heatsink for socket 7

Old July 26th 03, 06:55 PM
AD C

Default heatsink for socket 7

I know, a sockt 7 is an old beats, but the fans on my old 400mhz is
getting past it day.

do anyone in the U.K know where I can get a heatsink for a socket 7 chip
from, mail oder?

I know a few people who still use socket 7 chips and I am finding it
difficult to find the heatsinks.
The last one I used some paper clips to fix an old case fan to the
heatsink, it done the job, but it is not the best way.

Old July 27th 03, 02:27 AM
D F Bonnett

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 17:55:14 +0000 (UTC), AD C
wrote:

I know, a sockt 7 is an old beats, but the fans on my old 400mhz is
getting past it day.

do anyone in the U.K know where I can get a heatsink for a socket 7 chip
from, mail oder?

I know a few people who still use socket 7 chips and I am finding it
difficult to find the heatsinks.
The last one I used some paper clips to fix an old case fan to the
heatsink, it done the job, but it is not the best way.

How about UK Ebay?

Search Computing...Components...Fans, Heatsinks...Socket 7

FWIW
Old July 27th 03, 10:58 AM
Alien Zord

"AD C" wrote in message
I know, a sockt 7 is an old beats, but the fans on my old 400mhz is
getting past it day.

do anyone in the U.K know where I can get a heatsink for a socket 7

chip
from, mail oder?

I know a few people who still use socket 7 chips and I am finding it
difficult to find the heatsinks.
The last one I used some paper clips to fix an old case fan to the
heatsink, it done the job, but it is not the best way.

I've got plenty of them left on my company spares shelves but as a
producer of industrial computers its not geared for retail sale.
However, if you email me we will sort something out.

Old July 27th 03, 11:24 AM
Dave

"AD C" wrote in message
I know, a sockt 7 is an old beats, but the fans on my old 400mhz is
getting past it day.

do anyone in the U.K know where I can get a heatsink for a socket 7 chip
from, mail oder?

I know a few people who still use socket 7 chips and I am finding it
difficult to find the heatsinks.
The last one I used some paper clips to fix an old case fan to the
heatsink, it done the job, but it is not the best way.

If you want to continue to use the same heat-sink then you may want to
consider a 50mm case fan if it fits on the heat-sink. You should not have
any troubles finding a heat-sink to fit your socket 7 as any set-up that
fits socket 370/socket A/PIV. On my socket 7 AMD K6-2/500 @ 560 Mhz I have
a HSF set for a 1.4 GHz Pentium. I had to increase the voltage from 2.2V to
2.4V to get the CPU to run overclocked at 560MHz so now it runs hotter than
standard but with the P4 HSF it is OK. The box that the K6-2 is mounted in
only has the PSU fan for ventilation, there is no room to mount extra fans
(The box is an old AT box for a Pentium 120MHz, the current mother board
will run off AT or ATX power supply connectors).

The spring clip on the HSF for my AMD XP2000+ has holes on each side for
the three clips on each side of the socket A on the board for the CPU. I
tried the HSF on my socket 7 board and though the socket 7 has only 2 clips
on each side of the socket the holes in the spring clip lined up with the
clips on the socket 7.

Most socket 370s, socket As and P4 HSF sets will work on your socket 7
board. The most important thing to watch for is the mechanical mounting of
the HSF. Some socket 7s have lots of capacitors crowded around the CPU
socket, limiting the base size if the HSF. So you will have to measure the
area around the socket 7 and work out the size of the base of the HSF to be
mounted.

Oh yes, don't forget to get some heat transfer compound to smear on the CPU
before the HSF is mounted. The compound allows heat to be transferred from
the CPU to the HSF, keeping the CPU cool and operational. A hot CPU causes
crashes and the heat shortens the life of the CPU a lot.

Another consideration to look for is the size of the fan on the heat-sink,
if you have the choice of fans between two HSF sets then pick the one with
the largest fan. As a general rule, large fans are quieter than small ones
for the same amount of air blown through the heat-sink.

You are not restricted to socket 7 HSF sets on your comp, there is a much
wider choise out there, you only have to look but get the biggest on that
will fit as you may want to over-clock that little baby

Old July 27th 03, 05:01 PM
AD C

D F Bonnett wrote:

How about UK Ebay?

Search Computing...Components...Fans, Heatsinks...Socket 7

Thanks, but I now been told, that you can use a socket A heat sink

Old July 27th 03, 05:03 PM
AD C

Alien Zord wrote:

I've got plenty of them left on my company spares shelves but as a
producer of industrial computers its not geared for retail sale.
However, if you email me we will sort something out.

Thank you, I been told that i can use a socket A heatsink, I was a bit
worried before, because i thought socket 7 chips was thicker

As i said, at the moment they are not needed, but one day they may be,

Old July 27th 03, 05:04 PM
AD C

Dave wrote:

[...]

Thank you for that, I always thought there was a difference in the
thickness of the sockets or chips. that is fine then, I do not have to
worry too much, the one I bodged up will carry on working for a while, I
will get a cheap heatsink for my own.

Old July 27th 03, 07:31 PM
MCheu

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:01:31 +0000 (UTC), AD C
wrote::

D F Bonnett wrote:

How about UK Ebay?

Search Computing...Components...Fans, Heatsinks...Socket 7

Thanks, but I now been told, that you can use a socket A heat sink

I guess you can, but you'll need to get creative with the mounting.
the socketA and Socket370 heat sinks are a bit larger so the mounting
clips won't be a good fit for the socket.

If you can find a small 12V fan, you might be able to just replace the
fan on the heat sink. If I remember right, the fans were just screwed
in over top of the fins on the socket7 HSFs. It may even be easier
to find such a fan than it would be to find the socket7 HSF as such
fans are used by people for some hobby electronics projects and for
video card cooling.
Thanks,

MCheu
Old July 27th 03, 08:45 PM
kony

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:03:15 +0000 (UTC), AD C
wrote:

Alien Zord wrote:

I've got plenty of them left on my company spares shelves but as a
producer of industrial computers its not geared for retail sale.
However, if you email me we will sort something out.

Thank you, I been told that i can use a socket A heatsink, I was a bit
worried before, because i thought socket 7 chips was thicker

As i said, at the moment they are not needed, but one day they may be,

Yes, the socket 7 chips are slightly thicker, and the socket 7 socket
mounting-tabs are smaller, plus the heatsink clip "spec'd" force is
higher for socket A than socket 7 heatsinks were, so if you use a
socket A heatsink you might want to bend it's clip a bit to reduce
some of the tension... Since the socket A chips have a relatively
large contact area but lesser heat output, lower thermal density, it's
not signifcant to have a very tight heatsink, merely that it's not
wiggling around loose.

Howoever, the design of the motherboard needs be considered... many
socket 7 boards had capacitors or other components very near the
socket, so the heatsink might need fit entirely within the boundaries
of the socket, which would be max width of 55mm (perpendicular to the
clip) and 60mm parallel to the clip. Most socket A 'sinks are larger
than this, at a minimum they're "usually" 60x60mm.

If you have a dremel tool or a saw, file, grinder, etc, plus a lot of
elbow grease, you can make just about any 'sink fit, but remember to
consider the fan noise... Socket A sinks that are smaller may have
obnoxiously loud fans to compensate for their smaller size, which is
completely unecessary for a socket 7 processor which produces far less
heat.

Dave

Heatsink installation - General 3 July 26th 03 11:52 PM
Intel thermal pad or Arctic Silver? kony General 3 July 4th 03 12:35 AM
Can a 300W PSU handle this baby? fred do General 13 June 26th 03 01:02 PM