Seagate Barracuda

Old November 14th 05, 02:42 AM
TenPercent

Default Seagate Barracuda

Hi, I see the Seagate 80 gig barracuda sells
for about twice the price of other 80 gig EIDE/ATA drives
like Maxtor's and Western Digital's.

Specifically, I was looking at the:

"Seagate ST380013ARK Internal Barracuda 7200 RPM 80 GB
Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive"

If I buy this drive, can I expect to have very
few bad blocks show up over the first couple of years?

I'm kind of tired of using Linux's "badblocks"
and "e2fsck" programs to isolate my current hard
disk's bad blocks, which are showing up with more
frequency.

Thank you very much for any helpful insights.
Old November 14th 05, 03:08 AM
Rod Speed

TenPercent wrote

I see the Seagate 80 gig barracuda sells for
about twice the price of other 80 gig EIDE/ATA
drives like Maxtor's and Western Digital's.

No it doesnt.

Specifically, I was looking at the:

"Seagate ST380013ARK Internal Barracuda
7200 RPM 80 GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive"

If I buy this drive, can I expect to have very few
bad blocks show up over the first couple of years?

You can with any decent drive. I
dont include maxtors or WDs in that.

I'm kind of tired of using Linux's "badblocks" and
"e2fsck" programs to isolate my current hard disk's
bad blocks, which are showing up with more frequency.

Its dying, have decent backups and replace it now.

Old November 14th 05, 05:19 AM
J. Clarke

TenPercent wrote:

Hi, I see the Seagate 80 gig barracuda sells
for about twice the price of other 80 gig EIDE/ATA drives
like Maxtor's and Western Digital's.

Specifically, I was looking at the:

"Seagate ST380013ARK Internal Barracuda 7200 RPM 80 GB
Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive"

If I buy this drive, can I expect to have very
few bad blocks show up over the first couple of years?

I'm kind of tired of using Linux's "badblocks"
and "e2fsck" programs to isolate my current hard
disk's bad blocks, which are showing up with more
frequency.

Thank you very much for any helpful insights.

If bad blocks are showing up with increasing frequency then you need to
replace the drive. This is the classic symptom of impending drive failure.

You should not have to use "badblocks" or "e2fsck"--the drive should spare
bad sectors transparently--if it doesn't this suggests that its sparing has
been used up which means that it is in _really_ bad shape.

I don't know where you're getting that 80 gig Barracudas go for twice the
price of other 80 gig drives--Newegg lists Western Digital for $50, Seagate
for $53, and Samsung for $59.

Before you replace your drive make _sure_ that it is getting adequate clean
power and adequate cooling--that means check voltages with a meter to make
sure your motherboard is reporting them accurately then monitor for a while
to make sure that they aren't dropping out of spec under load and check
drive temperatures with a thermocouple probe or tempilstik. If you've got
a power or cooling problem fixing it might correct the problem you're
having with your existing drive.

Regardless of any of this, bad sectors after a year of operation is _not_
normal.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old November 14th 05, 08:04 AM
larry moe 'n curly

TenPercent wrote:
Hi, I see the Seagate 80 gig barracuda sells
for about twice the price of other 80 gig EIDE/ATA drives
like Maxtor's and Western Digital's.

Several months ago, I paid a final price of $20 for my 160G Seagate
Barracuda 7200.7, $40 for my 200G Seagate, and I haven't noticed any
local price differences among brands, except for Samsung, which I can't
buy as cheaply because it's never sold with a rebate here.

Old November 14th 05, 12:42 PM
Arno Wagner

Previously J. Clarke wrote:
TenPercent wrote:

Hi, I see the Seagate 80 gig barracuda sells
for about twice the price of other 80 gig EIDE/ATA drives
like Maxtor's and Western Digital's.

Specifically, I was looking at the:

"Seagate ST380013ARK Internal Barracuda 7200 RPM 80 GB
Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive"

If I buy this drive, can I expect to have very
few bad blocks show up over the first couple of years?

I'm kind of tired of using Linux's "badblocks"
and "e2fsck" programs to isolate my current hard
disk's bad blocks, which are showing up with more
frequency.

Thank you very much for any helpful insights.

If bad blocks are showing up with increasing frequency then you need to
replace the drive. This is the classic symptom of impending drive failure.

I completely agree to this. The highest number of bad sectors I have
on a Maxtor disk is 279, but a) it has not changed for 1 year now
and b) they are all invisible to the user except in the SMART status.

You should not have to use "badblocks" or "e2fsck"--the drive should spare
bad sectors transparently--if it doesn't this suggests that its sparing has
been used up which means that it is in _really_ bad shape.

You should run e2fsck regularly, but not because of bad blocks. The
occasional automatic run on start-up is enough. ''badblocks'' is a
relict from an earlier time when HDDs did not hide defect sectors
from the user. As much other Unix tools it is very old. Today it
rarely serves a purpose.

