Best deal on an SSD drive

Old July 3rd 12, 12:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Default Best deal on an SSD drive

I found a good one that Newegg has for less than Amazon. Not sure
if it's the fastest, but it's probably the most reliable end-user
type. And after my first/last experience with an SSD drive, I
wanted reliable. Don't really need 120 GB, but the price was right
for this Intel 520 Series SSD drive. It's $155 (shipped USA). The
60 GB version lowest price is $105.

Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW120A310 2.5" 120GB SATA III
MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM

--
Of course, feel free to post about other deals.
Old July 3rd 12, 04:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

John Doe wrote:
I found a good one that Newegg has for less than Amazon. Not sure
if it's the fastest, but it's probably the most reliable end-user
type. And after my first/last experience with an SSD drive, I
wanted reliable. Don't really need 120 GB, but the price was right
for this Intel 520 Series SSD drive. It's $155 (shipped USA). The
60 GB version lowest price is $105.

Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW120A310 2.5" 120GB SATA III
MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM

You can still find drives with SLC flash in them, but they're not cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology...ywords=slc+ssd

That one is also EOL, but it lists a 3 year warranty.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ver...i-2-5-ssd.html

Intel makes some "consumer" versions with SLC, but the capacity is
too small to be practical. Even if you bought four of the Intel SLC
ones and ran them in RAID, it still might not be practical.

SLC buys more wear life.

Paul
Old July 4th 12, 04:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Paul nospam needed.com wrote:

You can still find drives with SLC flash in them, but they're not cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology...ywords=slc+ssd

It costs $6000, but at least it qualifies for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

You can also buy 4 GB quad SLI ready video cards, for about $1500
(US) each. Imagine, your video cards costing $6000 and running on
your quad SLI motherboard.
Old July 4th 12, 05:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

FWIW... That wasn't a mistake, Newegg bumped up the price five
dollars right after I ordered it.
Old July 5th 12, 12:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
hp

On 7/3/2012 7:28 AM, John Doe wrote:
I found a good one that Newegg has for less than Amazon. Not sure
if it's the fastest, but it's probably the most reliable end-user
type. And after my first/last experience with an SSD drive, I
wanted reliable. Don't really need 120 GB, but the price was right
for this Intel 520 Series SSD drive. It's $155 (shipped USA). The
60 GB version lowest price is $105.

Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW120A310 2.5" 120GB SATA III
MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM

Check Fry's, I DO Not Know IF they mail order, BUT they are advertizing
in the local paper a SATAIII sandisk 240giggle for $180, thats .75
*seventyfive cents) per giggle

Old July 6th 12, 08:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Red Cloud

On Jul 4, 4:17*pm, hp wrote:
On 7/3/2012 7:28 AM, John Doe wrote:

I found a good one that Newegg has for less than Amazon. Not sure
if it's the fastest, but it's probably the most reliable end-user
type. And after my first/last experience with an SSD drive, I
wanted reliable. Don't really need 120 GB, but the price was right
for this Intel 520 Series SSD drive. It's $155 (shipped USA). The
60 GB version lowest price is $105.

Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW120A310 2.5" 120GB SATA III
MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM

Check Fry's, I DO Not Know IF they mail order, BUT they are advertizing
in the local paper a SATAIII sandisk 240giggle for $180, thats .75
*seventyfive cents) per giggle

That's cheap SSD drive cuz it's made in China again.

Pay over $600 if it made in USA!
Old July 6th 12, 10:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Red Cloud wrote:
On Jul 4, 4:17 pm, hp wrote:
On 7/3/2012 7:28 AM, John Doe wrote:

I found a good one that Newegg has for less than Amazon. Not sure
if it's the fastest, but it's probably the most reliable end-user
type. And after my first/last experience with an SSD drive, I
wanted reliable. Don't really need 120 GB, but the price was right
for this Intel 520 Series SSD drive. It's $155 (shipped USA). The
60 GB version lowest price is $105.
Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW120A310 2.5" 120GB SATA III
MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM

Check Fry's, I DO Not Know IF they mail order, BUT they are advertizing
in the local paper a SATAIII sandisk 240giggle for $180, thats .75
*seventyfive cents) per giggle

That's cheap SSD drive cuz it's made in China again.

Pay over $600 if it made in USA!

Reviews on Newegg don't indicate a problem.

And Fry's only wants $179 for it.

http://www.frys.com/product/6989047?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/457...w/index12.html

"Feb 28, 2012

At the time of writing the SanDisk Extreme is the lowest priced SF-2281 240GB drive
at Newegg with good flash, i.e. NOT asynchronous IMFT flash."

The flash chips are Sandisk/Toshiba made, a joint partnership
on one fab. I suppose in a way, it's Sandisk committing to buying
a certain quantity of chips (as the fabs are expensive to build).

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/...mory-plant.jpg

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...nvestment.html

HTH,
Paul