What do you think?

Old September 28th 06, 05:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RwG

Default What do you think?

It's a Dell, Inspiron 7000 laptop with broken hinges. In fact, the lid is just
hanging on by the electrics. The owner doesn't even want to spring for new
hinges under $50. so I figure the next best thing is to use the external monitor
she has. -The existing video just gets in the way -her nephew is just going to
use it for school work mainly.

So what's the chance that I can just cut the wire strip going to the lid and
still have the external video work? Or maybe somebody has a take apart for this
model.

Thanks
Old September 28th 06, 08:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Christopher Range

RwG wrote:
It's a Dell, Inspiron 7000 laptop with broken hinges. In fact, the lid is just
hanging on by the electrics. The owner doesn't even want to spring for new
hinges under $50. so I figure the next best thing is to use the external monitor
she has. -The existing video just gets in the way -her nephew is just going to
use it for school work mainly.

So what's the chance that I can just cut the wire strip going to the lid and
still have the external video work? Or maybe somebody has a take apart for this
model.

Thanks

Someone has to take it apart.

Christopher
Old October 10th 06, 01:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mitochondrion

Well you COULD just cut the ribbon, BUT this could cause shorting in
the video system and is not recommended. I would suggest taking it
apart, there will also be panel close switches either in the lid,
hinges, or the body itself. You will need to find a way to keep those
switches closed (shorting or Duct Tape LOL), also with taking it apart
you can just unplug the ribbon to the screen from it's bindings (no
shorting video system)

I owuld go with using an external KB,MOUSE (those touchpads are just
crap anyways)