strange startup problem

Old September 26th 06, 01:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Matt

Default strange startup problem

I built a new system about 6 months ago and everything has been working
great ever since. But today when I booted up the computer the system started
beeping like it had some sort of hardware failure. It would beep for a
random amount of times then pause, then beep for another random amount of
times and it kept doing this until the system booted up completely. The odd
thing is that the system didn't show any type of error and everything booted
just fine. I also didn't see any problems in the system properties or the
device manager, but when I turn the computer off and reboot it does the same
thing again. Any ideas?

Old September 26th 06, 01:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

"Matt" wrote in message
.. .
I built a new system about 6 months ago and everything has been working
great ever since. But today when I booted up the computer the system
started beeping like it had some sort of hardware failure. It would beep
for a random amount of times then pause, then beep for another random
amount of times and it kept doing this until the system booted up
completely. The odd thing is that the system didn't show any type of error
and everything booted just fine. I also didn't see any problems in the
system properties or the device manager, but when I turn the computer off
and reboot it does the same thing again. Any ideas?

Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery? -Dave

Old September 26th 06, 02:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Matt

"Mike T." wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Matt" wrote in message
.. .
I built a new system about 6 months ago and everything has been working
great ever since. But today when I booted up the computer the system
started beeping like it had some sort of hardware failure. It would beep
for a random amount of times then pause, then beep for another random
amount of times and it kept doing this until the system booted up
completely. The odd thing is that the system didn't show any type of error
and everything booted just fine. I also didn't see any problems in the
system properties or the device manager, but when I turn the computer off
and reboot it does the same thing again. Any ideas?

Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery? -Dave

actually that one never occurred to me... the whole system's only 6 months
old and the motherboard was a fairly new release when I got the system so I
assumed that the CMOS battery would be fine... but I'll give it a try,
thanks.

Old September 26th 06, 07:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

I've seen this with 2 sources on the mobo .. the cpu
and the chipset module ( Northbridge ? ). It can be
caused by dried out thermal paste not making good
contact until the system gets hot and melts the
goop. At least pull the cpu-heatsink and re-goop it.
I've never been able to pull the chipset module ..
at least the fanless ones. When they overheat, it
is new mobo time. Also, when putting thermal
paste on a cpu, DON'T try to spread it all around
thinly. Spread some of it thinly out to the edges,
and then put a quantity in a small pile in the center
of the cpu, and let the pressure and heat of the
heatsink spread it. That gives the best and lowest
cpu temp.

johns

Old September 26th 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

random pattern of beeps?

hmmm not likely...listen for a pattern, my guess is loose or faulty memory

.. .

Old September 26th 06, 09:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Matt

"JAD" wrote in message
random pattern of beeps?

hmmm not likely...listen for a pattern, my guess is loose or faulty memory

well the majority of faulty memory beeps series I've heard were usually 3 to
4 beeps in a row repeated.. this one literally beeps 6 to 7 times at a quick
pace, pauses for a second them beeps say 3 to 4 times at a slower pace, then
pauses and beeps 5 to 6 times at a mid pace... and so on... I've listened to
it 3 times now and there's not a pattern that I can discern. I'll pull the
memory and try booting with each stick though.

Old September 26th 06, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Matt

"johns" wrote in message
oups.com...

I've seen this with 2 sources on the mobo .. the cpu
and the chipset module ( Northbridge ? ). It can be
caused by dried out thermal paste not making good
contact until the system gets hot and melts the
goop. At least pull the cpu-heatsink and re-goop it.
I've never been able to pull the chipset module ..
at least the fanless ones. When they overheat, it
is new mobo time. Also, when putting thermal
paste on a cpu, DON'T try to spread it all around
thinly. Spread some of it thinly out to the edges,
and then put a quantity in a small pile in the center
of the cpu, and let the pressure and heat of the
heatsink spread it. That gives the best and lowest
cpu temp.

Thanks! Let me try a few more things first and then I'll replace the thermal
paste.

Old September 26th 06, 11:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW

In the motherboard's owners manual it will tell you what that particular
pattern of beeps during startup indicates.

--
DaveW

.. .

Old October 10th 06, 01:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mitochondrion

Check your board installation for proper grounding (little circle
insulators on screws intact)

It's definately a hardware issue with the mainboard.

CHECK EVERYTHING, especially RAM, CARDS, CMOS BATT, GROUNDING