Thermal paste

Old July 3rd 03, 07:25 AM
Z28

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
Go out to your car. Pull the oil dipstick out. Get a little oil on your
finger. Now go put a thin film on the CPu core and reinstall the cpu
cooler. ASIII won't do any better than that. And that should lower your
temps at least 20C. Better choioces if you have them handy would be any
thicker grease. I'm going to give axle (bearing) grease a try next week if
I can get the crust off the 25 year old tub I've got. Any other think oil
will work, but everyone can get motor oil, even if it's used.:-)

I just used my old radioshack silicon spew today over vs AS. Dropped 6c
and that was with lower SCFM fan! Go figure.

Old July 4th 03, 12:18 AM
Sparky

Default Thermal paste

Ok, I adnmit it - my ignorance about applying cooling solutions allowed me
to 'forget' about sticking in some paste between my modest Akasa and my
XP2800 (Barton). CPU now running at 63 deg C idle and 73 deg C (Prime)
Load. So I have some Arctic Silver III on order - how much of a difference
should I expect to se (assuming it is applied with the correct amount)?

--
Sparky

Old July 4th 03, 01:21 AM
Mr. Nangla

Hey,

Invest in a really good heatsink/fan, if you're not pickie about noise go
for those thermaltake ones! I don't know how much of different artic silver
makes because when I added it also added a copper zalman HSF, my temp on my
XP1700 (soon to be burned/overcloked) is... wow 44c :-)

Artic silver does help, but if wasn't that much fun applying it unless you
gotta scrap some crap of the processor with some of that crazy alcohol, goof
off etc.

Anyway, good luck

sham126

Old July 4th 03, 01:26 AM
Jerry McBride

I'd say... 20c to 25c

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 00:18:47 +0100 "Sparky" wrote:

Ok, I adnmit it - my ignorance about applying cooling solutions allowed me
to 'forget' about sticking in some paste between my modest Akasa and my
XP2800 (Barton). CPU now running at 63 deg C idle and 73 deg C (Prime)
Load. So I have some Arctic Silver III on order - how much of a difference
should I expect to se (assuming it is applied with the correct amount)?

--
Sparky

--

************************************************** ****************************
Registered Linux User Number 185956
Old July 4th 03, 02:00 AM
Frank Hagan

"Sparky" wrote in message
Ok, I adnmit it - my ignorance about applying cooling solutions allowed me
to 'forget' about sticking in some paste between my modest Akasa and my
XP2800 (Barton). CPU now running at 63 deg C idle and 73 deg C (Prime)
Load. So I have some Arctic Silver III on order - how much of a

difference
should I expect to se (assuming it is applied with the correct amount)?

--
Sparky

I would think around 20C ;-) Paste vs. no paste even with a good generic.
I'm trying some AS Ceramique on my backup unit. Don't see any difference,
but they say the curing time is anywhere from 72hrs to over 100hrs. Of
course that is "no difference" from ASIII ;-) And costs a bit less.

FRH

Old July 4th 03, 04:26 AM
Fig

if sparky is that lame and dont know why it should go in between there then
sparks will fly

Fig

"Doug G." wrote in message
.. .
In article , stuff@progression-
uk.com says...
Ok, I adnmit it - my ignorance about applying cooling solutions allowed

me
to 'forget' about sticking in some paste between my modest Akasa and my
XP2800 (Barton). CPU now running at 63 deg C idle and 73 deg C (Prime)
Load. So I have some Arctic Silver III on order - how much of a

difference
should I expect to se (assuming it is applied with the correct amount)?

--
Sparky

You better go out and at least pick up some cheep generic thermal
compound or pad to use until that Arctic Silver comes in, or your going
to end up killing that nice new 2800 Barton CPU.

Doug

Old July 4th 03, 10:51 AM
Sparky

"Fig" wrote in message
if sparky is that lame and dont know why it should go in between there

then
sparks will fly

Fig

ho ho ho

Actually, I am only using the PC for light work (checking email) atm until
the paste arrives (next day delivery so should be today) but the original
idle temp was 66 deg until I tidied the cabling in the case for an extra 3
deg reduction which was consistent through yesterday when I booted up at
diff times - this morning I spaced out my PCI cards (only really an audigy
and backup PCI modem in case the adsl router fails), removed the spare PCI
bay blanking plates and it's showing 61 deg consistently (ambient temp is
around ame as yesterday) . Still hot ofc until I apply the paste but just
shows what other factors can help reduce operating temps. Seems I have a
lot to learn about PC cooling but better late than never.

--
Sparky

.. .

Old July 4th 03, 04:58 PM
Doug G.

In article , stuff@progression-
uk.com says...
Actually, I am only using the PC for light work (checking email) atm until
the paste arrives (next day delivery so should be today) but the original
idle temp was 66 deg until I tidied the cabling in the case for an extra 3
deg reduction which was consistent through yesterday when I booted up at
diff times - this morning I spaced out my PCI cards (only really an audigy
and backup PCI modem in case the adsl router fails), removed the spare PCI
bay blanking plates and it's showing 61 deg consistently (ambient temp is
around ame as yesterday) . Still hot ofc until I apply the paste but just
shows what other factors can help reduce operating temps. Seems I have a
lot to learn about PC cooling but better late than never.

--
Sparky

Yep, keep on using that system even just for e-mail without any type of
thermal compound, and you're going to be learning a lot about CPU
cooling from the school of hard knocks.

Doug
Old July 5th 03, 02:54 AM
BooTwo

"Sparky" wrote in message
Ok, I adnmit it - my ignorance about applying cooling solutions allowed me
to 'forget' about sticking in some paste between my modest Akasa and my
XP2800 (Barton). CPU now running at 63 deg C idle and 73 deg C (Prime)
Load. So I have some Arctic Silver III on order - how much of a

difference
should I expect to se (assuming it is applied with the correct amount)?

--
Sparky

Just remember, when you get your arctic silver or ceramique, it will take
several days to see the "real" temp drop; but you should see immediate drops
right away.

Maybe go to best buy and get some cheap stuff till it comes? Scares me to
use petroleum products, but maybe these guys know more than me - bootwo

Thermal Paste Help archagon General 3 March 28th 04 05:55 AM
OCZ Ultra II thermal paste recall FelixC Overclocking 2 February 17th 04 04:52 PM
Thermal paste - General 12 November 15th 03 08:54 AM
Thermal pad or Thermal paste? Vin General 68 September 17th 03 05:38 AM
Thermal pad or Thermal paste? Vin Overclocking 73 September 17th 03 05:38 AM