Dead hard disk with musical beeps

Old October 30th 04, 11:58 PM
Arnold

Default Dead hard disk with musical beeps

My hard disk (Maxtor Diamondmax Plus, 80GB, nearly two years old)
unexpectedly died this morning. At power up it doesn't spin-up, instead it
beeps/chimes a few times.

1) any suggestions on how to revive the disk? The data is not important
enough to spend hundreds of dollars for data recovery, but I would like to
save some of it.

2) what is the meaning of the musical beeps from the hard disk? The sound is
somewhat similar to a mobile phone melody. It definitely comes from the hard
disk, not the motherboard. It is generated during the failed attempts to
spin-up. It is even generated with the data cable disconnected, only the
power cable must be connected.

Old October 31st 04, 03:51 AM
kony

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:58:49 +0200, "Arnold"
wrote:

My hard disk (Maxtor Diamondmax Plus, 80GB, nearly two years old)
unexpectedly died this morning. At power up it doesn't spin-up, instead it
beeps/chimes a few times.

1) any suggestions on how to revive the disk? The data is not important
enough to spend hundreds of dollars for data recovery, but I would like to
save some of it.

Likely you can't but there's the good ole
put-in-freezer-overnight trick, kept in an airtight bag.

2) what is the meaning of the musical beeps from the hard disk? The sound is
somewhat similar to a mobile phone melody. It definitely comes from the hard
disk, not the motherboard. It is generated during the failed attempts to
spin-up. It is even generated with the data cable disconnected, only the
power cable must be connected.

It means the drive is dead?
Old October 31st 04, 10:12 AM
Arnold

"kony" wrote:

My hard disk (Maxtor Diamondmax Plus, 80GB, nearly two years old)
unexpectedly died this morning. At power up it doesn't spin-up,
instead it beeps/chimes a few times.

1) any suggestions on how to revive the disk? The data is not
important enough to spend hundreds of dollars for data recovery, but
I would like to save some of it.

Likely you can't but there's the good ole
put-in-freezer-overnight trick, kept in an airtight bag.

Fortunately the disk is alive again. Somewhere else I read that in the past
Maxtor drives occasionally had problems with "stiction" where the spindle
bearings became frozen and the drive would not spin up. One suggestion was
to tap the drive with a rubber mallet in such a way as to coerce the spindle
free. In my case, a gentle tap worked, so I could save my data. The drive
now seems to be fine, able to spin-up many times (but I'll throw it away
anyway).

2) what is the meaning of the musical beeps from the hard disk? The
sound is somewhat similar to a mobile phone melody. It definitely
comes from the hard disk, not the motherboard. It is generated
during the failed attempts to spin-up. It is even generated with the
data cable disconnected, only the power cable must be connected.

It means the drive is dead?

No, the tune was rather lively (http://www.techimo.com/maxtorbeeps.mp3); it
probably meant "if you kiss me I'll open my eyes". Another victim opened a
similar crashed Maxtor disk (http://www.techimo.com/forum/t43161.html) to
locate the source of the sound. It seems to come from a kind of air filter,
a small plastic box that contains tiny metal beads.

Protable USB hard disk ma General 3 August 1st 04 02:28 AM
RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
Strange files saved the hard disk SunMyoung Yoon General 1 January 3rd 04 04:44 AM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
Vendor Warning! Monarch Computer - Samsung SP1614N 160gb hard disk drives Steve Hawkins Jr General 2 October 25th 03 03:43 AM