AMD Dual Core question

Old September 11th 06, 01:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GuessWho

Default AMD Dual Core question

I have a MSI K8N Neo4 mobo that I was planning on using to build a new
machine to replace my wife's P3. This board is for Athlon64 cpus, which I
was intending to use, but there is a BIOS upgrade for dual core support and
since AMD dual core processors have dropped dramatically in price, I was
thinking about going the dual core route.

Will my build boot with a dual core cpu just recognizing it as a single core
processor?

TIA,

Wayne

Old September 11th 06, 02:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor

In article , GuessWho says...
I have a MSI K8N Neo4 mobo that I was planning on using to build a new
machine to replace my wife's P3. This board is for Athlon64 cpus, which I
was intending to use, but there is a BIOS upgrade for dual core support and
since AMD dual core processors have dropped dramatically in price, I was
thinking about going the dual core route.

Will my build boot with a dual core cpu just recognizing it as a single core
processor?

Hit and miss. Try to get the retailer to verify the BIOS version.

--
Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.
Old September 11th 06, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
WooHoo2You

"GuessWho" wrote in message
I have a MSI K8N Neo4 mobo that I was planning on using to build a new
machine to replace my wife's P3. This board is for Athlon64 cpus, which I
was intending to use, but there is a BIOS upgrade for dual core support and
since AMD dual core processors have dropped dramatically in price, I was
thinking about going the dual core route.

Will my build boot with a dual core cpu just recognizing it as a single
core processor?

If you flash the bios prior to installing the dual-core processor there
should be no a problem.

--
WooHoo2You

Old September 11th 06, 06:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

Will my build boot with a dual core cpu just recognizing it as a single
core processor?

If you flash the bios prior to installing the dual-core processor there
should be no a problem.

--
WooHoo2You

Uhhhh . . . how's he going to do that without a processor to run the flash
program? -Dave

Old September 12th 06, 06:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
WooHoo2You

"Mike T." wrote in message
reenews.net...
Uhhhh . . . how's he going to do that without a processor to run the flash
program? -Dave

Sorry, I just skimmed the post and having upgraded my rig from a single to a
dual-core, I just assumed what s/he was really asking being that I had the
same question. The answer to your question about how is.....magic of
course.

--
WooHoo2You

Old October 10th 06, 12:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mitochondrion

If you run XP 32/64 bit on it it will detect the X2 as two separate
Athlon64's