Could this be a CPU bug?

Old September 10th 03, 04:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
pass

Default Could this be a CPU bug?

Hello.

My computer is having this chronic problem which I believe is hardware
related. I've narrowed it down to either the CPU (Athlon Thunderbird 850
socket A) or the motherboard ( Asus A7V133-VM, VIA KM133 chipset)
The problem happens at random, but is more commonly 'provoked' when
there are sizeable numbers of bitmaps being held or loaded into memory,
by this I mean things such as icons in software, loading a webpage with
lots of pictures, etc. The application then quickly leaks 100s of mbs of
ram until it runs out of resources (things go black & white or fail to
display) & crashes. I think this is an issue related to AGP. Software &
video cards are not the issue.
Is it possible that this could be being caused by the CPU? I've read
about some AGP bug affecting Thunderbirds when processing 3D, but this
affects 2D only.

Any help appreciated (I am tired of faulty hardware).

Old September 10th 03, 04:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
E_\\_¼__½__¾__F

What OS do you use?
I used to have this all the time with Windoze ME (and sometimes, yet, not as often with 98).

Old September 10th 03, 09:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
rstlne

[...]

how do you know that this isnt a software issue?..
now.. for the data to be continally pushed to the ram in a loop then I would
say "if" there is a problem then it's with the motherboard..

Personally I think it's a software issue (no matter what microsoft tells
you)

Old September 10th 03, 10:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Ben Pope

pass wrote:
[...]

It sounds like it is software to me... I mean the hardware doesn't know if
you have bitmaps in memory does it?

Do they start out as bitmaps or GIFs? Or JPEGS?

I would suggest that this is a software problem related to the image
decoder - maybe a corrupt dll

How do you know it's not faulty software? If you were a software engineer
you would know that you simply cannot be entirely sure that there are no
faults in software. And if you are not a software engineer you would be
hard pushed to attempt to diagnose it.

Ben

Old September 10th 03, 03:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
pass

"E_\\_¼__½__¾__F" wrote:

What OS do you use?
I used to have this all the time with Windoze ME (and sometimes, yet, not as often with 98).

This happens for me in both Windows ME & Win95. What motherboard & CPU were you using?

Old September 10th 03, 03:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
pass

Ben Pope wrote:

pass wrote:
This happens for me in both Windows ME & Win95. What motherboard &
CPU were you using?

"I've narrowed it down to either the CPU (Athlon Thunderbird 850
socket A) or the motherboard ( Asus A7V133-VM, VIA KM133 chipset)"

Yes, so I want to know if he was using one or the other. Why did you
post that?

Ben

Old September 10th 03, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
rstlne

pass wrote:
This happens for me in both Windows ME & Win95. What motherboard &
CPU were you using?

"I've narrowed it down to either the CPU (Athlon Thunderbird 850
socket A) or the motherboard ( Asus A7V133-VM, VIA KM133 chipset)"

Ben

Hey Ben
what's that useless quote for? heh
Your telling the original poster what the original poster said..

Old September 10th 03, 04:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Ben Pope

pass wrote:
Ben Pope wrote:

pass wrote:
This happens for me in both Windows ME & Win95. What motherboard &
CPU were you using?

"I've narrowed it down to either the CPU (Athlon Thunderbird 850
socket A) or the motherboard ( Asus A7V133-VM, VIA KM133 chipset)"

Yes, so I want to know if he was using one or the other. Why did you
post that?

My bad, didn't realise it was you asking the question!

Ben

Old September 10th 03, 04:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Ben Pope

rstlne wrote:
Hey Ben
what's that useless quote for? heh
Your telling the original poster what the original poster said..

He might not have been listening when he said that!

:-P

Ben