What's the P4 equivalent ?

Old June 26th 03, 04:31 AM
Wes Newell

Default What's the P4 equivalent ?

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:45:05 +0000, ?uzzled wrote:

I'm running my 1800XP at 10 X 200 = 2Ghz.

A normal 2400XP runs at 2Ghz but is the equivalent of P4 2.4. However,
since I'm running my processor at 200FSB, what P4 is it the equivalent of
?

Well, a 2600+333 runs at 2083Mhz, so the extra 33MHz on the FSB will
probalby make up that 83Mhz in clock speed loss. So I'd say a 2600+ would
be pretty close. Why not 11x200? That shouldn't be a problem with a decent
cooler and maybe a little extra voltage.

Old June 26th 03, 10:58 AM
Josko Efendic

P4C 2.4GHz (800MHz FSB)

"?uzzled" wrote in message
I'm running my 1800XP at 10 X 200 = 2Ghz.

A normal 2400XP runs at 2Ghz but is the equivalent of P4 2.4. However,

since
I'm running my processor at 200FSB, what P4 is it the equivalent of ?

Bearing in mind of course that any little increase means a larger increase
in PR rating, example:

133 - 166 - 200 FSB

256K - 512K cache

Old June 26th 03, 03:09 PM
Courseyauto

"?uzzled" wrote in message
I'm running my 1800XP at 10 X 200 = 2Ghz.

A normal 2400XP runs at 2Ghz but is the equivalent of P4 2.4. However,

since
I'm running my processor at 200FSB, what P4 is it the equivalent of ?

Bearing in mind of course that any little increase means a larger increase
in PR rating, example:

133 - 166 - 200 FSB

256K - 512K cache

An XP1800 can't come close to the 2.4c 800 FSB ,especially with either using a
dual DDR motherboard. It would require more like an XP 2800 or better if
you compare them non overclocked, but if you overclock both of them the 2.4c
will wins hands down. The 2.4 will overclock in the 3.1 to 3.3 range with the
FSB up around 1000 to 1100 range. DOUG
Old June 26th 03, 08:21 PM
_Robbie_

?uzzled wrote:
I'm running my 1800XP at 10 X 200 = 2Ghz.

A normal 2400XP runs at 2Ghz but is the equivalent of P4 2.4.

[snip]

Nope... sorry... the AMD 'XP' rating doesn't compare to Intel chip
speeds, it's supposed to represent that the chip has the equivalent
performance of a Thunderbird chip running at the 'XP' rating.

Therefore, your 2400XP+ @ 2Ghz will perform the same as a Thunderbird
running at 2.4Ghz.

--
_Robbie_
::....::

Old June 26th 03, 10:45 PM
?uzzled

Nope... sorry... the AMD 'XP' rating doesn't compare to Intel chip
speeds, it's supposed to represent that the chip has the equivalent
performance of a Thunderbird chip running at the 'XP' rating.

Therefore, your 2400XP+ @ 2Ghz will perform the same as a Thunderbird
running at 2.4Ghz.

Are you sure about this ? The whole point of the PR rating was for the less
informed consumer to compare AMD against Intel.

The T'birds were faster than the P4s at the same clock speeds, but Intel
kept ramping up the Mhz and so AMD retaliated with the XPs and giving them
PR ratings. However, I think AMD have gone too far when little alterations
warrants higher PR ratings. Like a 1.8Ghz chips is a 2200XP with 256K cache
but stick 512K cache onto it and call it a 2500XP is ridiculous. With Intel,
when they doubled the cache on their chips, a 2Ghz was still a 2Ghz chip.

Old June 28th 03, 03:50 PM
SST

Sandra applies a PR (Performance Rating) value to all processors, its in the
"System Summary" section.

I have been making mental notes on all my CPU's as to their ratings. My
current system is a P4c on an Intel i875 chipset board (Abit IC7)
overclocked to 3.26Ghz (250MHz FSB, 1020Mhz effective). It
s PR=4330

My last system at 2400Mhz (AthlonXP/NF2) had a PR of about 3400 and my kids
XP/NF2 system at 2200Mhz has a PR rating of 3180.

Its impossible to compare these system to each other. A standardized
Performance Rating is going to be necessary. Sandra doesn't provide any
details about how they obtain it but it seems fairly accurate.

My newest Intel box is definitely allot faster then my last Athlon at
2400Mhz. Its PR is about 30% higher and I would say that is a fair
assessment of its performance increase. Game performance is a cool 15%
higher across the board and other more ordinary tasks feel a quite bit
faster.

"Josko Efendic" wrote in message
P4C 2.4GHz (800MHz FSB)