HALPPPP!

Old December 15th 13, 07:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
hp

Default HALPPPP!

Seems I have committted several bonehead moves.

Ok, due to a failing motherboard issue, I ended up replacing the Mb,
got new Ram, got new CPU, both faster then the old stuff.

The basic computer works, while doing all this I also migrated to
win 7 Ultimate, away from XP x64.
My First living with win 7 experience.

At first I kept the older hard drives I was using. So my "C" and "D"
(partitions on the first drive) was the main drive I worked with.
I got 7 installed and eventually mostly working like I was used to
before the 'upgrade'. Well all except it's win 7 and not XP, :-)
I DID re-format the "C" partition for the win 7 install process.

All of the programs and files from the older XP x64 setup was
COPIED over to another drive to be used as a reference of what was
loaded and being used so that I could get everything I was used to
using re-installed in Win 7. So Far So Good I thought! Sure sounded
like a plan to me!

ok, I started out with Just the primary drive installed to get win 7
installed and updated. I then installed a fresh Download of an AV
program and firefox.

Once I had a level of protection for going out on the 'net, I got win 7
all updated. Then I hooked up my second drive so that I had a guideline
as to what all else was going to be installed on the fresh "C" partition
on the first drive. As well as the source to copy from for my working
data files I needed to migrate to the 'new order of things'.
Some stuff was a straight install the program I already had, some stuff
was 'go get updated versions', a mix of old and 'newer'.

Once I felt I was maybe 99% 'back together' I then ran most of the
programs to test 'do they work like I am used to?', Do I need to reset
options in some of them? Ok, got thru that process, so far so good.

SINCE I was working with the secondary backup of all these programs and
files I had no qualms about going into the second hard drive and
starting to delete the 'examples' and all the data files, Only After
coping them to "C" as needed AND tested for 'Yups they are there and I
can use them'.

BONG!!! WRONG!!!! Seems Win 7 went bonkers after I got a lot of that
all done, shoot, All I was trying for then was to clean the second drive
so that it could be used as another 'pair of partitions' for organizing
and storing my data files. None of these drives are of the 'really
biggy' drives nature.

After all, when using the freshly installed programs they had no
problems accessing and using those files as they were copied, placed on
the "C" drive

Well, Win 7 was so buggered that I REDID the whole thing. a FRESH
install of win 7, fresh installs of all my programs, re-copied the data
files from my backups (OFF a DIFFERENT hard drive) and then holding my
breath Off I went to try and understand what the farbles happened.

While watching one of my "C" drive folders I went over to the drive I
was using to copy from and deleted some of the files, WHAM BAM they
disappeared from the "C" drive WHAT THE SMUCK????? I'm Looking at the
folder path for the deleted files, "G" and they go By-By on "C".
I look in the recycle bin, that shows they came from the "G" drive,
NOT the "C" drive.

What is this process 'called'??
Can This 'mirroring' be killed??
Can win 7 really store my data files in "C" like so many programs
want to?
Are the "C" folders "Phantom"??
I Need to break this 'Symbiotic' relationship so I can reuse the
second drive for my data holders, holding different data then the
data stored on "C" or "D" (partitions on the brand spanking new HD).

THEN I went thru this entire process again with a brand spanking new
hard drive for the "C" and "D" partitions on a single drive, AGAIN using
a second drive as the holder of all my data files.
AGAIN, as soon as I deleted the data file off that second drive they
pulled a Houdini on the new drive. That aint RIGHT!
My Head Aches from all these tribulations! (let alone all those re-boots
from all that installing and updating)

I haven't even thought about hooking up my other hard-drives with the
rest of my working files stored there yet! I'm afraid they will get
dragged into this mess also.

My 'old' XP configuration was thusly:
"C" and "D" was my first drive, programs and their primary associated
data files on "C", the OS, a browser, a email client, graphics and music
editing programs, etc etc. Some of those had add-ons and plug-ins, they
too were on the "C" partition.
Some of the data files for those programs were ran off the "D" partition.
"F" and "G" (partitions on a second drive) held another group of mostly
just data files.
"J" drive, an OLD ata drive, was my 'torrent' drive, its small!!
(80giggles), since it isn't dead yet and continues to plod along after 8
years that suits me fine.

If Win 7 'mirrors' or what ever is really happening, I am real hesitant
to try and return to that sort of managing my files until I know how to
'correct' this situation

Hopefully I have been clear enough that this aids someone in pointing me
down the right path to understanding and living with win 7.
Should I have failed to clearly define my head-aching conundrum please
ask and I will attempt to state or restate what ever I can to achieve
regaining my mental health

I thought about removing the second hard drive after all this,
installing and updating and moving the data files over, BUT I haven't
tried to test that theory yet in the fears win 7 will once again be
totally bonkers and nothing will work like it did just before that
maneuver.

I'm tapped out, I hope to be reading something later, but I'm all done
in for now!!!

thanks!

---

Old December 16th 13, 01:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

hp wrote:
[...]

protection is active.

