

Old January 7th 04, 07:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
RJW

"CW" wrote in message
Thanks for all the info from everyone, I have since discovered I need a

PSU
rated at least at 431Watts.
I think I shall just replace the PSU (along with the motherboard and CPU)
although a couple of the leads from the case (not the PSU) to the
motherboard look a bit daunting to re-attach to my new motherboard.
Did consider not replacing the motherboard but cannot upgrade the CPU on

it.
Colin Webb

Any leads (speaker, power, reset, etc.) from the case to the existing mobo
should be carefully documented BEFORE detaching them. Your new mobo will
have instructions on where these leads connect. Check them carefully before
powering up.

Old January 7th 04, 09:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
J.Clarke

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:10:58 GMT
Wes Newell wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:36:15 +0000, CW wrote:

Did consider not replacing the motherboard but cannot upgrade the
CPU on it.

Why? Who told you you couldn't? That's what abit told me too. Does it
have at least a 50MHz FSB? If it does (and they didnt make any socket
A boards any slower than 100MHz) it should be able to run any socket A
cpu made. You just have to know how, and get the right one if you want
it to be easy. What board and chipset do you board have? See link
below.

That's like saying "if you want to become a billionaire you just have to
know how". The "knowing how" is the catch.

I note that you're real big on "anything can be done" but not very
strong on "here's how to do it" except for the one or two boards with
which you have personal experience.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old January 7th 04, 11:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:13:08 -0500, J.Clarke wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:10:58 GMT
Wes Newell wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:36:15 +0000, CW wrote:

Did consider not replacing the motherboard but cannot upgrade the
CPU on it.

Why? Who told you you couldn't? That's what abit told me too. Does it
have at least a 50MHz FSB? If it does (and they didnt make any socket
A boards any slower than 100MHz) it should be able to run any socket A
cpu made. You just have to know how, and get the right one if you want
it to be easy. What board and chipset do you board have? See link
below.

That's like saying "if you want to become a billionaire you just have to
know how". The "knowing how" is the catch.

I note that you're real big on "anything can be done" but not very
strong on "here's how to do it" except for the one or two boards with
which you have personal experience.

WTF is your problem John. You've been ragging on me for a while now and
I'm getting a little sick of it. And since I don't know which board he
has, how the hell do you expect me to tell him how to do it. If you're so
****ing smart, you tell him. Also, the link below applies to most boards,
not just the ONE I have. I've pointed this out to many with different
types of boards from many different manufacturers and they have confirmed
everything I've said. Yes, there's a few that have had problems, but this
proves mostly, if not entirely, to be from the lack of understanding of
the invidual. So unless you have a crystal ball and can tell this guy how
to do it, why not just keep your ****ing insults to yourself. I was just
pointing out that he has other options than to replace his board.

Old January 8th 04, 12:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
J.Clarke

Wes Newell wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:36:15 +0000, CW wrote:

Did consider not replacing the motherboard but cannot upgrade the
CPU on it.

Why? Who told you you couldn't? That's what abit told me too. Does

it have at least a 50MHz FSB? If it does (and they didnt make any
socket A boards any slower than 100MHz) it should be able to run any
socket A cpu made. You just have to know how, and get the right one
if you want it to be easy. What board and chipset do you board have?
See link below.

That's like saying "if you want to become a billionaire you just
have to know how". The "knowing how" is the catch.

I note that you're real big on "anything can be done" but not very
strong on "here's how to do it" except for the one or two boards
with which you have personal experience.

WTF is your problem John.

My problem is that your little fantasy doesn't pass reality check--you
keep asserting over and over that any socket A chip can be used in any
Socket A board, and it simply ain't so. You may _believe_ it is, but
that just means that you haven't encountered a board that won't allow
it.

You've been ragging on me for a while now
and I'm getting a little sick of it.

Pity.

And since I don't know which
board he has, how the hell do you expect me to tell him how to do it.

I've never seen you tell _anybody_ how to do it. And if you don't know
what motherboard he has, how do you know that it will work?

If you're so ****ing smart, you tell him.

You're the self-proclaimed expert here, not me. And since I've never
claimed that you can stick any random Athlon into any random Socket A
board and have it work, I fail to see why I would be expected to tell
someone how to do this.

Also, the link below applies
to most boards, not just the ONE I have.

The link mentions specifically the KT133. It doesn't say anything at
all about any other chipset except the KT133A, and it doesn't mention
any brand of board but Abit. While the techniques described very likely
will work with many other boards and chipsets, that doesn't mean that
they will work for every board and every chipset.

I've pointed this out to many
with different types of boards from many different manufacturers and
they have confirmed everything I've said.

So? "Many" is not "all"

Yes, there's a few that have
had problems, but this proves mostly, if not entirely, to be from the
lack of understanding of the invidual.

Uh huh. When you can't figure out how to make it work blame the other
guy.

So unless you have a crystal
ball and can tell this guy how to do it, why not just keep your
****ing insults to yourself. I was just pointing out that he has other
options than to replace his board.

He has some things that he can try, with no guarantee that they'll work.