Overclocking XP2100+ high end "B" on MSI KT4

Old June 24th 03, 03:42 PM
Tony Low

Default Overclocking XP2100+ high end "B" on MSI KT4

Hi all,
I thought this chip can been overclock to 166 FSB easily. It seems not
at my end; I can only get it to run stable (using MadOnion 2003SE for stress
run) at 160 FSB. Anything higher than 160 will halt the stress run and drop
back to the desktop. BTW, I have decent quality rated PC2700 ram (cas 2.5)
and vcore is already at the highest (1.7) I can set in the bios. Any
suggestions or am I just bad luck? Thanks.

P.S. BTW, I am pretty sure heat is not an issue here. CPU is about 33 idle,
42 loaded.

MSI KT4 ultra (bios 1.3)
AMD XP2100+ (AXDA2100DUT3C, AIUHB)
Vantec Aeroflow HSF
2 X 256 PC2700 (333 MHz @ 2.5)
AOpen full tower with 3 case fans

Old June 24th 03, 04:18 PM
Frank Hagan

Tony Low wrote:

"Hi all,
I thought this chip can been overclock to 166 FSB easily. It seems not
at my end; I can only get it to run stable (using MadOnion 2003SE for stress
run) at 160 FSB. Anything higher than 160 will halt the stress run and drop
back to the desktop. BTW, I have decent quality rated PC2700 ram (cas 2.5)
and vcore is already at the highest (1.7) I can set in the bios. Any
suggestions or am I just bad luck? Thanks.

P.S. BTW, I am pretty sure heat is not an issue here. CPU is about 33 idle,
42 loaded.

MSI KT4 ultra (bios 1.3)
AMD XP2100+ (AXDA2100DUT3C, AIUHB)
Vantec Aeroflow HSF
2 X 256 PC2700 (333 MHz @ 2.5)
AOpen full tower with 3 case fans"

Pardon me if you've already done this:
Reset CMOS jumper
Set FSB and memory to 166 (yeah, I know, DUH, but check it anyway;-)
Set the divider to x5
Set multiplier to 10.5 to start with (stock XP2100 speed)
Set memory to most "relaxed" settings
Reboot

Hope this helps.

FRH

SY-KT400 DUB
XP2100 T'bred FSB173 x 12 (2076MHz) Core voltage 1.625
512MB Samsung PC3200 (set as PC2700)
WIN98SE
Antec SX-835 w/1x 80 mm side panel intake
Vantec Aeroflow 7040 and of course ASIII ;-)
LiteOn 48x24x48
Maxtor 40GB
Zip 250 USB (external)
ASUS GeForce4 MX440 AGP8x
On Board LAN and C-Media sound
USR 56k voice fax modem
2x 80mm intake / 2x 80mm exhaust
3x 40 mm HD cooler in 51/4" bay

System 27C / CPU socket 32C / room temp 77F

Old June 24th 03, 08:27 PM
Tony Low

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the advise. So, you are saying set the FSB at 166 and increase
the multipler starting from 10.5X? BTW, I should have pointed out that, all
the while, I am using the stock setting of 13X.
So, I am quite happy that I am getting 13 X 160 = 2.08 GHz already. I was
just wondering why I cant get it to 166 FSB as easily as everyone else. Oh
yeah, one more thing, the setting on the memory is at normal already.
Anyway, I am at work right now, I will try your suggestion tonite. Thanks.

Old June 25th 03, 02:54 AM
Frank Hagan

news

Tony Low wrote:

[...]

Yeah, keep the FSB at 166 and work up with the multipliers. Once you get up
to x12 or so you may have to increase your core voltage a bit. Change one
setting at a time then check for stability. I'm still playing around with
different settings to get stability with decent temps ;-)

Post your results when you get everything set up.

FRH

Old June 25th 03, 03:27 PM
Tony Low

Hmm...one question. Aren't all XP2100+ TBred high end "B" unlocked? The
system will not boot at any multiplers except 13X. Anyway, I let 3DMark
2001SE run the system for the whole nite @ 13 X 160 = 2.08 GHz and
everything is fine when I checked it this morning. Guessed I am alright with
only 160FSB as that extra 6FSB doesnt really bother me a lot, I was just
curious in the first place. Thanks.

P.S. These are the CPU Temp. about 33 idle, 40 loaded

MSI KT4 ultra (flashed to bios 1.4)
AMD XP2100+ (AXDA2100DUT3C, AIUHB)(13 X 160 = 2.08GHz @ 1.7v)
Vantec Aeroflow HSF
2 X 256 PC2700 (333 MHz @ cas 2.5)
ATI 8500LE 128MB AGP Video Card
Adaptec 2940UW SCSI Card
Soundblaster Live Sound Card
18GB Quantum Atlas V UW SCSI Hard Drive
9GB Quantum Viking II UW SCSI Hard Drive
Yamaha 16X10X40 CDRW
Hitachi DVD-ROM
AOpen HX08 Full Tower with 3X 80mm Case Fans
PC Power and Cooling Turbo300 PSU

Old June 26th 03, 02:32 AM
DrWho

Tony Low said...
Hi all,
I thought this chip can been overclock to 166 FSB easily. It seems not
at my end; I can only get it to run stable (using MadOnion 2003SE for stress
run) at 160 FSB. Anything higher than 160 will halt the stress run and drop
back to the desktop. BTW, I have decent quality rated PC2700 ram (cas 2.5)
and vcore is already at the highest (1.7) I can set in the bios. Any
suggestions or am I just bad luck? Thanks.

I could not get 166FSB (13x) stable with my XP2100+ until I reached 1.775
volts Vcore. I believe your problem is your motherboard. I've seen many
people get stable systems with 1.70 or less, but there are just as many
that need more. At 1.70 volts, my rig would fail Prime95 within a few
seconds. At 1.75, it would take several minutes, but would still fail.
At 1.775, it rocks. You just need more juice to the CPU.

--
My email address is BillG at Royal dot Org
Old June 26th 03, 02:45 PM
Tony Low

Hi Frank,
I believe it is the vcore. Anyway, I have just run another stress test
yesterday for the whole nite @ 13 X 162MHz = 2.106GHz and it is good. Have
tried 13 X 164MHz = 2.132GHz during the evening and stress test will halt
after a few tests. So I guessed, I can only get this CPU to run @ 162FSB
max. Thanks for the help so far.

"Frank Hagan" wrote in message

"Tony Low" wrote in message
news
[...]

news Hi Frank,

Tony Low wrote:

[...]

Very strange! I can set mine from x10.5 to x13. Haven't tried under 10.5

or
over 13. Might be a bios issiue. I'm not familiar with the MSI KT4. The
XP2100 T'bred is unlocked and born to overclock ;-) Any MSI KT4 ultra
owners please help!

FRH

Old June 27th 03, 03:06 AM
DrWho

Tony Low said...
Hi DrWho,
Yes, I believe that is the case; Vcore. Too bad, I cant set it higher
than 1.7v right now except doing the mod which I am not going to take the
risk. Anyway, I have just run another stress test yesterday for the whole
nite @ 13 X 162MHz = 2.106GHz and it is good. Have tried 13 X 164MHz =
2.132GHz during the evening and stress test will halt after a few tests. So
I guessed, I can only get this CPU to run @ 162FSB max. Thanks.

I could live with 162 FSB. 2.1Ghz ain't bad for a $60 CPU!

Glad to hear you found the sweet spot!

--
My email address is BillG at Royal dot Org