barton+5600 overclock works but not barton+9700 pro

Old March 7th 05, 10:02 PM
Terry Wagner

Default barton+5600 overclock works but not barton+9700 pro

I overclocked my barton 2500+ with an msi geforce 5600 ultra card by
increasing the fsb from 166 to 200 MHz. After a few months, the vid card
gave up and I put in a radeon 9700 pro aiw and now I can't increase the fsb
without windows (xp) locking up. The motherboard is an msi K7N2. I have
512 megs dual channel DDR ram. Is this just a problem particular to my
combination of hardware or is there something I can do with the video card
that'll make it more accepting of the higher fsb?
I haven't touched the voltage settings or ram settings in either of the
above setups, so they're probably running at factory defaults. I can
re-post with more info if needed. Thanks for any help!

Terry

Old March 7th 05, 11:58 PM
John

Somewhere on your motherboard may be a jumper to change the AGD
interface speed. When you bump up the bus speed, you are also bumping
up everything else, ir pci & agp
Check mobo manual .. slow down the interface speed for AGP & will
probably work
You wont notice any drop in graphics processing, because u slow down
interface but then the overclock bus bringa agp back to what it is
when running standard

Old March 8th 05, 01:34 AM
Augustus

"Terry Wagner" wrote in message
ink.net...
I overclocked my barton 2500+ with an msi geforce 5600 ultra card by
increasing the fsb from 166 to 200 MHz. After a few months, the vid card
gave up and I put in a radeon 9700 pro aiw and now I can't increase the
fsb
without windows (xp) locking up. The motherboard is an msi K7N2. I have
512 megs dual channel DDR ram. Is this just a problem particular to my
combination of hardware or is there something I can do with the video card
that'll make it more accepting of the higher fsb?
I haven't touched the voltage settings or ram settings in either of
the
above setups, so they're probably running at factory defaults. I can
re-post with more info if needed. Thanks for any help!

When switching from an Nvidia card to an ATI one, you must do more than just
use the add/remove applet to get rid of the old drivers. It can be a source
of instability and poor performance. Can't guarantee that it's your main
problem, but it's the #1 suspect. You need to do a complete Nvidia video
driver registry scourge as well manually locating and deleting the still
present Nvidia dll's and other files. Be careful not to delete the Nforce2
drivers. There's multiple web links on how to do this.