If you add an old HDD as your "D:" drive and it goes bad, what happens?

Old July 12th 16, 07:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default If you add an old HDD as your "D:" drive and it goes bad, what happens?

Like the title says, if I add on a fairly modern 2010 Mobo a mechanical HDD and it goes bad, will the main (bootable) "C" drive continue to work? I hope so, since the SATA drive I'm adding as the "D" drive is really old, and I intend to use it for backups only. But if it goes bad I hope the C: drive will boot. I think it will. Of course I'm not doing something crazy like making a RAID0 system.

RL
Old July 12th 16, 07:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

On 12 Jul 2016, RayLopez99 wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Like the title says, if I add on a fairly modern 2010 Mobo a
mechanical HDD and it goes bad, will the main (bootable) "C" drive
continue to work?

Assuming you're talking about MS Windows, and you haven't manually
redirected any system stuff to non-standard locations on the D drive,
yes, the C drive should work just fine.
Old July 12th 16, 11:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 23:59:16 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
wrote:

Like the title says, if I add on a fairly modern 2010 Mobo a
mechanical HDD and it goes bad, will the main (bootable) "C" drive
continue to work? I hope so, since the SATA drive I'm adding as the
"D" drive is really old, and I intend to use it for backups only. But
if it goes bad I hope the C: drive will boot. I think it will. Of
course I'm not doing something crazy like making a RAID0 system.

RL

That's essentially the nature of modularity and computer components,
as a whole. If one doesn't work then it's a modular reaction with the
weakest commonality, to derive for, undesirable effects. So, yes,
it's conceivable, rather I wouldn't rule out, some contingency, at the
very least, a drive, not a boot drive, may adversely upon failure
react with the BIOS/controllers and, possibly, the defined function of
a boot drive. The plus side, of course, is it's an easily reducible
solution simply to remove a substandard drive. To simplify is often
the first rule of troubleshooting divisible modularity within the
hardware assembly.
Old July 15th 16, 10:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 1:48:27 AM UTC+3, Flasherly wrote:
So, yes,
it's conceivable, rather I wouldn't rule out, some contingency, at the
very least, a drive, not a boot drive, may adversely upon failure
react with the BIOS/controllers and, possibly, the defined function of
a boot drive. The plus side, of course, is it's an easily reducible
solution simply to remove a substandard drive. To simplify is often
the first rule of troubleshooting divisible modularity within the
hardware assembly.

I recall around 10 years ago a massive failure at Google's server farm blamed on a single bad bit--yes a single one (with an alpha cosmic particle being the probably cause)--that somehow propagated throughout the RAID system according to Murphy's Law and caused the entire server farm to crash. Yes I know about RAID. Google engineers were amazed and it was deemed a 'once in a lifetime black swan event', but it happened.

RL
Old July 16th 16, 09:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 14:57:36 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99

recall around 10 years ago a massive failure at Google's server farm
blamed on a single bad bit--yes a single one (with an alpha cosmic
particle being the probably cause)--that somehow propagated throughout
the RAID system according to Murphy's Law and caused the entire server
farm to crash. Yes I know about RAID. Google engineers were amazed
and it was deemed a 'once in a lifetime black swan event', but it
happened.

-
Already did that with RAID, to my mind destroyed a couple WD HDs from
a Bestbuy early-Sun-morn-only sale: they both lasted a year to the
date of their warrantee expirations, however misappropriated for
mis-RAIDing by me. Never setup another (striped or otherwise) RAID
again after that.

The other is slotted controllers. Since MFM and RLL, seems I've
invariably ended up with "something" slotted for never enough HDD
ports. Some good cards, for about as many, I've probably bought, that
turned out otherwise. Generally at their simplest interactive form,
when applicable, configurable to the BIOS.

Anything, whatsoever, then can go wrong used to be my motto, though,
about (usually overbuilt) builds. Computer science is a slave to
entropy. Nor, is there anything graceful to computer failures, each
build tending to be unique, to my mind, to itself and to a gradual
course --seldom one to exhibit complete and conclusive failure--
rather then to meander off alongside the roadside, to kludge,
obsolescence, which are both located just before the final
destination, known as digital dementia.

After leaving the ASUS camp, though, a couple of Gigabyte MBs --well
into 5-year's present usage-- have me raising my eyebrows,
backtracking: nothing seems to faze them, including MB chipsets that
reach as high as 150F, occasionally on loads, in the summer heat. The
CPU just might top off to hit 130F, but it's video rendering from
onboard video chipsets, I suspect, resulting in the 150F mark;-
compounded to the last quadcore update, as a prior dualcore never came
near those temperatures (it being of course incapable of running
program(s) near so intensively).

In fact, it's been so long since the usual hair-pulling, thanks to
Gigabyte, I might as well dread the next build. (Keeps on going this
way and that might be government mandated and registered MAC addresses
to future MB network chips, and a BIOS only compliant once Windows 10
has activated it, from Microsoft's Redmond Research Labs, for
terminal-usage only.))
Old July 16th 16, 03:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 12/07/16 14:59, RayLopez99 wrote:
Like the title says, if I add on a fairly modern 2010
Mobo a mechanical HDD and it goes bad, will the main
(bootable) "C" drive continue to work?

Under normal circumstances, they are mutually exclusive, as in
probability.

I hope so, since the SATA drive I'm adding as the "D" drive
is really old, and I intend to use it for backups only.

Unless it short-circuit itself.... or it got a bomb inside.

Another possible failure is data inside "D" was infected with virus and
you accidentally executed programs inside its partitions by
double-clicking your mouse on them. BUT if you got a decent real-time
virus scanner, you should be fine.

But if it goes bad I hope the C: drive will boot.
I think it will.

You might want to tell us more about how you got "D".
Maybe experts here can offer more advises.

I am not.

Of course I'm not doing something
crazy like making a RAID0 system.

If you set up a RAID 0 with a slower hard disk with
your new one, it might slow down everything.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Old July 16th 16, 08:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 22:55:21 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

| On 12/07/16 14:59, RayLopez99 wrote:
| Like the title says, if I add on a fairly modern 2010
| Mobo a mechanical HDD and it goes bad, will the main
| (bootable) "C" drive continue to work?
|
| Under normal circumstances, they are mutually exclusive, as in
| probability.

Back in pre-SSD days, my swap file was on D (1st partition on separate HHD). Never
had a problem with that setup as I recall.

Larc