The first thing to check, is look in Disk Management, for the
labeling of the partitions.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/sf7wo4.jpg

Active - is the partition with the boot flag (0x80) in the MBR
System - is the partition containing the boot files
Boot - is the partition containing the OS system files

On Windows 7, on a "single partition install", the same
partition can be all three of those things at the same time.
They don't have to stay separated.

Page file would normally be on the OS partition. A user
can change that, but by default, it would be on the OS partition.
Sometimes, if the same OS is present during an install, or if
you boot with a clone copy present, the page file from the
wrong partition is detected, that partition becomes C:,
the real OS partition becomes E:, and things are pretty
broken.

*******

You say you had all other disks disconnected when installing
the Windows 7, and that's the best option to avoid problems.
If you have booted at least once with the Windows 7 set up
that way, it should be "immune" to the effects of other
disks getting connected later.

*******

In the Windows 7 group, we've seen something weird, and
there was no explanation so far. It seems, if you
install some kind of OS upgrade, and an existing OS is
present, you end up with a $UpgDrv$ at the top
level of a partition, as well as some shortcuts
for drive letters. The theory is, this is a means
for the new installation, to keep track of drive
letters while the upgrade installation is happening.
While I don't think those drive letter shortcuts
hurt anything, that's about the only remapping
I know of.

The file system has a few features.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_reparse_point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point

"Junction points can only link to
directories on a local volume"

"However it is possible to redirect non-critical folders:

* \Users
* \Documents and Settings
* \Program Files
* \Program Files (x86)
"

*******

There is a way for the OS to look for Program Files
in a different place, such as on another partition.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120211...fferent-drive/

ProgramFilesDir

Another page with similar information. Now, what that
does, is have the system search in that location, when
installing things. Like, move program installation
off C:.

http://www.intowindows.com/change-de.../#comment-6339

But that shouldn't cause an attempt to delete a file
on one partition, and have it disappear from another
partition.

*******

Yours sounds more like the reparse concept somehow ?
Or maybe that drive letter shortcut thing ?

Maybe you can dig up one of those utilities
that can list junction points ?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896768

Or try this one (from the Wikipedia articles)

"get... a list of all the junctions present on a
disk volume, by executing "dir /aL /s C:\",
where "C:" is the volume to scan.

Note - the command syntax in the last one, doesn't
work in WinXP, because WinXP doesn't have the L
attribute option. I expect that command is
for Vista/Win7/Win8 family. I'd test that, but
my Win7 VM needs maintenance, which has been wasting
the last little while here :-)

Paul
Old December 16th 13, 07:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
hp

On 12/15/2013 8:05 PM, Paul wrote:

dir /aL /s C:\

I gave this a try C:\dir /aL /s C:\ e:\dirt.txt

And it worked, I got a text file to read

it follows

Volume in drive C is ROOT
Volume Serial Number is C2AE-524F

Directory of c:\

07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Documents and Settings [C:\Users]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\ProgramData

07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Application Data [C:\ProgramData]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Desktop [C:\Users\Public\Desktop]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Documents [C:\Users\Public\Documents]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Favorites [C:\Users\Public\Favorites]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Start Menu
[C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Templates
[C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Users

07/14/2009 12:08 AM SYMLINKD All Users [C:\ProgramData]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Default User [C:\Users\Default]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Users\All Users

07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Application Data [C:\ProgramData]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Desktop [C:\Users\Public\Desktop]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Documents [C:\Users\Public\Documents]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Favorites [C:\Users\Public\Favorites]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Start Menu
[C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Templates
[C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Users\Da Wiz

12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION Application Data [C:\Users\Da
Wiz\AppData\Roaming]
12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION Cookies [C:\Users\Da
Wiz\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies]
12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION Local Settings [C:\Users\Da
Wiz\AppData\Local]
12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION My Documents [C:\Users\Da
Wiz\Documents]
12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION NetHood [C:\Users\Da
Wiz\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts]
12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION PrintHood [C:\Users\Da
Wiz\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts]
12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION Recent [C:\Users\Da
Wiz\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent]
12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION SendTo [C:\Users\Da
Wiz\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo]
12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION Start Menu [C:\Users\Da
Wiz\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu]
12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION Templates [C:\Users\Da
Wiz\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Users\Da Wiz\AppData\Local

12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION Application Data [C:\Users\Da
Wiz\AppData\Local]
12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION History [C:\Users\Da
Wiz\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History]
12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION Temporary Internet Files
[C:\Users\Da Wiz\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Users\Da Wiz\Documents

12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION My Music [C:\Users\Da Wiz\Music]
12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION My Pictures [C:\Users\Da
Wiz\Pictures]
12/14/2013 01:54 PM JUNCTION My Videos [C:\Users\Da Wiz\Videos]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Users\Default

07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Application Data
[C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Cookies
[C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows \Cookies]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Local Settings
[C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION My Documents
[C:\Users\Default\Documents]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION NetHood
[C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows \Network Shortcuts]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION PrintHood
[C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows \Printer Shortcuts]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Recent
[C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows \Recent]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION SendTo
[C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows \SendTo]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Start Menu
[C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows \Start Menu]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Templates
[C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows \Templates]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Users\Default\AppData\Local

