Memory timings question

Old June 27th 03, 12:42 AM

Default Memory timings question

Is the stock timing for Corsair PC 3200 more aggressive than the stock
timings of Corsair PC 3500? The 3200 is 6-3-2-2 and the 3500 is 7-3-3-2.

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks.

--
Asus A7N8X deluxe rev. 2.0
AMD XP 3200+, 400fsb
Old June 27th 03, 06:04 AM

"Minotaur" wrote:
wrote in message
Is the stock timing for Corsair PC 3200 more aggressive than the stock
timings of Corsair PC 3500? The 3200 is 6-3-2-2 and the 3500 is
7-3-3-2.

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks.

--
Asus A7N8X deluxe rev. 2.0
AMD XP 3200+, 400fsb
Corsair 512 meg x 2, XMS PC 3500
Radeon 9800 Pro, 256 DDR

You have the correct information, the XMS PC 3200 has more aggressive
setings.
Has been speculation about this, that it is because they both use the
same memory chips?
and it is so just to get it running at the respected speeds of PC 3200 &
3500.
I would presume the XMS PC 3200 would be garranteed to run at those
speeds, but wouldn't
doubt the XMS PC 3500 either at those aggressive setings when running at
PC 3200 speeds.

Got some XMS-3500 here, 2X 512M sticks, FSB is @ 200, might try running
them @ 6-3-2-2
havn't really tried that configuration much before.. Just 6-2-2-2,
5-3-2-2, 7-2-2-2, all with some success
but usualy with voltage @ 2.8, not the stock 2.6, run it @ 2.7 since
there are two stick in there in
duel config @ 7-3-3-2.

Cheers Minotaur

A7N8X Del rev 1.04 BIOS 1004 UBER
AMD XP-2500 Barton @ 200X11, VCore 1.725
2X Corsair 512M XMS-3500
Sapphire 9700 np, flashed to Pro @ 342/324

Thanks alot for the info. I have it set at 6-3-3-2, same as the PC 3200 and
all seems fine. You say that the stock 3200 settings are more agressive
than the stock 3500 settings?

Old June 27th 03, 08:22 AM
Minotaur

Thanks alot for the info. I have it set at 6-3-3-2, same as the PC 3200

and
all seems fine. You say that the stock 3200 settings are more agressive
than the stock 3500 settings?

They are from comparisons 3500 is 7-3-3-2 (to get 434FSB its rated speed),
so should work with more aggressive setings at 400FSB.
3200 is rated at 400FSB if I am correct, so why they have it running with
tighter setings. 3200 also comes in Low Latency editions
garranteed to do 6-2-2-2 @ 200FSB.

A bit like CPU's IMHO, same memory, just rated in the factory differently to
guarrantee a particular speed.

Perhaps someone who has XMS-3200 LL could post what they get @ 434FSB (217),
6-2-2-2? or 7-3-3-2?