Thuban compatibility with AM2+ Motherboards

Old April 29th 10, 07:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
AGross

Default Thuban compatibility with AM2+ Motherboards

I would like to ask subscribers to report in this thread links to
attempts to use AMD Phenom X6 (Thuban Core) in AM2+ motherboards with
the following chipsets: 790FX + SB600, 790FX + SB750 and 790GX +
SB750.

Are there any AMD people here who can provide insight into real
backwards compatibility to AM2+.

I need to know if I can upgrade 20+ AM2+ motherboards from various
Athlon II / Phenom II to Thubans. So far, the motherboard makers have
been silent. I am kinda stuck with high-end AM2+ motherboards with
loads of ECC DDR2 and it would be golden if I could upgrade all these
to six cores. I am not interested in TurboCore feature so if that only
works with newer 890* chipsets it is not a loss at all.
Old April 29th 10, 07:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
AGross

I just looked he
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AM...BGRBOX%29.html
and I don't know if they got it wrong or these new chipsets lack the
DDR2 controller.

On the other hand, AMD's own Key Arch Features for the Phenom II line
lists support for both DDR2 and DDR3:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...-features.aspx

Is it true that they only work with DDR3? :/
Old April 29th 10, 04:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 23:53:52 -0700, AGross wrote:

I just looked he
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AM...1090T%20Black%

20Edition%20-%20HDT90ZFBK6DGR%20%28HDT90ZFBGRBOX%29.html
and I don't know if they got it wrong or these new chipsets lack the
DDR2 controller.

They got it wrong and have now corrected it showing support for both.

On the other hand, AMD's own Key Arch Features for the Phenom II line
lists support for both DDR2 and DDR3:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...enom-ii/Pages/

phenom-ii-key-architectural-features.aspx

Is it true that they only work with DDR3? :/

No. I would think the only concern would be the wattage supported by your
MB's. The X6 is 125W, while many MB's only officially support 95W or less.

Old April 29th 10, 06:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
AGross

They got it wrong and have now corrected it showing support for both.

Thanks for your reply.

No. I would think the only concern would be the wattage supported by your
MB's. The X6 is 125W, while many MB's only officially support 95W or less.

Oh, no worries there. It ran 125W X2 6000+ then a 125W Phenom X4.

Well, I sent an email to Gigabyte and maybe they'll sort this out.
Old April 30th 10, 02:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old May 1st 10, 04:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
AGross

Sadly, the flagship AM2+ motherboard from Gigabyte ( the DQ6 with 790FX
+SB600) is listed as NOT SUPPORTED.

It seems all motherboards with SB600 are plagued by this...

I guess upgrades will have to be limited to quad core Phenom variants :
(

So much for backwards compatibility...
Old May 1st 10, 07:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Sat, 01 May 2010 08:24:23 -0700, AGross wrote:

Sadly, the flagship AM2+ motherboard from Gigabyte ( the DQ6 with 790FX
+SB600) is listed as NOT SUPPORTED.

It seems all motherboards with SB600 are plagued by this...

I guess upgrades will have to be limited to quad core Phenom variants :

It may still work, but just be limited in some way. Same as with early
versions of the K7 Athlon socket A (462). All newer K7 CPU's would work
in them even though they weren't officially supported. Here's what I got
with an Athlon XP 2100+ (rated at 1733MHz) in my old KT133 MB not rated
for XP's using a 24x multiplier.

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : Unknown CPU Type
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 2400.188
cache size : 256 KB

Old May 2nd 10, 06:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
AGross

Well, I'll give it a try anyway.
The thing is I need to put it into multiple systems that are acting as
a ' poor man's cluster ' and I value stability.
As soon as I get my hands on an X6 I'll test it in the AM2+
motherboards I have and post results.

Still, this is a disappointment. I was expecting more from a 220E
motherboard.
Old May 2nd 10, 08:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old May 12th 10, 11:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
AGross

Well, I got one and tested it and it doesn't work with SB600-based
AM2+ motherboards. I tried 3 mobos ( 2 Gigabyte + 1 ASUS) and it won't
POST with a X6...

As a rule of thumb, users with AM2+/SB600 should limit themselves to
X4 Phenom II CPUs or switch to a AM3 motherboard or AM2+ with SB700 or
better.

Good Thuban Availabilty AGross AMD x86-64 Processors 0 April 28th 10 08:50 AM
ram compatibility? sohn Gateway Computers 4 April 21st 08 06:36 AM
Silverstone TJ-06 case and nForce 4 Socket 939 motherboards compatibility leadfoot Overclocking AMD Processors 5 September 8th 05 03:32 AM
CPU Compatibility Bill Intel 4 July 1st 05 07:49 AM
any compatibility problems with radeon and amd / tyan motherboards ? rabid Ati Videocards 1 November 14th 03 02:17 PM