I don't know where you're getting that 80 gig Barracudas go for twice the
price of other 80 gig drives--Newegg lists Western Digital for $50, Seagate
for $53, and Samsung for $59.

I would stay away from WD and Maxtor today. Seagate and Samsung seem both
ok.

Before you replace your drive make _sure_ that it is getting adequate clean
power and adequate cooling--that means check voltages with a meter to make
sure your motherboard is reporting them accurately then monitor for a while
to make sure that they aren't dropping out of spec under load and check
drive temperatures with a thermocouple probe or tempilstik.

Actually checking drive temperature with hdd_temp or smarctl should
be enough, if your drive supports this.

If you've got
a power or cooling problem fixing it might correct the problem you're
having with your existing drive.

Regardless of any of this, bad sectors after a year of operation is _not_
normal.

It might have been dropped. I saw this in several Maxtor drives
that had been dropped.

Arno
Old November 14th 05, 02:30 PM
J. Clarke

Arno Wagner wrote:

Previously J. Clarke wrote:
TenPercent wrote:

[...]

I don't have enough recent experience with WD or Maxtor to comment--on my
own systems I just had to replace a bad Maxtor but it had been running
continuously for about four years and the other three Maxtors in that
system seem to be fine.

Before you replace your drive make _sure_ that it is getting adequate
clean power and adequate cooling--that means check voltages with a meter
to make sure your motherboard is reporting them accurately then monitor
for a while to make sure that they aren't dropping out of spec under load
and check drive temperatures with a thermocouple probe or tempilstik.

Actually checking drive temperature with hdd_temp or smarctl should
be enough, if your drive supports this.

Agreed.

If you've got
a power or cooling problem fixing it might correct the problem you're
having with your existing drive.

Regardless of any of this, bad sectors after a year of operation is _not_
normal.

It might have been dropped. I saw this in several Maxtor drives
that had been dropped.

For a while (during the 75GXP era by the way) a lot of drives seemed to be
arriving wrapped in a couple of layers of small-bubble bubble wrap, which
did not provide the three inches of padding that the drive manufacturers
specify. During that time I encountered a couple of drives that reported
"excessive shock" right out of the package--after that I started ordering
retail drives--it was worth a couple of bucks extra to be sure it was
properly packaged.

Arno

Old November 14th 05, 02:30 PM
J. Clarke

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

TenPercent wrote:
Hi, I see the Seagate 80 gig barracuda sells
for about twice the price of other 80 gig EIDE/ATA drives
like Maxtor's and Western Digital's.

Several months ago, I paid a final price of $20 for my 160G Seagate
Barracuda 7200.7, $40 for my 200G Seagate, and I haven't noticed any
local price differences among brands, except for Samsung, which I can't
buy as cheaply because it's never sold with a rebate here.

May I ask where you found those prices?

Old November 14th 05, 04:10 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
TenPercent wrote:

[...]

Ignore this troll, he knows better than that.
Badly written 'bad' sectors are not spared automatically. So bad sectors
showing is *NOT* necessarily a sign 'that its sparing has been used up'.
A huge number of sector reallocations in SMART to the amount of the
number of spares as documented in the drive's specs is the only indicator
'that its sparing has been used up'. Other signs may be that the drive has
switched off it's write cache.

I don't know where you're getting that 80 gig Barracudas go for twice the
price of other 80 gig drives--Newegg lists Western Digital for $50, Seagate
for $53, and Samsung for $59.

Before you replace your drive make _sure_ that it is getting adequate clean
power and adequate cooling--that means check voltages with a meter to make
sure your motherboard is reporting them accurately then monitor for a while
to make sure that they aren't dropping out of spec under load and check
drive temperatures with a thermocouple probe or tempilstik. If you've got
a power or cooling problem fixing it might correct the problem you're
having with your existing drive.

See, he knows better.

Regardless of any of this, bad sectors after a year of operation is _not_
normal.

It is when you have PowerSupply or cooling problems.
Logical bad sectors developed during such incidents go away when these sectors
are overwritten
Old November 14th 05, 04:15 PM
TenPercent

This is the funny thing about my
hard disk. I run badblocks and it reports
41 bad blocks on /home.

So I run "e2fsck -c -v /dev/hda10" so the
bad block inodes will be placed in the bad blocks
inode list. But after running "dumpe2fs -b /dev/hda10"
to see the inode numbers of the bad blocks in the list,
some of the 41 are NOT appearing in the list--some
are but some are not.

So I'm kind of confused about what's happening.
Why wouldn't e2fsck place all 41 inode numbers in the
list?

Thanks.
Old November 14th 05, 06:22 PM
Bioboffin

J. Clarke wrote:
TenPercent wrote:

[...]

Good advice here - I recently (two weeks ago) bought a new Seagate SATA
drive - got lots of (about 20) bad blocks in the first couple of days.
Realised that the PSU was the problem and replaced it. No new bad blocks
now - system now working faster and better than before.

John.