Does anyone have an old 386/486 laptop for me?

Old April 25th 07, 10:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Oguz Meteer

Default Does anyone have an old 386/486 laptop for me?

Hello,

I'm developing a simple OS and i would like to have a dedicated machine
for testing purposes so i was wondering if someone has an old 386/486
laptop that they don't want anymore. A senior at my faculty advised me
to ask it here so i hope that someone can help me

Greetz,

Oguz
Old April 26th 07, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_3_]

"Oguz Meteer" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm developing a simple OS and i would like to have a dedicated machine
for testing purposes so i was wondering if someone has an old 386/486
laptop that they don't want anymore. A senior at my faculty advised me to
ask it here so i hope that someone can help me

You're best bet for something like that is ebay! Open ebay and search for
item number 250106289255. Or just search ebay for 486 and narrow the search
down to computers using the "matching categories" section on the left.

Old April 28th 07, 03:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Plato

Oguz Meteer wrote:

I'm developing a simple OS and i would like to have a dedicated machine
for testing purposes so i was wondering if someone has an old 386/486
laptop that they don't want anymore. A senior at my faculty advised me
to ask it here so i hope that someone can help me

Cruise your neighborhood on garbage day to find old systems for free.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Old April 28th 07, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike Walsh

Some of my cheapskate friends buy old hardware at the monthly county auction. Flea markets are another good source.

Plato wrote:

Oguz Meteer wrote:

I'm developing a simple OS and i would like to have a dedicated machine
for testing purposes so i was wondering if someone has an old 386/486
laptop that they don't want anymore. A senior at my faculty advised me
to ask it here so i hope that someone can help me

Cruise your neighborhood on garbage day to find old systems for free.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old April 28th 07, 06:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

Mike Walsh wrote:

Some of my cheapskate friends buy old hardware at the monthly
county auction. Flea markets are another good source.

Please control line length. They should not exceed 72 chars.

irrelevant material. See the following links:

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/ (taming google)
http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/ (newusers)

Old April 28th 07, 09:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

"CBFalconer" wrote in message
Mike Walsh wrote:

Some of my cheapskate friends buy old hardware at the monthly
county auction. Flea markets are another good source.

Please control line length. They should not exceed 72 chars.

Too bad if your client is broken. It should automatically wrap at the right
margin.

irrelevant material. See the following links:

And please don't hijack threads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_hijacking

Old April 28th 07, 09:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

Mike Walsh wrote:

Some of my cheapskate friends buy old hardware at the monthly
county auction. Flea markets are another good source.

Please control line length. They should not exceed 72 chars.

Too bad if your client is broken. It should automatically wrap at the right
margin.

No it should not. That would mangle text (web links, for
example) that the author intended to remain longer or any
other particular formatting that was purposefully used.

The solution is clear. As with any other medium, the author
is the one who is composing the message and this, like with
any more basic typing task, involves setting page width or
continually hitting the carrage return.

If someone didn't "feel" like hitting a carrage return or
stopping at the end of a viewable page, would this be
acceptible to an employer, the IRS, a school examiner, a
court document? Absolutely not. Contemporary monitor
resolution determines a "viewable page" which is a boundary
for line breaks for the author. It is not reasonable to
burden the reader with recomposing something just as it
would be rejected in any of the other aforementioned
contexts if the text went beyond the end of the viewable
page.
Old April 29th 07, 05:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Apr 25, 2:58 pm, Oguz Meteer wrote:
Hello,

I'm developing a simple OS and i would like to have a dedicated machine
for testing purposes so i was wondering if someone has an old 386/486
laptop that they don't want anymore. A senior at my faculty advised me
to ask it here so i hope that someone can help me

Greetz,

Oguz

The thing to watch out for is that virtually every laptop that old has
a dead cmos battery. And of course, a dead main battery, at least one
of which is nearly impossible to find a replacement for. Consider it a
fact of life.