problem adding memory to compaq deskpro en

Old February 7th 05, 08:11 PM

Default problem adding memory to compaq deskpro en

Hi - I have a problem getting windows 98 to see some additional memory
I have installed in my Compaq Deskpro EN - it had one 128MB stick, I
have just added a 256 MB stick. The Compaq configuration record show
Compaq memory = 384Mb and Windows memory = 128Mb. Windows system info
shows 128Mb. The CMOS setting also show 128Mb and there doesn't seem
to be any way to change it. Compaq memory diagnostics see 384Mb and the
memory tests pass.

I tried swapping the meory sticks around. The system won't boot with
the new 256 Kb stick in the first slot - the bios just beeps at me.

I also tried upgrading the bios from 686P2 v2.11 to 686P2 v3.14 - no
joy.

I suspect the fact that the diagnostics claim to see 384Mb is a
red-herring and there is something incompataible about the memory - it
is a "Standard 'V-Data' 256MB stick of SD RAM, PC133, DIMM, 168 "

I have a 1 GHz Celeron CPU which I think is non-standard - maybe that
has something to do with it?

Any ideas?

Old February 7th 05, 11:20 PM
Michael Hawes

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Have you updated CMOS config? Did you exit with F10 key? Have you checked
with Crucial website that you have correct memory?
Mike.

Old February 8th 05, 07:48 AM
patfada

Sorry but I - I was using the beta version of google groups and it si
showing my email instead of my alias, so to avodi the spam I've deleted
the top post. I will repost.

To answer your questions
- the CMOS config doesnt have an option to edit the meory settings so
I assume it supposed to auto-detect it

=- Criucial wasnt much help - I dran their activeX checker and it said
it didnt recognzie my system

Old February 8th 05, 11:32 PM
Michael Hawes

"patfada" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry but I - I was using the beta version of google groups and it si
showing my email instead of my alias, so to avodi the spam I've deleted
the top post. I will repost.

To answer your questions
- the CMOS config doesnt have an option to edit the meory settings so
I assume it supposed to auto-detect it

=- Criucial wasnt much help - I dran their activeX checker and it said
it didnt recognzie my system

Have you checked Compaq/HP website? What CPU? Have you tried with only
the new memory, if fail to boot, memory faulty or incompatible.
Mike.

Old February 11th 05, 03:22 AM
K Doty

is the motherboard compatable withthe memory and will it handle that much
memory or brand, check in on that first.Some limit how much memory thay can
handle unfortunately
oups.com...