GA-8IPE1000 Pro3 / CPU temperatures

Old May 15th 05, 07:33 AM
DevilsPGD

Default GA-8IPE1000 Pro3 / CPU temperatures

I have a GA-8IPE1000 Pro3 with a P4 2.8GHz (can provide more details if
needed)

I recently grabbed a copy of SpeedFan to monitor my system's
temperatures to help me position the fans in a new case.

FWIW, my goal is to go positive pressure for the entire case and filter
the air intake to reduce cat hair and dust from entering the system.

I also installed GMT (Gigabyte Management Tools). GMT only reports one
temp sensor, and is currently reporting that temp sensor is 24C*

Unfortunately GMT can't warn me if my temperatures go out of range
unless it's open, whereas SpeedFan installs a service and can threaten.

SpeedFan reports 3 fans, two stick at 25C, and one is 24C (and follows
what GMT reports).

Any idea what the other 2 sensors represent? Would there be a chipset
fan or an external fan connector or anything like that? Or are they
garbage values?

*Yes 24C does seem low, especially since it's 23C in the room right now (although I did open some windows so it should cool down soon). I realize that these numbers won't be accurate, but I'll grab a real thermometer when the budget allows. Until then, they mobo's reports will have to do.

My old case would show 35C-45C, this case it's typically 29C-44C
(depending on load). I installed a new CPU fan to replace my old
failing one, and now I'm getting reports of 23C-27C when idle, and still
up to 40C-44C when under load.

--
Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts
have no place in organized religion.
Old May 15th 05, 01:25 PM
Steve Sweet

Hi "DevilsPGD"

I have a GA-8IPE1000 Pro3 with a P4 2.8GHz (can provide more details if
needed)

I recently grabbed a copy of SpeedFan to monitor my system's
temperatures to help me position the fans in a new case.

FWIW, my goal is to go positive pressure for the entire case and filter
the air intake to reduce cat hair and dust from entering the system.

I also installed GMT (Gigabyte Management Tools). GMT only reports one
temp sensor, and is currently reporting that temp sensor is 24C*

Unfortunately GMT can't warn me if my temperatures go out of range
unless it's open, whereas SpeedFan installs a service and can threaten.

SpeedFan reports 3 fans, two stick at 25C, and one is 24C (and follows
what GMT reports).

I have a Pro 2 board, i also have those ghost sensors that sit at thoses
temperatures whatever the rest of the system reports but i do also have the
CPU sensor and my Hard drives reporting correctly, maybe my speedfan config
file will help you?

--

(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
«.·°·. Steve .·°·.»

Old May 15th 05, 09:14 PM
DevilsPGD

In message "Steve
Sweet" wrote:

Hi "DevilsPGD"

[...]

My CPU sensor and hard drives appear to be correct (or at least the hard
drive ones do, I have three drives at the moment and they're temperature
reports coincide with the amount of physical heat coming from the
drives. If I do something disk intensive, the drives heat up a couple
degrees -- Nothing significant, but enough to confirm that the readings
are correct)

I'm curious about the ghost readings though, it seems odd to design a
BIOS that has extra temperature readings and not place sensors on the
motherboard.

I've also wondered about the INFO_LINK connector, I can't find any
documentation as to what it does -- Maybe an OEM can connect additional
sensors which are built into the case?

I'm still curious about the CPU reading too, which shows up as TEMP3 in
CpuSpeed, it's reporting temperatures as low as 24C, which seems too
low. However, when I reached in and touched the heatsink, it feels cool
to the touch.

I killed my CPU fan and ran the CPU at 100%, the temperature got up to
45C or so before I stopped my experiment and the heatsink got noticeably
warmer -- I would guess closer to 30-35C then 40C. So although 24C idle
temperature seems too low, I don't think it's too too far off either.

--
It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.
Old May 17th 05, 08:49 PM
Steve Sweet

Hi again

"DevilsPGD"

[...]

It does seem a bit daft but that's easy to say without further info. My
processor is currently sitting at 58 degrees with just Trillian, Outlook,
Outlook express and my browser running.

--

(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
«.·°·. Steve .·°·.»

Old May 17th 05, 11:39 PM
DevilsPGD

In message "Steve
Sweet" wrote:

It does seem a bit daft but that's easy to say without further info. My
processor is currently sitting at 58 degrees with just Trillian, Outlook,
Outlook express and my browser running.

58(C?) sounds high for an idle temp...

--
Can I get a w00t w00t?

Temperatures [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 4 February 13th 05 07:43 PM
Abit AI7-G with 3.0 GHz Prescott - high temperatures! RMC Overclocking 13 September 1st 04 06:00 AM
CPU Temperatures Robert Willis Intel 2 April 6th 04 12:39 AM
Athlon XP 2400+ Socket "A" CPU temperatures on MSI KM2M Motherboard. ML Overclocking AMD Processors 11 February 11th 04 04:59 PM
Athlon Barton 2800 Temperatures HPLeft Overclocking AMD Processors 4 February 1st 04 07:57 PM