I have a ???

Old March 13th 13, 09:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
hp

Default I have a ???

Home built PC, Been working ok for several years, but recently -

I have noticed that it doesn't like to power the external
hard-drives like it used to, I plug them in, the idiot light
illuminates but nothing else happens.

It looses track of having a Cd drive, Or the DVD drive, or both
every now and then now.

AM I starting to see the end of the motherboards life?

foxconn M61PMV
Windows XP x64
Amd x2 250

3 months ago I went thru a complete re-install of everything
software and hardware, every thing re-seated

The opticals are on the IDE buss,
everything else is SATA,
the externals are only hooked up one at a time,
(recycled older 2.5 drives)
THEY ARE usable on another computer
so they seem to still be functional.

I HAVE tried the front USB ports as well as the backplane USB
ports. The Front USB ports seem to work fine when using flash
(thumb) drives
Old March 13th 13, 10:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 17:55:51 -0400, hp wrote:

Home built PC, Been working ok for several years, but recently -

I'd also want to test those drives on another system before condemning
the MB solely. A PCI controller could be in order, but I've had some
badassed experiences with a failing MB, not something to wish on
anyone, especially if power issues are present. Point being, a
suitably socketed MB replacement may be the least expensive way to
approach that scenario, when said controllers, these days, could be a
dubious operational proposal beside costs often approaching perfectly
acceptable budget MBs. Good things of course to consider along the
line of all immortal CPUs that treat you right.

(I might also do myself a favor and buy a MSI/Gigabyte if available
and well rated for a few bucks over such as Foxcon (never owned one
and not in rush, especially, to do so). Preferably with solid state
caps, often more prevalent, these days, even for budget boards w/ a
favorable approach to QC marketing.)
Old March 14th 13, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

hp wrote:
[...]

A power supply problem ? Use the hardware monitor to check things
like +5V and +5VSB. It's preferable to use a multimeter set to the
volts range for that though. The multimeter does a better job.
Many hardware monitors, the software doesn't read out the values
properly.

Either that, or a regulated voltage (motherboard regulator)
powering the Southbridge, is out of adjustment or on the low side.

I think a power supply problem is more likely.

Paul

Old March 14th 13, 03:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 13/03/2013 5:55 PM, hp wrote:
Home built PC, Been working ok for several years, but recently -

I have noticed that it doesn't like to power the external
hard-drives like it used to, I plug them in, the idiot light
illuminates but nothing else happens.

It looses track of having a Cd drive, Or the DVD drive, or both
every now and then now.

AM I starting to see the end of the motherboards life?

No, sounds like your PSU is weakening. Input your requirements into this
site and it'll give you a good idea about how much you really should need.

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Yousuf Khan
Old March 20th 13, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DC[_4_]

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 17:55:51 -0400, hp wrote:

Home built PC, Been working ok for several years, but recently -

I have noticed that it doesn't like to power the external
hard-drives like it used to, I plug them in, the idiot light
illuminates but nothing else happens.

It looses track of having a Cd drive, Or the DVD drive, or both
every now and then now.

Loses, not Looses.

Better * it does not see, or find*