Cool & Quiet is insignificant : can cool my LE1620 just a bit ( 2ºC )

Old August 22nd 10, 02:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
TE Cheah

Default Cool & Quiet is insignificant : can cool my LE1620 just a bit ( 2ºC )

No match to e.g. CPUidle ( on dos apps ) / Rain ( on K6 ) / CPUcool
( on K7 ), but none of these can cool a K8.
Does any1 here know of a utility to cool a K8 ?

Old August 22nd 10, 06:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

Default Cool & Quiet is insignificant : can cool my LE1620 just a bit ( 2�C )

If cool and quiet is working ok, then I don't think you can do better,
or much better.

You might also do a comparison using a meter at the wall, such as the
Kill A Watt.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old August 22nd 10, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

Wait --

Actually, you might be able to use Crystal CPUID to control the cool and
quiet steps -- probably would have to uninstall the AMD driver -- and go
for lower voltages, but you'd have to torture test each step (by turning
off the automatic changes and setting the speed of one step and the
proposed voltage) with intel burn test.

Or, if you don't mind losing speed, you could underclock it, with the
lowest stable voltage you could find.

Old August 23rd 10, 10:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
TE Cheah

Actually, you might be able to use Crystal CPUID to control the cool and quiet steps -- probably would have to uninstall the AMD
driver -- and go for lower voltages, but you'd have to torture test each step (by turning off the automatic changes and setting
the speed of one step and the proposed voltage) with intel burn test.

Tom's Hardware has 1 article on this, why spend time to tweak /
improve a stupid technique ? Just suspension of voltage will cool cpu
well. AMD 's site has no graph to show this C&Q caused tmprtre drop
, just thousands of words, because they know C&Q is nearly useless.

Or, if you don't mind losing speed, you could underclock it, with the lowest stable voltage you could find.

I did this to reduce a Barton's heat flow into a nForce2 north
bridge ( jams if hot ), til I remembered CPUcool* can suspend
voltage. Now I need not uc to 133 x11, can even oc to 180 x11.
* / Rain / Vcool all make C&Q look stupid, I may dump AMD for
Intel soon.

Old August 24th 10, 07:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 05:35:17 +0800, TE Cheah wrote:

Tom's Hardware has 1 article on this, why spend time to tweak / improve
a stupid technique ? Just suspension of voltage will cool cpu well.
AMD 's site has no graph to show this C&Q caused tmprtre drop , just
thousands of words, because they know C&Q is nearly useless.

Hmmmm... C&Q Works quite well for me. Current CPU temp is 23.5C. Ambient
is 21.9C. Using cpufreq, which lowers speed and voltage when demand is
low.

Old January 17th 11, 02:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Jim[_31_]

RMClock
http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml