Warranty on Seagate 1.5 TB drives

Old March 18th 09, 11:01 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Daniel Prince

Default Warranty on Seagate 1.5 TB drives

I have been looking at the Seagate 1.5 TB drives on Pricewatch. Some
of the ads do not list the warranty period. Some list the warranty
period as three years. Some list the warranty period as five years.

I looked on the Seagate web site and all I found was this:

How Long Does The Coverage Last? Our warranty periods are 1 year, 2
years, 3 years or 5 years from the documented date of purchase,
depending on the type of product and where it was purchased.

Does anyone know what the warranty period on Seagate 1.5 TB OEM
internal drives is?
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
Old March 18th 09, 01:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Gerald Abrahamson

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 04:01:29 -0700, Daniel Prince
wrote:

I have been looking at the Seagate 1.5 TB drives on Pricewatch. Some
of the ads do not list the warranty period. Some list the warranty
period as three years. Some list the warranty period as five years.

I looked on the Seagate web site and all I found was this:

How Long Does The Coverage Last? Our warranty periods are 1 year, 2
years, 3 years or 5 years from the documented date of purchase,
depending on the type of product and where it was purchased.

Does anyone know what the warranty period on Seagate 1.5 TB OEM
internal drives is?

It was five years, now three years--on their standard
drives.

If you find one with a five year warranty, it was made
before the switch to three years (which happened within the
last four months). Check S/N for warranty info at Seagate.
Old March 18th 09, 03:59 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ato_Zee

It was five years, now three years--on their standard
drives.

OP said

Does anyone know what the warranty period on Seagate 1.5 TB OEM
internal drives is?

Is the OEM relevant? Like if it fails "contact your system supplier or
vendor of the drive" AIUI it is the retail boxed drives that can be
RMA'd on the Seagate website, if it comes in a system, or external
drive case, you may be told to contact the supplier?
(If the supplier was on eBay 2.5 years ago and has disappeared
that might be difficult)
Old March 19th 09, 01:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Gerald Abrahamson

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:59:12 GMT, "Ato_Zee"
wrote:

It was five years, now three years--on their standard
drives.

OP said

Does anyone know what the warranty period on Seagate 1.5 TB OEM
internal drives is?

Is the OEM relevant? Like if it fails "contact your system supplier or
vendor of the drive" AIUI it is the retail boxed drives that can be
RMA'd on the Seagate website, if it comes in a system, or external
drive case, you may be told to contact the supplier?
(If the supplier was on eBay 2.5 years ago and has disappeared
that might be difficult)

As long as it is a bare drive (not included as part of a
system or assembly such as external USB/eSATA box purchased
as a unit), then the new drive should have a 3 or 5 year
warranty. If the drive is sold as part of a system or
assembly, then the warranty is whatever the manufacturer of
the system or assembly tells him--and Seagate has nothing to
do with the warranty to the end-user.
Old March 19th 09, 03:34 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
GMAN[_9_]

wrote:

I have been looking at the Seagate 1.5 TB drives on Pricewatch. Some
of the ads do not list the warranty period. Some list the warranty
period as three years. Some list the warranty period as five years.

I looked on the Seagate web site and all I found was this:

How Long Does The Coverage Last? Our warranty periods are 1 year, 2
years, 3 years or 5 years from the documented date of purchase,
depending on the type of product and where it was purchased.

Does anyone know what the warranty period on Seagate 1.5 TB OEM
internal drives is?

It was five years, now three years--on their standard
drives.

If you find one with a five year warranty, it was made
before the switch to three years (which happened within the
last four months). Check S/N for warranty info at Seagate.

If the packaging and paperwork inside the box says 5 years, they must, at
least by Utah state law, honor the 5 year warranty.