07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Application Data
[C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION History
[C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\H istory]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Temporary Internet Files
[C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\T emporary Internet Files]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Users\Default\Documents

07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION My Music [C:\Users\Default\Music]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION My Pictures
[C:\Users\Default\Pictures]
07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION My Videos [C:\Users\Default\Videos]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Users\UpdatusUser

12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION Application Data
[C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Roaming]
12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION Cookies
[C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Win dows\Cookies]
12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION Local Settings
[C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Local]
12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION My Documents
[C:\Users\UpdatusUser\Documents]
12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION NetHood
[C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Win dows\Network Shortcuts]
12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION PrintHood
[C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Win dows\Printer Shortcuts]
12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION Recent
[C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Win dows\Recent]
12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION SendTo
[C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Win dows\SendTo]
12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION Start Menu
[C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Win dows\Start Menu]
12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION Templates
[C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Win dows\Templates]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Local

12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION Application Data
[C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Local]
12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION History
[C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windo ws\History]
12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION Temporary Internet Files
[C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windo ws\Temporary Internet
Files]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Users\UpdatusUser\Documents

12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION My Music [C:\Users\UpdatusUser\Music]
12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION My Pictures
[C:\Users\UpdatusUser\Pictures]
12/14/2013 08:19 PM JUNCTION My Videos
[C:\Users\UpdatusUser\Videos]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Windows.old

07/14/2009 12:08 AM JUNCTION Documents and Settings
[C:\Windows.old\Users]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Windows.old\Documents and Settings

07/14/2009 12:08 AM SYMLINKD All Users
[C:\Windows.old\ProgramData]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Windows.old\Documents and Settings\Da Wiz

12/11/2013 10:34 PM JUNCTION Application Data
[C:\Windows.old\Users\Da Wiz\AppData\Roaming]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Windows.old\Users

07/14/2009 12:08 AM SYMLINKD All Users
[C:\Windows.old\ProgramData]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of c:\Windows.old\Users\Da Wiz

12/11/2013 10:34 PM JUNCTION Application Data
[C:\Windows.old\Users\Da Wiz\AppData\Roaming]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Total Files Listed:
0 File(s) 0 bytes
68 Dir(s) 64,693,145,600 bytes free

It seems that I have at least 3 folders that are listed as "SYMLINKD"

This is something that happened without any human interaction on my
part during the last re-install.

The references to 'Windows.old' is the dregs of the last re-install
that moved the bonkers win 7 to Windows.old as the re-install process
made a working win 7 again.

---

Old December 16th 13, 07:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
hp

Default HALPPPP! erpp that didnt work so well

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896768

Or try this one (from the Wikipedia articles)

"get... a list of all the junctions present on a
disk volume, by executing "dir /aL /s C:\",
where "C:" is the volume to scan.

Note - the command syntax in the last one, doesn't
work in WinXP, because WinXP doesn't have the L
attribute option. I expect that command is
for Vista/Win7/Win8 family. I'd test that, but
my Win7 VM needs maintenance, which has been wasting
the last little while here :-)

Paul

Ok lets have a whack at this again

Old December 17th 13, 12:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

hp wrote:

[...]

I was hoping for a simple solution, showing references to
G: when working on C:. I don't see anything there to
explain it. *Something* on the computer, is tying those
together.

Paul
Old December 17th 13, 02:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
hp

On 12/16/2013 7:44 PM, Paul wrote:
hp wrote:

[...]

snip

It seems that I have at least 3 folders that are listed as "SYMLINKD"

This is something that happened without any human interaction on my
part during the last re-install.

The references to 'Windows.old' is the dregs of the last re-install
that moved the bonkers win 7 to Windows.old as the re-install process
made a working win 7 again.

I was hoping for a simple solution, showing references to
G: when working on C:. I don't see anything there to
explain it. *Something* on the computer, is tying those
together.

Paul

You AND me both Chief :-)

I wasn't ready to tackle a puzzle this deep. I re-tested a file today,
even after being OFF all night, I can replicate the results :-(

More digging and learning ahead, Oh For The Days When This was Simpler!!

---

Old December 24th 13, 07:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
hp

hp wrote:

[...]

Well, this chapped my tukus long enough that I decided to chuck it
and start over with XP X64 again.
Only to run into some roadblocks also.

Eventually I totally wiped the HD, ONLY created a single partition
on part of it then installed and updated, and installed and updated my
softy. THEN I made the second partition on the HD.
THEN added the other drives to the PC.
THEN reset the Bios for the boot drive and so far after messing with
re-arranging files and folders and monitoring the configuration for 48
hours, it seems to be stable.

Thats the only Idea I had about what might have contributed to the
problems I was having, somehow maybe having 2 active partitions
at the time of install might have caused some form of internal
confusion with the installing and updating etc that threw the drive
assignments and status's out of whack.