computer completely dead

Old May 20th 06, 04:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default computer completely dead

Hi all,

I went to start up my computer today after not using it for 2 days and it is
completely dead. I hit the power button and nothing happens. I checked
that it is plugged in and there is power to it. The little switch on the
power supply is fine as well. I tried plugging it in to a different outlet
and nothing. No lights, no fans, etc.

I opened it up and nothing looks burned or seared. I did notice when I put
power to it that there is a little hum. It sounds like the power supply,
hard to tell though.

I have a second computer in the same room and it seems fine. When I started
it up it did take me right to the bios screen and I had to reconfigure my
bios. Never had that happen on that box.

It is an Antec case (sonata II) with the smart power power supply. It is
homebuilt and has worked without a problem since November.

I'm thinking it may be a dead power supply. But I have to pull the heat
sink to get the power supply out and it is a pain. So before I do that
could I get some ideas on what the problem might be?

Glenn

Old May 20th 06, 07:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Gkenney" wrote in message
[...]

There is a 99.99% chance that your power supply is dead. Your other
computer needs a new CMOS battery. After the CMOS battery is replaced, you
will need to load BIOS defaults. -Dave

Old May 20th 06, 04:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Fri, 19 May 2006 23:07:03 -0400, Gkenney wrote:

[...]

Check out the capacitors on the motherboard, they are the cylinder-shaped
things that stick up. If any look bulging or like they've leaked a
brownish-color liquid, the board is more than likely dead.

The other computer probably needs a new battery. When CMOS settings are
lost, it usually means a dead battery.

Patty
Old May 20th 06, 06:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

the ones that I can see look fine. I have to pull the heat sink out to get
the new power supply in and I can see the rest then. Thanks for the heads up
on this.

I am curious about the CMOS battery. I've never had an issue with it and
the computer came up fine this morning. Is there another reason that the
bios screen would come up right away like that.

Glenn

. ..

Old May 21st 06, 12:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

i had the same problem, i bouth a 550 w true smart for 99 dollars,
problem fixed. To remove the psu i just used a set of pliers and very
carefully removed the aluminum brace rivets, by wigling it back and
forth until they pop out, just the ones facing the front of the case,
you will have enough room to play, then i replaced them with machine
screws.

Fan speeds Texas Yankee Overclocking 6 March 8th 06 04:09 PM
Sudden Reboot - Dell XPS P4 3.0GHZ Steve Buck Dell Computers 0 November 17th 04 11:45 PM
Hewlett-Packard & Circuit City Richard E Sgrignoli General 2 March 17th 04 09:42 AM
How to Fix Your Computer Ben Dellar Asus Motherboards 2 November 12th 03 01:39 AM
Silent Computer - Advice David Taylor Homebuilt PC's 51 October 7th 03 11:26 AM