Need a Kick-Ass Case!

Old January 26th 04, 12:12 AM
McCrack

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:07:13 GMT, "Daniel L. Belton"
wrote:

Ummmmmmm... most car radiators happen to be black... and the one I
have on my watercooled P4 setup is black as well...

And Alpha heatsinks are black.
Old January 27th 04, 12:51 PM
Dave

"h2so4" wrote in message
"Is sadism, necrophilia and bestiality flogging a dead horse?"

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com

Only if the flogger has an erection at the time.

Correction:-

Only if the flogger has an erection *inserted* at the time.

Old January 28th 04, 02:34 AM
h2so4

Only if the flogger has an erection at the time.

Correction:-

Only if the flogger has an erection *inserted* at the time.

OK. Point well taken...Ouch!!!!

Old January 28th 04, 08:32 AM
Dion L Heap

"h2so4" wrote in message
Only if the flogger has an erection at the time.

Correction:-

Only if the flogger has an erection *inserted* at the time.

OK. Point well taken...Ouch!!!!

Also reminds me of the king who couldn't find a woman, and was depressed,
the court jester tried allsorts to cheer up the king all to no avail, there
was only one thing that would cheer up the king, and that was to get laid!
Things got progressively worse until eventually the king was at his wit's
end!

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com

Old January 28th 04, 08:35 AM
Phil Weldon

Perhaps better than a slide-out motherboard tray for your purposes is a case
with lots of room inside. If you will have have half a dozen drives plus a
complex cooling system, a slide-out motherboard tray will not be that much
of a time-saver.

I am very satisfied with my two Enlight 8950 Extended ATX tower cases. They
are not as tall as a full tower case, but are MUCH deeper, giving
considerable free space between even the back of a DVD drive and the front
edge of any motherboard. These cases have nine front panel accessible 5
1/4" bays and one 3 1/2" bay, and can mount redundant 400 Watt power
supplies. The dimensions are 8.67" width X 16.9" tall X 23.64" deep. The
construction is heavy stee (35 pounds). Both side panels are removeable.
The entire front panel is a lockable door, with the option of leaving three
5 1/4" bays, the 3 1/2", all indicators, and all switches accessible with
the door locked. The rear panel has two 80 mm fans. I added a 120 mm fan
in the left side panel, blowing directly onto the motherboard area
containing the CPU, chipset, and memory. Cost was about $110 without
powersupplies.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just sold my 4 months old AMD system which was housed in an ANTEC
SX630II Mini Tower case. I did like the ANTEC but it was my *Value*

option.
I intend to build a new system (AMD I reckon) but this time I want to
push-the-boat-out with the Case + PSU.

I am an overclocker, I like ABIT mobos and Radeon Graphics. I want to use
at least 4-6 hard drives + assorted optical drives.

So far the thing I want to try the most is this *removable* mobo tray but

am not sure if this works as I think it might?. The thing I didn't like
about my ANTEC case was that it was a tight fit with My ABIT NF7-S and it
was impossible to mount the HSF (AERO7 LITE) when the mobo was inside the
case, so I had to attach the HSF on the mobo outside the case then lift

the
bare mobo (with HSF attached) and fumble-finger it down into the case, no
fun at all. This meant that if I wanted to swap out HSF or try a new CPU

would literally have to disassemble my ENTIRE PC, screws out from Mobo and
everything! what a PAIN!. I do not know of a way to take the HSF on/off
while the mobo was inside my case as the clip for the HSF was facing the
inside. . towards the PSU, so yeah I could remove the PSU to unclip the

HSF
but still a pain.

If I had a case with *removable* mobo holder tray, would I be able to

slide
the mobo in/out with a HSF attached? If so this would be *Kickass* but I'm
not sure if this is possible? If I can't do this then I see little point

in
having a *removable* mobo tray?

So with this in mind, I am looking for these features in my new case:

1) Aluminium - To help system cooling
2) Removable Mobo Tray - To help make frequent HSF/CPU changes as painless
as possible
3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo easy
4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable

= = = = = = = = = = =
So far I am very tempted to get this case:
CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (£94.17)
http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
= = = = = = = = = = =
Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice so far

is:
ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (£76.36)
http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in my spec.
= = = = = = = = = = =
TOTAL: £170.53
= = = = = = = = = = =
Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you could lend
me your experience
--
Wayne ][

Old January 28th 04, 10:51 AM
TomG

ugh!

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 120,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Dion L Heap" wrote in message
.. .

Old January 28th 04, 11:54 PM
ANDREW BELL

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm glad I made that post. Lots of Lian Li fans here :P

Me too :-). Lian Li PC6010 (the aquarium one, though if you need to remove
the aquarium side panel, they also provide you with a plain aluminium panel
too).
Two (very minor) points about the case:
1) The PSU is meant to be screwed to a back plate and slid into the case
from the outside: the fan grill on the base of the TruePower 480 stops you
from doing that (the hole in the back of the case isn't quite deep enough).
No big deal, as if you're replacing the PSU you need to open up the PC
anyway.
2) The wires coming from the USB ports on the front of the case have a
connector on each individual wire rather than a "block" connector, which
makes it rather fiddly to attach to the motherboard header.

Having said that, I really like the case, though that one is probably too
small for your needs. Will take 4 x 5.25" drives and 6 x 3.5", but the lower
three bays are directly behind the front intake fans.

Will keep reading and also look for a good supplier of Lian-Li cases in

the
U.K

Try www.kustompcs.co.uk . I use them and www.overclockers.co.uk for just
about all my hardware. Kustompcs tend to stock stuff I can't find elsewhere
(in the UK), and I've used them quite a few times without a problem.

Andy

Old January 29th 04, 03:20 AM
OverKlocker

check out the kingwin alum cases. this is the one i'm getting to
replace my lian li...lots of good reviews on it

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1

Old January 29th 04, 03:20 AM
OverKlocker

1) Slidable mobo tray

2) Hold 4 hard-disks (and cool them)

3)Plenty of 80mm (or120mm) fan holders/holes

4) USB2.0 ports (preferably with case ports that can connect to mobo easily)

5) NO DOOR over the cd-rom drives or case front

6) Quick release mobo pin header cable (HDD light. reset etc)

7) Midi Tower, not a full tower, I don't need 6 CD-Rom bays

I do like the look of the Lian-Li PC60/65, it's just that I don't really the
the way it has 3 floppy bays on the outside. I would prefer it with less
floppy holes and the fans on top of each other instead of side by side at
the bottom (like the Lian-Li PC60/65).

I'm a tricky customer I guess, but thanks again for all helpful comments

definately check out the new kingwin cases. they even have rubber
mounts for the hdd's (to bad you dont live near me, i made an offer to
a friend to trade my case with window, 92mm card cooler fan, $60 in
blue lights, and airflow mods, for the kingwin black/window case and
$50)... but the lian-li's are nice
Old January 30th 04, 05:46 PM
Ed Forsythe

Hi Troops,
I was referring to the old fashioned hot water radiators used to heat
rooms - Way before most of you were born The fact that there are black
heatsinks, radiators, etc. does not mean that they are better at
dissipating/reflecting heat. Put a black and a white car side by side on a
hot day. Wait a few hours and the interior temperature of the black car
will be higher than the white. A roof with light colored shingles will be
cooler than the one with dark shingles. A white shirt will keep you cooler
in the summer than a black/dark shirt. But maybe I'm comparing apples and
oranges??
--
Tally Ho!
Ed