Cheap PSU finally failed, temporaily.

Old September 12th 06, 06:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

Default Cheap PSU finally failed, temporaily.

In march of 2004 I bought the cheapest 600W PSU I could find because the
400W I had wouldn't power up my New A64 3000+ system. A couple of people
here bet me it wouldn't last a year, Since that time I added 4 HDTV tuner
cards and a pata raid card to the box filling all 5 PCI slots. recently
changed MB to an AM2 X2 and moved the HDTV cards into it. Yeah, this
system really sucks the juice. Yesterday about 6pm the system crashed.
Rebooted only to have it shut itself down after about 30 seconds. this
happened several times. Checked the PSU fan on back and it was blowing
fine. A little puzzled and suspecting that the PSu gave up the ghost
I opened the case to find the second PSU fan wasn't coming on. tried
getting it to start by flipping with my finger, but it wouldn't start.
Anyway, unplugging the power cord, I took the screws out and let the PSU
hang out the side while I took it apart and then opened the tab on stuck
fan and dropped in a drop of brake fluid and started working the fan blade
around. This usually frees it pretty fast, but this one was stuborn.
Finally turned the PSU on and started helping it move and it finally took
off slowly. After about 5 minutes of running the fan finally took off at
full speed. Yeah, I had extra fans, but why bother changing it. So put it
back together and all is well again. So do I have to count this as a PSU
failure?:-)

Really just posted this for people that may have similar problems with
sytem turning off by themselves. Check your PSU fans.

Old September 13th 06, 02:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

Next the voltages go low. Or it kills some components.
Hopefully not.
After I replaced the fan in my cheapo it was lowering its voltages. That's
what the psu before it did.
Haven't trusted a cheapo again.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Old September 13th 06, 07:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:44:15 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

Next the voltages go low. Or it kills some components.
Hopefully not.

LOL. OK, I'll let you know when that happens. Will probably be a few more
years though.:-)

Old September 13th 06, 04:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul B

Thus spake Wes Newell:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:44:15 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

Next the voltages go low. Or it kills some components.
Hopefully not.

LOL. OK, I'll let you know when that happens. Will probably be a few
more years though.:-)

As an occasional visitor here Wes, I'm well aware of your reluctance to
spend out on PSUs I have a different criteria - quietness, both from new
& after substantial use. Fortunately, My XP-M2500+ is modest in its power
requirements as is my FX5200, so my 400W Q Technology is probably overkill.

--
Basically, I hate people who preface nearly every sentence with the word
'basically'!

Old September 13th 06, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:44:15 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

Next the voltages go low. Or it kills some components.
Hopefully not.

LOL. OK, I'll let you know when that happens. Will probably be a few more
years though.:-)

Yeah, it could work out ok.
I'd check the voltages under load every now and then.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Old September 13th 06, 11:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

"Paul B" wrote

Then you'd probably enjoy http://silentpcreview.com

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Old September 14th 06, 05:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:39:09 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:44:15 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

Next the voltages go low. Or it kills some components.
Hopefully not.

LOL. OK, I'll let you know when that happens. Will probably be a few more
years though.:-)

Yeah, it could work out ok.
I'd check the voltages under load every now and then.

Not worried about it. I've fixed many failed fans in PSU's. There's
nothing inherent between that and PSU failure.