CPU temperature high, help!

Old September 18th 03, 08:54 PM
Vedran Dracic

Default CPU temperature high, help!

Hello!

I need a good advice, because I don't know what to do. I have Celeron 2,5
GHz on Asus P4PE-X motherboard and I use Asus Probe to measure CPU
temperature. First I put Intel cooler, which came in the box with the CPU.
The temperature was even then a bit high, about 41-42°C when idle and about
55-56 under load. The problem with this cooler was that as the temperature
was growing higher, the CPU fan speed was also increasing (at least that was
what Asus Probe was showing) and it had some pretty irritating noise, not
really loud, but had some pretty high pitch which could be heard even from
the other rooms. I couldn't stand it, so I went to replace the cooler with
Glacialtech Igloo 4200. I didn't use any paste, I put it with its preapplied
thermal compound. It was significantly quieter, but the temperature was
higher, it was getting significantly over 60°C, I remember once, and I don't
know why it happened, as on-line installation of Quicktime plug-in was in
progress, in less than 15 minutes the temperature rised from 44 to 65! And I
had to stop the installation, as it didn't seem to stop.
As a test I often use DScaler, a software for TV tuner cards. These highest
temperatures were measured when DScaler was running.
Finally, I decided to remove the thermal compound and put silver grease
paste. After that, the temperature was a couple of degrees lower, but not
too much lower.
I'm not sure what I should do now.
I know that Celeron temperatures shouldn't be this high, I read somewhere
that the normal CPU temperature shouldn't be above 45°C under full load.
Should I put two fans in the case to make the airflow better, will that make
the temperature lower? But then I'm afraid that everything will become too
much noisier.
Or should I buy a high quality and expensive cooler like Zalman? Wouldn't it
be a bit too much for a CPU like Celeron - which I never overclock and don't
play games too often?
I'll appreciate any advice, because I really have no idea what would be a
good and permanent solution, so that I don't even need to watch any CPU
monitor.

Old September 18th 03, 09:13 PM
Joseph

make sure you have plenty of venilation to your case. you should ideally
have one or two intake from front of your case blowing in and one or two
blowing out in the back. Have a better fan over your heatsink with high
cfm. Like smart case fan II by thermaltake. Very good cfm and not too
loud. Use a good thermal grease like actic silver 3 or even artic
ceramique.

Old September 20th 03, 01:42 AM
Dave Hull

What is the ambient temperature inside and outside of the case. What is
your cooling setup.

Dave