Samsung SM930BF 19" from High Street vendor?

Old March 15th 06, 03:14 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Default Samsung SM930BF 19" from High Street vendor?

I want two of these monitors, and was going to order them Misco until I
realised the hassle and expense (and risk) of returning them should they
be defective (not just from a dead pixels POV). So I thought I'd scout
around some high street vendors with an online presence -- like Tesco,
John Lewis, PC World, etc. Unfortunately, none of them sell this
monitor...so I was wondering if anybody here could recommend some place?

Thanks.
--
WM
Old March 15th 06, 03:43 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/sa...ions/index.htm

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Old March 15th 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

"Noel Paton" wrote in message

"Walker" wrote in message
I want two of these monitors, and was going to order them Misco until I
realised the hassle and expense (and risk) of returning them should they
be defective (not just from a dead pixels POV). So I thought I'd scout
around some high street vendors with an online presence -- like Tesco,
John Lewis, PC World, etc. Unfortunately, none of them sell this
monitor...so I was wondering if anybody here could recommend some place?

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/sa...ions/index.htm

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

I would check your local staples, my friend got a Samsung 19" monitor
replacement for an ACER that went belly-up whilst in warranty

Old March 15th 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Noel Paton wrote:
"Walker" wrote in message
I want two of these monitors, and was going to order them Misco until I
realised the hassle and expense (and risk) of returning them should they be
defective (not just from a dead pixels POV). So I thought I'd scout around
some high street vendors with an online presence -- like Tesco, John Lewis,
PC World, etc. Unfortunately, none of them sell this monitor...so I was
wondering if anybody here could recommend some place?

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/sa...ions/index.htm

Tried that before of course, but unfortunately not a single one in my area.

--
WM
Old March 15th 06, 05:24 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Dave wrote:
"Noel Paton" wrote in message
"Walker" wrote in message
I want two of these monitors, and was going to order them Misco until I
realised the hassle and expense (and risk) of returning them should they
be defective (not just from a dead pixels POV). So I thought I'd scout
around some high street vendors with an online presence -- like Tesco,
John Lewis, PC World, etc. Unfortunately, none of them sell this
monitor...so I was wondering if anybody here could recommend some place?

I would check your local staples, my friend got a Samsung 19" monitor
replacement for an ACER that went belly-up whilst in warranty

Thanks. Hadn't thought of them (I generally avoid because they're so
expensive), but I'll give them a whirl. :-)

--
WM
Old March 15th 06, 05:30 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

"Walker" wrote in message
Noel Paton wrote:
"Walker" wrote in message
I want two of these monitors, and was going to order them Misco until I
realised the hassle and expense (and risk) of returning them should they
be defective (not just from a dead pixels POV). So I thought I'd scout
around some high street vendors with an online presence -- like Tesco,
John Lewis, PC World, etc. Unfortunately, none of them sell this
monitor...so I was wondering if anybody here could recommend some place?

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/sa...ions/index.htm

Tried that before of course, but unfortunately not a single one in my
area.

Almost all the ones I came up with were pcworld - and one John Lewis.
try phoning your local store

Old March 16th 06, 11:17 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Noel Paton wrote:
"Walker" wrote in message
Noel Paton wrote:
"Walker" wrote in message
I want two of these monitors, and was going to order them Misco until I
realised the hassle and expense (and risk) of returning them should they
be defective (not just from a dead pixels POV). So I thought I'd scout
around some high street vendors with an online presence -- like Tesco,
John Lewis, PC World, etc. Unfortunately, none of them sell this
monitor...so I was wondering if anybody here could recommend some place?
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/sa...ions/index.htm

Tried that before of course, but unfortunately not a single one in my
area.

Almost all the ones I came up with were pcworld - and one John Lewis.
try phoning your local store

Doesn't look like I'm going to get one. No High Street retailer has
them in stock, and I'm surprised to find that one or two won't consider
refunding a £250 monitor with a single dead pixel noticed on the day of
purchase, when they'll refund the £400 cost of a domestic DVD recorder
within the first thirty days for no reason whatsoever (even if it's in
perfect working order).

Even Littlewoods waive the right to home approval of TFT monitors
costing less than £200, but will collect a £800 "home entertainment
system" from you within thirty days for a complete refund even if it's
not faulty. You don't even pay for delivery...never mind a collection
charge.

Where's the logic in that?
--
WM
Old March 16th 06, 11:48 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

"Walker" wrote in message
Noel Paton wrote:
"Walker" wrote in message
Noel Paton wrote:
"Walker" wrote in message
[...]

The logic is quite simple - it's an industry standard
on the average monitor you're allowed up to 9 dead pixels (so long as
they're not grouped) before you have the right to a replacement for
technical reasons - not sure where you'd stand on the DSR and SOGA if you
tried to insist.
I've been lucky so far - not a single dead pixel in any of the 6 monitors
I've installed, with no pre-sales checks/costs.

Old March 16th 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Noel Paton wrote:
"Walker" wrote in message

Doesn't look like I'm going to get one. No High Street retailer has them
in stock, and I'm surprised to find that one or two won't consider
refunding a £250 monitor with a single dead pixel noticed on the day of
purchase, when they'll refund the £400 cost of a domestic DVD recorder
within the first thirty days for no reason whatsoever (even if it's in
perfect working order).

Even Littlewoods waive the right to home approval of TFT monitors costing
less than £200, but will collect a £800 "home entertainment system" from
you within thirty days for a complete refund even if it's not faulty. You
don't even pay for delivery...never mind a collection charge.

Where's the logic in that?

The logic is quite simple - it's an industry standard

But the difference in returns policy for monitors -- considering the 30
day home approval some companies adopt is *not* a standard -- *is*
illogical.

In the US for example, Dell has a 30 day money back guarantee. One
customer (see he http://tinyurl.com/j3wao) was told he'd have to have
a refurbished unit which might have seven dead pixels. So he returned
his laptop for a complete refund and ordered another brand new one. The
new one was fine. Ridiculous.

Now we're in a situation where companies with 30 day money back
guarantees will supply them for everything (including items worth
thousands of pounds) except monitors. But products don't have to be
faulty under this guarantee. So monitors could be returned with no dead
pixels if they weren't excluded. But they are. The logical explanation
is...?

--
WM
Old March 17th 06, 07:12 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

"Walker" wrote in message
Noel Paton wrote:
"Walker" wrote in message

[...]

Business foresight, British business sits on its hands and lets the customer
come to them.
Dell are cutting a swathe through the business and home computer market,
attacking the complacency of British companies.