problem adding memory to a Compaq Deskpro En

Old February 6th 05, 08:15 PM

Default problem adding memory to a Compaq Deskpro En

Hi - I have a problem installing additional memory in my Compaq Deskpro
EN (Windows 98)- it had one 128MB stick, I have just added a 256 MB
stick. The Compaq configuration record show Compaq memory = 384Mb and
Windows memory = 128Mb. Windows system info shows 128Mb. The POST only
sees 128 Mb. The CMOS setting also show 128Mb and there doesn't seem
to be any way to change it. Compaq memory diagnostics see 384Mb and the
memory tests pass.

I tried swapping the stick around. The system won't boot with the new
256 stick
in the first slot - the bios just beeps at me.

I also tried upgrading the bios from 686P2 v2.11 to 686P2 v3.14 - no
joy.

I have a 1 GHz Celeron CPU which I think is non-standard - maybe that
has something to do with it?

Any suggestions?

Old February 6th 05, 08:25 PM
JAD

I tried swapping the stick around. The system won't boot with the new
256 stick
in the first slot - the bios just beeps at me.

Time to look at the manual for memory requirements. Compaq's are
notorious for incompatibilities, more so early on.

ups.com...

Old February 6th 05, 09:04 PM
BudMan

wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi - I have a problem installing additional memory in my Compaq Deskpro
EN (Windows 98)- it had one 128MB stick, I have just added a 256 MB
stick. The Compaq configuration record show Compaq memory = 384Mb and
Windows memory = 128Mb. Windows system info shows 128Mb. The POST only
sees 128 Mb. The CMOS setting also show 128Mb and there doesn't seem
to be any way to change it. Compaq memory diagnostics see 384Mb and the
memory tests pass.

I tried swapping the stick around. The system won't boot with the new
256 stick
in the first slot - the bios just beeps at me.

I also tried upgrading the bios from 686P2 v2.11 to 686P2 v3.14 - no
joy.

I have a 1 GHz Celeron CPU which I think is non-standard - maybe that
has something to do with it?

Any suggestions?

I had the same issue (among others) with my Compaq. When I added RAM to
bank 1 the system would not boot if there was a stick in bank 0. Tried a
single 512 stick still would not boot. Called service, they ran me around
until they finally send me a FedEx box to send it back. This was the fourth
time it went back for service. The first three were for a hard drive that
was dying. Since the drive was not dead at the repair depot all they did
was re-install the OS! This time it came back with a "new" motherboard.
Tried to add a second memory stick. Same problem. I really don't think
they did anything.
Now the system is out of warranty the only thing its used for is for a print
server for my wireless network.
This is the first off the shelf system I have ever purchased and it will be
the last. There is so much to be said for building your own.