Real world running costs?

Old April 26th 04, 09:52 PM
BenOne©

Default Real world running costs?

Hi all,

I've got an old Epson Photo 700 that I am thinking of replacing, either with the
latest Epson or Canon, or just getting my prints done at a shop. I don't print
many photos so evaporation and consumption during turn may be factors to consider.

Can anyone point me to websites or relay their own experience with the running
cost of a decent photo printer?

It would be much appreciated.

--
Ben Thomas

Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the speed
limit.
Old April 27th 04, 02:07 AM
jbuch

BenOne© wrote:

Hi all,

I've got an old Epson Photo 700 that I am thinking of replacing, either
with the latest Epson or Canon, or just getting my prints done at a
shop. I don't print many photos so evaporation and consumption during
turn may be factors to consider.

Can anyone point me to websites or relay their own experience with the
running cost of a decent photo printer?

It would be much appreciated.

Numerous times it has been pointed out that there is a Fuji photo print
machine in places like Sam's, Price Club, Walgreen's Drugs.... that does
4X6 inch prints for $0.29 and if you do 50 prints you can often get them
for $0.20 each -- not 50 of one but a total of 50 prints which may be
all different.

You take them in on a CD-R or a camera type memory card.

Some argue that there is no way to print at home for these prices, some
argue differently.

You can Photoshop these at home for the fun of it before you take them
into the store.

You can modify the digital images a little in the store, but you are
charged extra for doing this and tying up the machine while you do it.

I ran of a set of 55 prints from a small vacation trip for $11.00 and
had fixed them up on my PC before I took them in. The results were
pretty faithful to what I had wanted.

I am sure that some people will disagree with the opinions expressed in
this note.

Jim

Keepsake gift for young girls.
Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
Builds strong minds 12 ways.
Guaranteed satisfaction
- courteous money back
- keep bonus gifts

http://www.alicebook.com

Old April 27th 04, 04:17 AM
Information

At Costco, I had them print a 12 x 18 inch for a total cost of $3.23 which
is tax included.

Hard to justify that cost for that size printing at home in my humble
opinion. I think they (Costco) did a wonderful job

Will not tell you how much the frame cost lolololol

"jbuch" wrote in message
: BenOne© wrote:
:
: Hi all,
:
[...]
: --
: ...............................
:
:

Old April 27th 04, 04:19 AM
Ray R

"BenOne©" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've got an old Epson Photo 700 that I am thinking of replacing, either with

the
latest Epson or Canon, or just getting my prints done at a shop. I don't print
many photos so evaporation and consumption during turn may be factors to

consider.

Can anyone point me to websites or relay their own experience with the running
cost of a decent photo printer?

It would be much appreciated.

--
Ben Thomas

Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the

speed
limit.

I have a Canon i850. With refilling my ink costs about $.02 per 8.5 x 11
inch print. I recently bought Konica Premium photo paper for $.15 per
8.5 x 11 sheet. A 8.5 x 11 photo costs me $.17. 4x6 is a poor aspect
ratio for digital cameras. It is a holdover from 35mm (actually 24 x 36 mm)
film. 4.25 x 5.5 requires much less cropping giving 4 prints per page
or less than a nickle each with (IMHO) much better color than inexpensive
chemical prints. I have not amortized the cost of the printer because I
would still own one even if I didn't print photos. Fry's has refurbished
Canon i950 printer for $99.95. YMMV

Old April 27th 04, 04:54 PM
Povl H. Pedersen

In article Sgkjc.275$A27.115@fed1read06, Ray R wrote:
I have a Canon i850. With refilling my ink costs about $.02 per 8.5 x 11
inch print. I recently bought Konica Premium photo paper for $.15 per
8.5 x 11 sheet. A 8.5 x 11 photo costs me $.17. 4x6 is a poor aspect
ratio for digital cameras. It is a holdover from 35mm (actually 24 x 36 mm)
film.

What do you mean ? The 4:3 ratio of many consumer cameras is a leftover
from the time when monitors were 640x480. Today where monitors is
going widescreen, 4:3 is a leftover for a brief period in history before
everybody forgets about it.

Good cameras, including DSLRs supports the much more pleasing 2:3
format that you considers a holdover.

4.25 x 5.5 requires much less cropping giving 4 prints per page
or less than a nickle each with (IMHO) much better color than inexpensive
chemical prints. I have not amortized the cost of the printer because I
would still own one even if I didn't print photos. Fry's has refurbished
Canon i950 printer for $99.95. YMMV

The lab prints are better than home made, fades slower, and are more durable.
Old April 28th 04, 05:27 AM
Ron Cohen

The cost figures you quote for the i850 are right on target if using a Canon
printer and getting the paper at a good price. Actually my costs are a
little bit less since I got a huge bargain (due to a pricing glitch by
Office Depot) on photo paper. Based on my refill ink purchase cost, I've
calculated that it costs me about 1.2¢ per 8.5 x 11 sheet for ink. I have a
Canon s820 and i950 and the costs are the same for either printer. I highly
recommend Canon printers, especially for the original poster who said he
doesn't print that much. Canons don't have the problems of head clogging
from dried ink if the printer is not used on a routine basis. However, the
costs aren't as competitive when a user chooses not to refill and/or buys
expensive paper. In that case it may be less expensive to go the Fugi
Frontier route.
--
Ron Cohen

"Ray R" wrote in message news:Sgkjc.275$A27.115@fed1read06...

"BenOne©" wrote in message
[...]

---
AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Old April 30th 04, 12:37 AM
Tom Monego

In article qhkjc.2371$6L3.1247@fed1read05, says...

[...]

Just did some vacation pics, wanted long and short lenes so I brought my 35mm
Canon. Anyway the pics from my Nikon 995 look way better than the film pics. A
little Photoshop goes a long way. Don't know why a lot of folks here swear by
store photos printed by some kid. Even dye printers should give (with the right
paper) comparible life to chemical photopapers. If you can't get good prints
then you are not doing something right. An Epson 2200 at $600 or so will give
you prints than last up to 100 years. The new long lasting photo papers have
been down graded to 30 years for Kodak and 30-40 years for Fuji CA, and that
is assuming good chemical control.

Tom

Old April 30th 04, 02:14 AM
Information

Tom,

The 12 x 18 image I had COSTCO do was from a digital file. Originally, I
had taken the shot with a film camera and I scanned the image using a film
scanner. I managed the image in photoshop, ( very little adjustment other
then some cropping) and then off to Costco with their wet chemical
process.

If you factor the cost of a wider format printer and the cost of paper and
inks, hard to beat the price. The learning curve for printing is another
factor. I am currently however, printing on a 8.5 x 11.