memory decision with p4c800E-deluxe

Old August 29th 03, 05:16 PM
warlord716

Default memory decision with p4c800E-deluxe

i am wondering the right type of memory for my ocing system...see post
below.

i was thinkgin of going with pc3200 corsair xms but is it really better if i
get pc 3700 or even 4000 for overclocking? and more importantly will this
work with my mobo? im pretty sure it will but according to asus' official
documents stuff they say ddr 400 memory.

the brand of memory i will figure out when i finalize my decision on they
exact type...ill goto tomshardware or sometheing
thanks

Old August 29th 03, 06:34 PM
Fishface

warlord716 yahoo.com wrote:

the brand of memory i will figure out when i finalize my decision
on they exact type...ill goto tomshardware or sometheing

This article may be right up your alley:

"Searching for the Memory Holy Grail - Part 2"
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.html?i=1849

Old August 29th 03, 07:10 PM
Frank Weston

It may depend on the processor you choose. With the P4C800 Deluxe, you get
the choice of 3 memory dividers 1:1, 4:5, and 2:3. If you're going with the
800 FSB processor, you have a choice of 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, and 3.2 Ghz.
Assuming that 3.4 Ghz (the supposed INTEL design limit) is a reasonable
overclock for any of these, here are some workable combos:

2.4 Ghz, 283 FSB, PC3700 @ 4:5 or PC3000 @ 2:3
2.6 Ghz, 261 FSB, PC3500 @ 4:5 or PC2700 @2:3
2.8 Ghz, 243 FSB, PC4000 @ 1:1, or PC3200 @ 4:5, or PC2700 @ 2:3
3.2 Ghz, 227 FSB, PC3700 @ 1:1, or PC3000 @ 4:5 or PC2400 @ 2:3

If I were choosing, and I just did, I would get the 2.8 Ghz processor and
PC4000 memory. That combo is about $320 (Newegg) cheaper than the 3.2 with
PC3700 and will more than likely yield as good or better performance.
Second choice might be the 2.4 with PC3700. That combo will be another $100
cheaper, but you may end up pushing things to get to 3.4 Ghz.

Good luck!

Old August 30th 03, 02:19 AM
warlord716

ok thanks this helps alot

just to make sure tho:

the higher ghz cpus have a lower fsb cause u dont need to oc them that much
to get to 3.4 ghz, right?

and also i m guessing having memory dividers at 1:1 is better than 4:5 is
better than 2:3?

ok thx a bunch

Old August 30th 03, 02:34 AM
warlord716

woohoo normally idont double post but this is awesome...they test it with
the same mobo im planning on getting

mad props to you fishface
"warlord716 yahoo.com" warlord716@NOSPAM wrote in message
nice one man...as of august 26

Old August 30th 03, 02:52 PM
Frank Weston

"warlord716 yahoo.com" warlord716@NOSPAM wrote in message
ok thanks this helps alot

just to make sure tho:

the higher ghz cpus have a lower fsb cause u dont need to oc them that

much
to get to 3.4 ghz, right?

Yes. Everything will change if you decide to overclock more or less. I
picked 3.4, because it's reasonable and supposedly the design limit of the
processor.

and also i m guessing having memory dividers at 1:1 is better than 4:5 is
better than 2:3?

In theory, and in some tests, yes.

ok thx a bunch